2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVjuji

Valued Member
Nov 29, 2019
Not to discourage you from applying but I attended one of their insight evenings and the HR said that they rarely take anyone from direct TC apps or maybe a single candidate.
Sorry but this is non sense. They take applicants from direct TC. They just said that they recommend applying for the VS (as most firms do)...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can anyone weigh in on this for me? I currently work for HMRC and am really considering applying for the Government Legal Trainee Scheme. However, as I've only been in my current civil service post since March, will this look bad? I would love to qualify as a lawyer in HMRC (and am really considering it as an option) but I don't know if my app will be looked down on as jumping from a position they have given me too early. Or if it will be a benefit?

@HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh - I know you deal a lot with the civil service (or I might be wrong) - any thoughts? :)

@Jessica Booker - Not sure if you know a great deal about this but any advice would be great!

Thank you all!
Don’t think this will be an issue. Civil Service recruit on merit and so things like how long you have been in a role mean nothing. It’s all off the basis of what your answers are and whether you meet the competency rather than your experience.

Reactions: Anon 11031

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know WHEN (i.e. which month) White & Case actually make direct TC offers? There is no timeline on their website relating to the process, unfortunately.
    As someone who is still in the process of my direct app last cycle

I applied in June I think, did a VI around November and then did a telephone interview in Jan, they said it would be a couple of weeks to hear back. I’ve not heard anything, I chased up via the phone and they said VS were taking priority at that time (mid March) and that it would be another couple weeks, it’s now mid April and I’ve still heard nothing

it’s also worth adding - when I did my telephone interview they suggested they’d already made all the telephone invites and they would just need to review before inviting to AC but then a couple months later more invites got made.

I really like the firm and until this point I’ve always heard glowing things from people about their grad rec team. That being said I would say that there has been a lack of info but I realise that is probably because of covid

Sam55

Esteemed Member
    Jan 28, 2020

I applied in June I think, did a VI around November and then did a telephone interview in Jan, they said it would be a couple of weeks to hear back. I’ve not heard anything, I chased up via the phone and they said VS were taking priority at that time (mid March) and that it would be another couple weeks, it’s now mid April and I’ve still heard nothing

it’s also worth adding - when I did my telephone interview they suggested they’d already made all the telephone invites and they would just need to review before inviting to AC but then a couple months later more invites got made.

I really like the firm and until this point I’ve always heard glowing things from people about their grad rec team. That being said I would say that there has been a lack of info but I realise that is probably because of covid
    to add to this, I've had a similar experience/timeline apart from I did my phone interview two weeks ago- they said they'd get back in 1-2 weeks so hopefully we'll hear soon?

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Who is the test provider? Got the link but doesn’t specify anything. Is your deadline Thursday?
    Yeah it doesn't say much but it does say 'from psionline' so maybe that? but have never heard of them

yeah my deadline is thursday - I just need to know if it's times though bc I require extra time, which I requested but they haven't got back to me

do you think I should email and ask?

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Yeah it doesn't say much but it does say 'from psionline' so maybe that? but have never heard of them

yeah my deadline is thursday - I just need to know if it's times though bc I require extra time, which I requested but they haven't got back to me

I think everyone's deadline is Thursday. I have the same deadline

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019

Yeah same just checked it’s from psi online. Email them now, and maybe chase them up with a call tomorrow morning too to make sure they are aware as the deadline is on Thursday and you need to know.

Good luck mate :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: cryingoverTCs

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Bakers WG is timed from what I remember but I don’t think they time the instructions. It was very similar to NRFs when I did it earlier this year. From what I’ve been told they have a relatively fair benchmark - personally I’ve passed their WG twice and I’m not the most confident on it.

• 🏆
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: JoNo, John Travoni and cryingoverTCs

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021

Thanks very much @LS12, I appreciate it! I hope you hear from them soon! Good luck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.