2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArashSh

Standard Member
Jul 26, 2021
BCLP video interview invite with a grad rec if anyone’s still waiting! Though will have to turn down as already accepted elsewhere but hopefully will free up one more space (if it even works like that)
Congrats on your TC offer!
Do you mind saying when you applied for the BCLP TC? I submitted mine on April 23 and haven't heard back yet.

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Little bit annoyed at the fact Fieldfisher never got back to me in regards to feedback. They advised that I could arrange a session with them by the end of last month with the notes from the partners that I interviewed with, yet I've heard complete radio silence since. Just frustrating as I'd love to reapply next year if possible, but no idea how to improve if they can't be bothered to hold up their end of the bargain. Alas, just a quick vent. I appreciate they're busy with recruitment - I'd just prefer it if they didn't hold to a timeline and then not stick to it anyway. :rolleyes:

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2019
    Sorry to hear that - I still haven't heard from Harbottle...
    I don’t want to speak badly about a firms recruitment practices but Harbottle aren’t like any other firm I’ve applied to. I did an interview with them last year and they refused to give me any feedback after waiting a month for a rejection. In my humble opinion that’s pretty poor! I’d be surprised if you get a response from them at all. Wishing you all the luck with you applications!

• 🤝
    Reactions: BrerRabbit and karinny

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    BCLP video interview invite with a grad rec if anyone’s still waiting! Though will have to turn down as already accepted elsewhere but hopefully will free up one more space (if it even works like that)
    Definitely works like that! They'll be keeping an eye on the pipeline of candidates coming through and withdrawing and will bring more through if needed

• ℹ️
    Reactions: ArashSh and jan28

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Little bit annoyed at the fact Fieldfisher never got back to me in regards to feedback. They advised that I could arrange a session with them by the end of last month with the notes from the partners that I interviewed with, yet I've heard complete radio silence since. Just frustrating as I'd love to reapply next year if possible, but no idea how to improve if they can't be bothered to hold up their end of the bargain. Alas, just a quick vent. I appreciate they're busy with recruitment - I'd just prefer it if they didn't hold to a timeline and then not stick to it anyway. :rolleyes:
    Contact them again - you have a right to chase up.

Reactions: Noodles52

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    I don’t want to speak badly about a firms recruitment practices but Harbottle aren’t like any other firm I’ve applied to. I did an interview with them last year and they refused to give me any feedback after waiting a month for a rejection. In my humble opinion that’s pretty poor! I’d be surprised if you get a response from them at all. Wishing you all the luck with you applications!
    I personally think not providing any feedback after getting to the interview stage is ridiculous. I literally just mentioned something similar about Fieldfisher. It was myself and 4 others who got to the final hurdle, and all 4 other applicants had a TC offer. I asked for feedback as they actually offered to me beforehand anyway, then have completely ghosted since. I was thinking of applying to their paralegal position on offer as of recent, but now I'm not so sure. I can't really understand why it's so difficult to just send an applicant a copy of the notes to reflect on, at the very least. Leaves a not-so-good impression.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I personally think not providing any feedback after getting to the interview stage is ridiculous. I literally just mentioned something similar about Fieldfisher. It was myself and 4 others who got to the final hurdle, and all 4 other applicants had a TC offer. I asked for feedback as they actually offered to me beforehand anyway, then have completely ghosted since. I was thinking of applying to their paralegal position on offer as of recent, but now I'm not so sure. I can't really understand why it's so difficult to just send an applicant a copy of the notes to reflect on, at the very least. Leaves a not-so-good impression.
    Because the interview notes are not in a presentable format and may not make sense anyway, as its not necessarily comparing your performance to others. Follow up with them and ask for the feedback again.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    I did a vac scheme, waited almost two months to get a standard rejection e-mail saying that unfortunately the firm couldn't offer feedback lol

SB1539

Star Member
    Feb 26, 2021
    Hi I have just completed the LPC at the University of Law and these are some tips I would give:
    • Make sure you organise your notes as it makes it so much easier when you come to consolidate your notes for revision and for the open-book exams. Tab your books/folders so you can easily flick to areas so you don't waste time in open-book exams
    • Some people may say try and refresh your basic contracts knowledge before starting the LPC which is useful but I did the LPC a few years after my law degree and I didn't do this and was fine.
    • Keep on top of your workload - The LPC can be quite intense and you can be expected to cover a lot of content in one week. Doing so will really help come revision time. So make sure you try to do all the reading and if you can't, make sure to do it after as consolidation and do the test and feedback questions as they are great practice for the Multiple Choice Questions.
    • I studied the LPC part-time so I found using a diary really helpful to plan in a certain amount of hours in the evening after work to ensure I covered the pre-reading before a workshop. In addition, I bought a wall planner so you can physically see when the exams days/mock assessments/holidays were and plan around it.
    Hope that helps :)
    This is so so helpful thank you!!!

Reactions: siddi7

Bee6

Star Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Hi all,

In a direct TC interview, how likely is it that a graduate recruiter/partner etc. will ask whether I have accepted a TC offer at another firm? If it is very likely that I will be asked this question, and thus, I have to disclose that I already accepted a TC (as I only had a very short deadline after the VS), is it still worth me going to the interview/ will it be an immediate rejection for me? @Jessica Booker what are your thoughts? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

In a direct TC interview, how likely is it that a graduate recruiter/partner etc. will ask whether I have accepted a TC offer at another firm? If it is very likely that I will be asked this question, and thus, I have to disclose that I already accepted a TC (as I only had a very short deadline after the VS), is it still worth me going to the interview/ will it be an immediate rejection for me? @Jessica Booker what are your thoughts? Thank you!
    Unlikely to be asked if you have accepted a TC but very likely to be asked where else you have applied and where you are up to in the recruitment process for the firms.

Reactions: Bee6

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Why has W&C not got back to us regarding TC applications ?😭 their applications closed on like the 16th July😩
    Last cycle, they got back to me about the direct TC app in late September - maybe hold off on checking your emails for them for now.

YFA

Mar 10, 2019
    Looking for some honest/brutal advice here. I got my GDL results and overall I got a high commendation which I am happy with but I screwed up my contract exam and only got a 52. I want to know whether it’s even worth applying to city firms with this result next year or whether I should focus on another area of law. Thank you!
    Few days late to seeing this but I got similar in contract and also land - got a low 2.1 overall and managed to secure at an international firm. So long as you get a 2.1 most firms will be fine - although ofc there are a few that might be more rigorous academically. I did get asked about it in interviews - just be honest and say you screwed up the exam but how you learned from it etc. But don't make it into a whole long explanation as then it makes it a big deal (which I learned the hard way haha). Hope that helps - you will be absolutely fine!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Tangle
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.