Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was wondering if you have any insight on this. I recently received an email telling me that the GLP trainee scheme is opening on June 1st. I'm definitely going to apply, most of the positions are in London but they have 2 in the Leeds office.

Would you happen to know whether being an existing civil servant will help my application at all? Are the civil service more willing/likely to accept someone already in the public sector?

Thanks! :)
Ultimately the way civil service recruitment works, it is all about assessing you against specific competencies rather than your experience. And so, you won’t have a direct advantage (they won’t weight your work experience) but I suspect having an understanding of the civil service and knowing their competency frameworks will help you indirectly.

A

Anon 11031

Ultimately the way civil service recruitment works, it is all about assessing you against specific competencies rather than your experience. And so, you won’t have a direct advantage (they won’t weight your work experience) but I suspect having an understanding of the civil service and knowing their competency frameworks will help you indirectly.
Thanks! This makes a lot of sense. I'm actually interviewing people for my role next week (despite only having been in it 3 months myself).

Do you think this is something worth mentioning in TC apps? Obviously it's a pretty big responsibility

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Has anyone got any advice for passing the WG please?
    There are some threads on here - I think that @Jessica Booker collated some resources at one point? Maybe try 'Watson Glaser' in the search box. There is also a TCLA course by Joe Mallet for premium members which is really helpful. @Alice G has a green book that she recommends that is referred to in the TCLA discussions on the WG. Sorry that my answer to this isn't more polished but I think if you root around you will find what you need. Good luck!

eg https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/forums/watson-glaser-and-case-study-resources.15/
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/watson-glaser-practice-questions.2365/

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks! This makes a lot of sense. I'm actually interviewing people for my role next week (despite only having been in it 3 months myself).

Do you think this is something worth mentioning in TC apps? Obviously it's a pretty big responsibility
    Yes, definitely something to include in TC apps

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    There are some threads on here - I think that @Jessica Booker collated some resources at one point? Maybe try 'Watson Glaser' in the search box. There is also a TCLA course by Joe Mallet for premium members which is really helpful. @Alice G has a green book that she recommends that is referred to in the TCLA discussions on the WG. Sorry that my answer to this isn't more polished but I think if you root around you will find what you need. Good luck!

eg https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/forums/watson-glaser-and-case-study-resources.15/
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/watson-glaser-practice-questions.2365/
    The book is by How2Become and I got it on Amazon - it is called 'Critical Thinking' I think from what I remember but you should be able to preview to check it is about the WG. The cover is indeed green :)

Reactions: Alison C

LeilaScott

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    I do!

Personally Dentons WG I didn't find too hard. It's not dissimilar to the AssessmentDay or Job Test Prep/Pearson Vue ones. The questions are very standard.

My personal approach was to practice practice practice, and also make sure I understood exactly what the questions were looking for. I prepared a sheet of paper where I had definitions of things like 'inference' and 'assumption' and also made sure I knew exactly what the components of a weak/strong argument are so I could compare it to the answers. E.g. strong argument = Relevant AND a good point so I had to make sure it fit with both the criteria to give it the pass. I think preparing for a WG in other ways is hard because they could ask you anything, but I'd also say if possible go back and reread your answers to check through if/when you've got a few spare minutes at the end before submitting (if possible, I think it is) to see if you've misread or misinterpreted anything from going through it too quickly. Hope this helps! I always find the WG nerve-wracking so make sure to take the time to calm down beforehand if you get like this too :)
    Thank you so much! This is super helpful! Im really glad theyve given us a while to do it, as the deadline for it is just after my finals start lol - i'll have to weave in like 30 mins of practice a day to do it in a week or so

• Love
    Reactions: Kablahc

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    Thank you! Cognify - my score exceeded 65% of comparison group. Emotify - my score exceeded 94% of the comparison group. I didn't include Values Fit since it's subjective. :)
    congratulations on your ac!! i reckon the "values fit" test matters significantly to ashurst. i didn't pass the winter vacation scheme round with scores of cognify 71% & emotify 92% which is quite similar to yours, presuming revelian uses the same comparison group to plot the bell curve

Reactions: OEO
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.