Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I wanted to make it a good one. Request from @Lumree for more HIMYM I believe
    america wait GIF

• Love
    Reactions: OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Also PFO from SPB, I applied in the same week as the deadline as well

I don't know about any of you but I found the rejection email quite patronising? Where it said "Unfortunately in this instance we did not feel your application demonstrated all of the above to the level required. Due to the volume of applications we have received, we are not in a position to offer you individual feedback on your application. However it may be possible for you to receive such feedback from a careers advisor at your university; they should be able to help you identify which areas can be improved and how best to achieve this." - I don't think they even read my application! I don't go to university, graduated years ago and have been working ever since... I know you sometimes you can go back to your university careers service, but I still found it incredibly patronising
    I also wasn't a fan of the email! They also managed to refer to the application as for a placement scheme and then for a training contract further down the email ...

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Do people feel like this year it is much more competitive? Like there are much more applications than usual or something?

I don't know if it is because of the pandemic, but last year and the year before that felt somewhat more....more "straightforward"....less waiting time etc...

Reactions: thirdtimelucky and bibss

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    I also wasn't a fan of the email! They also managed to refer to the application as for a placement scheme and then for a training contract further down the email ...

Yes!!! I thought the same thing! Especially given the fact that one of the points of feedback in the list was "Attention to detail (including spelling, punctuation and grammar)" and on top of what you said, there were definitely missing commas in the email and the random capital letter in "Motivation & Drive towards both a career in law and working for Squire Patton Boggs" 😄

There wasn't even a "Dear [name]"...

AS2000

Distinguished Member
    Nov 15, 2020
    Does anyone know how long does Mayer Brown take to get back to candidates after the Verbal Test? Also, am I screwed if I didn't do well on the test? Scored "average" on the best. Don't know what went wrong, usually do well on those. Hope it turns out well.

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Yes!!! I thought the same thing! Especially given the fact that one of the points of feedback in the list was "Attention to detail (including spelling, punctuation and grammar)" and on top of what you said, there were definitely missing commas in the email and the random capital letter in "Motivation & Drive towards both a career in law and working for Squire Patton Boggs" 😄

There wasn't even a "Dear [name]" on the email...
    Oh wow really! I have no ill will against them but I remember starting their application and getting frustrated - I’m not sure if it was a problem on my end but it seemed as if you had to do the application in one sitting? In the end I just didn’t apply 😂 did not need another thing to add to the stress of the whole application process

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Oh wow really! I have no ill will against them but I remember starting their application and getting frustrated - I’m not sure if it was a problem on my end but it seemed as if you had to do the application in one sitting? In the end I just didn’t apply 😂 did not need another thing to add to the stress of the whole application process

Mine was the same! You couldn't save your application so had to restart every time you came back to it. It was very frustrating!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Do people feel like this year it is much more competitive? Like there are much more applications than usual or something?

I don't know if it is because of the pandemic, but last year and the year before that felt somewhat more....more "straightforward"....less waiting time etc...
    At my CMS AC, grad rec said there was roughly about 36% more applications this year than last year! I imagine its perhaps increased across the board as well

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Yeah I'm starting to worry about this for Withers too - last year they got back to me at the end of November with my AC for January. This year - radio silence:oops:
    oh god its the worst! I'm waiting on Mishcon post VI and rejection from SPB (VI last year)! In some ways, its clear how random it can be because I've 100% improved from last year but clearly I was more successful lol. Fingers crossed you hear back soon and its positive!!

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Does anyone know how long does Mayer Brown take to get back to candidates after the Verbal Test? Also, am I screwed if I didn't do well on the test? Scored "average" on the best. Don't know what went wrong, usually do well on those. Hope it turns out well.
    It depends, last year I waited 2 weeks, this year I waited approx 4 weeks post test to get telephone interview invite. Don't worry too much about the test as I got to the AC last year with one below average, one above and rest average

Reactions: AS2000
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.