2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
The answer to when you would take the SQE very much depends on the firm you have secured the TC with. Some firms are letting their trainees do their SQE prep during their training contract rather than before it.
I've seen this, I think Reed Smith is doing this? What I'm wondering is whether this means that these firms will stop recruiting two years in advance and essentially trim out two years of the qualification process, or whether it will still be 3-4 years from securing a TC to qualifying

Iris best

Distinguished Member
Oct 29, 2020
Guys I am feeling so demoralised about my applications. I feel like I’d finally improved and produced what I thought was a really strong freshfields application, got in the 80th percentile for the test and I just KNOW I didn’t get it. What am I not doing enough of ? I’m losing all confidence in myself

• 🤝
Reactions: Tushar and karinny

SamTam99

Legendary Member
Jan 5, 2021
Little bit confused, if my Freshfields application hasn’t been updated since the 23rd of July (when I received the WG) does that mean it just hasn’t been looked at since then or that they just haven’t made a decision on it yet?

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020
For those also waiting- just got a Freshies TC assessment day invite this morning! so keep an eye out (did WG last week). Any tips would be greatly appreciated 😬
Hi, Congratulations!! Which dates did they have available for ACs if you don't mind me asking

Reactions: Al1793

IRO

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer 5
Jan 21, 2021
Can anyone offer some advice on the Macfarlanes AC this cycle?
Let me know if advice on the AC would still be helpful. I did the VS with Macs this summer and the assessments on the VS are the same as the direct TC AC so I should have relevant advice if you’re still interested.

Barnsworth

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    Looking for some honest/brutal advice here. I got my GDL results and overall I got a high commendation which I am happy with but I screwed up my contract exam and only got a 52. I want to know whether it’s even worth applying to city firms with this result next year or whether I should focus on another area of law. Thank you!
    As someone who did really bad in my contract law (was a first year module during my LLB) I've been told my some specific recruiters that it's not an issue because other grades were higher. If it was purely about the grades they'd already have that benchmark set. Don't let it dissuade you from pursuing TC's or a career in law. If anything, having a spread of different grades in different areas says interesting things about you. Contract law is hard, yes, it's important too but you've shown that you excel in different areas. Don't let it put you off imho.

• Love
    Reactions: Tangle and karinny

Barnsworth

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    thank you soso much for taking the time to work through your thinking on my situation, i really appreciate it. i will have a long and hard think about what i want to do in the short term and work it out from there to the end game. i think i'm just overthinking because i've not had direct feedback from firms before as to why i've been rejected at post-app/post-wg. i think my ideal job would be something like being a construction counsel but that's really niche so perhaps a generic paralegal experience might build me up to the TC. i'm in a bit of an awkward situation because i just qualified as an architect right before the beginning of my GDL so i've only had max 3 years of architectural practice experience so i don't feel like i'm exactly a "career" changer with a lot to leverage. sorry for the long rant but thank you again for taking the time to write to me 🥲
    Ok - so let's flesh this out.

1. You're looking to work in a niche area of law that involves both your construction background and your legal knowledge = That's excellent, try to create a network. - Are other people working in that area? Do firms have those areas, if so, find out who they are and when you apply put exactly that on your application. Find out who the partners are for those areas, who are the associates ,connect on linked in etc.

2. Either of these careers look like they could have great rewards - I mean if you did go down teh architecht/construct route - are they architecht firms that have a legal aspect, or that have big legal departments. Apply for those or speak to the legal counsels within those firms.

I don't think your worries are actually worries, I think they're super interesting and your experience is fascinating.

Reactions: Kablahc and BiancaM

Tangle

Jan 30, 2021
    As someone who did really bad in my contract law (was a first year module during my LLB) I've been told my some specific recruiters that it's not an issue because other grades were higher. If it was purely about the grades they'd already have that benchmark set. Don't let it dissuade you from pursuing TC's or a career in law. If anything, having a spread of different grades in different areas says interesting things about you. Contract law is hard, yes, it's important too but you've shown that you excel in different areas. Don't let it put you off imho.
    Thank you that has really reassured me. I was feeling pretty down about it so I appreciate it :)

ChantelleTen

Mar 9, 2021
    Hey TCLA

Thought I'd come with a word of encouragement - after 4 years of "Unfortunately we've decided not to progress your application forward" emails, I got the "We'd like to offer you a Training Contract with us". This journey was NOT a walk in the park, it took a lot of being kicked down, dusting myself off, getting back up, entering with a fresh mind and trying something new.

My success cannot only be attributed to myself but everyone around me, friends, family, colleagues and strangers over the internet (that's you guys!). It has been a GRUELLING journey. Remember you literally only need ONE yes!

To those that got TCs this time round - congratulations!

To those that didn't, I genuinely believe your time will come. Keep at it and stay connected to a community like this, it really helps!

Star Wars Salute GIF

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.