Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Hello! Hope you are doing fine.
I need some help regarding this Dentons application form question- "Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive"
Does the answer need to be about something personal that I have overcome or can it be about a challenge I faced and then I overcame it? For instance, I started an initiative to help more than 5000 underprivileged workers as part of the legal aid society of my law school, especially when it was difficult to do so during the lockdown as there were restrictions on movements and everything. Would this be fine?

Thank you for your time!
On the face of it, it sounds like a good example but you need to focus on the challenge behind it. It could have been quite easy to to do this 5,000 people, but for the next person on the next programme, it could have been really difficult to deliver it to 50 people! So explain the challenge/difficulties/obstacles/stresses, rather than just the example.

Reactions: Tushar

Tushar

Distinguished Member
Mar 18, 2020
On the face of it, it sounds like a good example but you need to focus on the challenge behind it. It could have been quite easy to to do this 5,000 people, but for the next person on the next programme, it could have been really difficult to deliver it to 50 people! So explain the challenge/difficulties/obstacles/stresses, rather than just the example.
Yes. Will use the STAR approach

A

Anon 11031

Well, I just got my Fieldfisher test results. Strengths being:
- relationship builder
- collaboration
- adaptability

Weakness:
- drive

That kind of concerns me, the last thing I want to come across as us unenthusiastic with no motivation 😬😔

annaliseleech

May 23, 2021
- relationship builder
- collaboration
- adaptability

Weakness:
- drive

That kind of concerns me, the last thing I want to come across as us unenthusiastic with no motivation 😬😔
I don't think you should be too concerned about the test result, it seems like the feedback is quite general and most candidates have very similar results. I'm sure it's not conclusive as to whether you will go to the next round.

• Love
Reactions: Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks so much! @Jessica Booker would the 2024 TC intake applications usually open this year (Sept-Dec 2021) for law students or only in May/June 2022 after the summer VSs are over?
If you are a law student applying for 2024 intakes, then I would recommend applying for vacation schemes in the Autumn and then applying for training contracts the following summer. Some firms may allow you to apply early for a training contract, but I would say it is rare for most firms to offer TCs before your penultimate year results are in. There are some exceptions, like being fast-tracked from a first year programme, but the general trend would be apply for Spring/Summer vacation schemes from August-January, and then TCs (if needed) in May-July.

Reactions: kitty_kat

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    - relationship builder
    - collaboration
    - adaptability

Weakness:
    - drive

Will never forget that my HSF test results came back with the exact opposite of what law firms want - disorganised, dislikes complexity, prefers working alone. By some miracle still made it to the AC that year. These tests really just work in mysterious ways 🧐 so I wouldn't be too worried about the results. For what its worth, yours seem pretty positive to me!

A

Anon 11031

Will never forget that my HSF test results came back with the exact opposite of what law firms want - disorganised, dislikes complexity, prefers working alone. By some miracle still made it to the AC that year. These tests really just work in mysterious ways 🧐 so I wouldn't be too worried about the results. For what its worth, yours seem pretty positive to me!
    If I'm being honest, these tests seem to do a pretty good job of pinpointing my weaknesses! I'm very much a 'happy to do anything' sort of person most of the time, and don't really care what the end goal or objective is for me.

Although that's usually more of a personal thing, I care about what it means for a business but not for me - if that makes any sense at all? My points of improvement were to celebrate achievements more etc. It's probably a fair comment, I probably need to be kinder to myself!

After thinking about it I'm a little less worried. I would have been more worried if it came back and said I was a horrible team-worker or something!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.