2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
How does everyone prepare for VIs? (do you write out potential answers/notes beforehand?)

I have done a couple and tended to over-prepare, which hasn't worked well! Would so so interested/grateful for any tips! 😅

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Just had an e-mail from RPC... I was expecting for it to be a rejection but it said I should hear back by the end of February. I know it's pessimistic but I've seen lots of people getting test invites who applied after me, and reading back over my application I don't feel like it's that strong. I'm not sure why they couldn't just give me the rejection now...

I think maybe they got more applications than they expected so they're just sending out this sort of message?
If you are rejected, you can apply for the TC in the same academic year so if you do really like the firm at least you don't have to wait until next october to make am application again :)

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    @Jessica Booker if you've selected own if the VS date options on an application for a VS are they set in stone?
    If someone has had a change in circumatabce and an earlier VS would be better would that doable?
    I.e. a firm offers 2 VS: 1 in June, 1 in July. An applicant puts down July originally but then wants to do June?

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s sectors/ departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why? (500 words)

Could someone please help me with this question-

Earlier posts have suggested the following approach- detailing why you are interested in 'a specific sector/department' and then going into 'an area within the said sector' and why you are interested in it- i.e. linking your answers to part 1 and 2 of the question.
    e.g. 'I am interested in the 'Real Estate and Infrastructure' department because of x. Within the 'Real Estate and Infrastructure' department, I am interested in 'Planning' because of Y.

Is this the best way to approach it? Or should the questions be approached separately? Is the first part of question asking more generally what we find attractive about BCLP's sector- approach?

Thanks,

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    Also, for work experience sections with short word limits (100 words), is it better to chose one task/responsibility and detail this with CAR/STAR, or should we try to outline more tasks at the expense of a fuller analysis of each?

Thanks,

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker if you've selected own if the VS date options on an application for a VS are they set in stone?
    If someone has had a change in circumatabce and an earlier VS would be better would that doable?
    I.e. a firm offers 2 VS: 1 in June, 1 in July. An applicant puts down July originally but then wants to do June?

Yes - these things are sometimes moveable. However, really depends on where the firm is up to with its recruitment and also the requirements of the other people offered. There might not always be the space to move you across.

Reactions: Celestie
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.