Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Just finished my first ever final interview - have NO IDEA what to do with myself.

The best thing to do is to unwind, grab a drink and forget about it! Seeing as its the end of the week, they probably won't get back to you until next week anyway. Also if by chance you're like me and tend to have a lot of extra pent up nervous energy even after the interview - take a long walk or run! :)

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    Hi, does anyone know whether firms test you on the languages you list in your applications? I can speak a second language (my mother tongue) but I'm rusty - I don't want to undersell myself but if they do test then I would be even more wary of overselling

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, does anyone know whether firms test you on the languages you list in your applications? I can speak a second language (my mother tongue) but I'm rusty - I don't want to undersell myself but if they do test then I would be even more wary of overselling
    Unlikely unless the programme you have applied or has a language requirement.

If you are worried about over selling though, you might want to change the descriptions on your application.

Reactions: lawstudent12345

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019

Honesty is the best policy!

I also have a second language (which I used to be fluent in but now rusty). I always put intermediate/advanced level in my application forms. Chances are you will never be tested on it at interview (unless it was a language requirement), however, if its any anecdote I was quite randomly tested on my second language in a VS interview (with no language requirement) as my interviewer was fluent in it. If it were not for being honest in my application form I would have probably been caught out!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just been offered a training contract at my top firm :) I haven’t been very vocal on the forum but I just wanted to say, for anyone considering getting the premium version of TCLA I would 100% recommend! It was really worth it. All of the resources have been invaluable to me this cycle 🤩
    Delighted to hear this - well done!

Reactions: Law200

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

I want to echo what Jessica said above, but I have heard anecdotally that Withers might test you on it.

Reactions: lawstudent12345

philjones

Feb 4, 2021
    Hi guys, bit of advice needed. I've received a TC offer with a deadline of Tuesday the 10th. Another firm told me they'll get back to me in a few weeks. Is it standard practice to request an extension to the TC acceptance deadline or do firms hate it and it will reflect badly on me? Thanks a lot!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.