2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OEO

Star Member
Jan 14, 2021
Ashurst TC offer!!!!
I'm still in shock. But I've got a few words of encouragement. This is my 3rd application cycle and this cycle I received 11 PFOs out of 12 applications. I had honestly accepted that if I didn't get a TC offer this cycle, I would have pursued a career elsewhere.

Guys, it's going to happen and I know it's cliché but you'll actually find the firm that you're a fit for too. Please don't give up! Thank you to everyone on this forum, I don't post often but I'm a lurker.

Please feel free to message me if you need any help or advice at all! xx

A

Anon 11031

Yeah, I have given up hope too. It seems a lot of people are still waiting, so maybe we are jumping the gun in assuming the worst, but I didn't have high hopes anyway, LOL.
Yeah, I haven't heard either. 22nd of June with scope to have ACs by the end of the month is ambitious, to say the least.

Reactions: glaw23

Mxkry

Legendary Member
Oct 13, 2020
After initially thinking I wasn't even going to bother applying for training contracts, I think I'm going to attempt a few.

I think one of my issues in applications is explaining my initial interest in commercial law. Partially, it is a result of my motivations not being 'pure'. I was always good at humanities and thought law would be a good choice and naturally commercial law was an attractive option.
Obviously, such an explanation does not suffice.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
"A rejection is not a rejection until it is" just got a whole new meaning..... just got a TC interview invite after applying beginning of November 2020.... and the best part is it is in person (finally!). Never lose hope people!
Yes!! HUGE congratulations to you and how exciting it’s in person! The whole forum is rooting for you!! 🎉🎉

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a final tc interview tomorrow but feel like everything I have been preparing has completely left my brain lol and I'm panicking. Not sure whether to call it a day or to cram.
Call it a day. Just get everything set up for the interview (e.g. clothes/equipment etc) maybe do some light reading/prep first thing in the morning,

• 🤝
Reactions: E.A and YFA

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I have a final tc interview tomorrow but feel like everything I have been preparing has completely left my brain lol and I'm panicking. Not sure whether to call it a day or to cram.
This is totally understandable, I used to get this outside exam halls like 5 mins before and feel really panicked but as soon as you’re in there, taken a sip of water and composed yourself your adrenaline will be flowing and you’ll remember more than you even realise you can.
Very best of luck to you, I agree with Jess, really try to get yourself a good night’s sleep or if you might struggle to then try to switch off as best you can, whether that’s listening to music, Netflix, reading or anything else!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and YFA
D

Deleted member 2707

After initially thinking I wasn't even going to bother applying for training contracts, I think I'm going to attempt a few.

I think one of my issues in applications is explaining my initial interest in commercial law. Partially, it is a result of my motivations not being 'pure'. I was always good at humanities and thought law would be a good choice and naturally commercial law was an attractive option.
Completely felt this!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

For what it's worth, commercial law wasn't always what I wanted to do.

I settled on "being a lawyer" quite young, but up until I was about 18 I planned to go to the Scots criminal bar. Did some work experience and realised that world just wasn't for me, and I also wanted to out of Scotland.

Around the same time I started investigating commercial stuff in London and figured that it's actually a better synergy of my interests, passions and abilities than criminal. Started doing schemes with Rare and AS and fell in love with it and here I am a couple years down the line with my TC lol. Authenticity is more important than having some amazing "lightbulb moment" story!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If Shoosmiths or Pinsents give me a PFO today I swear I am having the worst birthday luck 😂😂😂
    Happy Birthday GIF by Vimodji

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.