2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhph34

Feb 6, 2021
It won’t be a cut off score, it will be a percentile. Probably somewhere between the 50-70th percentile for most firms, but that doesn’t mean a lot really (as you don’t know who you are being ranked against to get your percentile ranking).
I did freshfields watson glaser and my score was better than or equal to 73% of the individuals in the norm group. The norm group used for their graduate selection process is “law graduates”.

Does this put me in good stead, or just okay?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I did freshfields watson glaser and my score was better than or equal to 73% of the individuals in the norm group. The norm group used for their graduate selection process is “law graduates”.

Does this put me in good stead, or just okay?
Sounds like the 73rd percentile (rather than a percentage). Yes, I would be surprised if this didn’t put you in a good position.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Guys,

I need to rent an office space for one week for me and my girlfriend. Do you know if I can get in touch with someone?

Thanks in advance

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
Jan 8, 2021
Hi! I'm starting GDL at ULaw in September and also keen for similar info.

YourGDL and GDL Answered haven't released the updated versions yet (I think both should be out soon), which is irritating as I'd go through them otherwise. I did get Glanville Williams' Learning the Law in the meantime, which I think should be helpful for overall approach and the basic module on the legal system. I also found some Youtube channels (The Law Simplified, The Law Bank and Studicata) that seem helpful for explaining concepts and cases?
Fantastic! Let's keep each other updated about when the updated versions come out :)

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Has anyone had receipt of application for Radcliffes Le Brasseur? Sent my cover letter and CV on the deadline
I had an email on Saturday(?!?) asking for the results of my GDL (ULaw online is a 12 month course so doesn't finish until September) so they are looking at them. I didn't receive a confirmation when submitting it though

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Guys,

I need to rent an office space for one week for me and my girlfriend. Do you know if I can get in touch with someone?

Thanks in advance
Where abouts are you looking? I have just had to go through this process (albeit longer term) so might be able to make some recommendations.

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
Same here! Application still hasn’t updated from then either 😭
So confused because I have only see one person say they have been offered an AC, whereas I expected more people to have got one from TCLA! Starting to think PFO which will be SO frustrating because I really thought my app was good AND I actually did well in the WG for once 😂 WHAT WILL IT TAKE!!

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
Does anyone have some general AC preparation tips? I feel a bit overwhelmed with the resources and advice on here. Are there some core things I can focus on generally, regardless of the firm?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Does anyone have some general AC preparation tips? I feel a bit overwhelmed with the resources and advice on here. Are there some core things I can focus on generally, regardless of the firm?

Any advice much appreciated :)
    What helped me was breaking it down into what you need to prep for each task you’ll be doing! For example,

1. Case Study
    •practise TCLA written exercise/case study

2. Partner Interview
    •Restudy values
    •Practise why this firm
    •Prepare questions

etc.

Nothing ground breaking boiling it down like this, but it helped me get through the fog of trying to prepare everything and anything. You might find it helps too with drawing out research for other parts. For example, while you might prepare information on recent cases for the interview, that information will nevertheless be helpful in any group task.

On top of that, the only advice would be to have confidence in yourself! There’s only so much you can prepare for and if you go in as yourself, assured in your experiences and motivations, you’re already well-prepared.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.