2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi. I apologise for posting this on here but this thread seems to be the most active. I need some general advice and have nowhere else to turn to. My issue literally feels like one of those situational judgement questions people gets asked in interviews, but unfortunately this is very real.

Someone I know at university has failed an exam (due to serious issues going on at home). Now, they have offered me money to do their resit for them. I have rejected them for obvious reasons. I have proof of me rejecting them so I am in no way at risk.

However, I have the feeling that they may just go and find someone else who will agree to help them. I want to know if I should report them to the university or not. I sympathise with their position and their home situation, however I feel extremely uncomfortable with knowing about this situation and how it may play out if nobody intervenes.

I just don’t know what to do and am asking for any advice at all. Thank you in advance.
If it was me, I wouldn’t. It’s simply not your business. They asked you, you said no. That’s it. You are just assuming they’re going to do ask someone else.
Any consequences they face are their problem and it’s the risk they are willing to take. I don’t think it’s right to report them morally in my opinion, they are clearly suffering enough I don’t think you should get involved in the problem.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hi. I apologise for posting this on here but this thread seems to be the most active. I need some general advice and have nowhere else to turn to. My issue literally feels like one of those situational judgement questions people gets asked in interviews, but unfortunately this is very real.

Someone I know at university has failed an exam (due to serious issues going on at home). Now, they have offered me money to do their resit for them. I have rejected them for obvious reasons. I have proof of me rejecting them so I am in no way at risk.

However, I have the feeling that they may just go and find someone else who will agree to help them. I want to know if I should report them to the university or not. I sympathise with their position and their home situation, however I feel extremely uncomfortable with knowing about this situation and how it may play out if nobody intervenes.

I just don’t know what to do and am asking for any advice at all. Thank you in advance.
I personally wouldn't escalate the situation as you have already said no so have separated yourself from the situation. I think it would be better to speak to them directly and tell them to explain their home situation to their personal tutor and ask for an uncapped resit/ extension/ deferral as this may help them more and will still be somebody intervening

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
If there's serious issues going on at home the university should take that into account variously - uncapped resit, capped resit, extenuating circumstances, repeating the module, pass/fail, etc.

You should tell them to be honest with their personal tutor and ask for help rather than cheating. It is so much easier to just ask for help, there are generally so many procedures in place to get students over the line.

If it was me, I would tell them to go their tutor. I would also flag it with the relevant person.
Thank you so much- I am trying to construct some advice for them so I will definitely include this!

Reactions: jan28

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019

I’m sure they acknowledge the risk of getting caught but you could be the person that brings sense to them one last time by reminding them the consequences of taking that risk. I wouldn’t tell on them but I would talk to them and remind them if it’s not you, someone else they ask might be the one to tell on them, which ofc would be a disaster for them, on top of everything they are going through. I’d be the friend they might not want but need in this instance :)

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
I personally wouldn't escalate the situation as you have already said no so have separated yourself from the situation. I think it would be better to speak to them directly and tell them to explain their home situation to their personal tutor and ask for an uncapped resit/ extension/ deferral as this may help them more and will still be somebody intervening
I agree I am more comfortable with not escalating this (especially because I do feel sympathetic about their home situation), but I was just hesitant about not doing anything at all. Thank you for your advice!

Reactions: GK8997

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
Personally, I would just leave it as it is - you have said no. Talking to them is a better option first rather than just reporting them - suggest they talk to their personal tutor about extenuating circumstances or an extension, any other options etc.

You also said they have serious issues going on at home, if they are also having mental health issues, I also wouldn't want to be responsible for someone doing something to themselves, you never know what might push someone over the edge.
If it was me, I wouldn’t. It’s simply not your business. They asked you, you said no. That’s it. You are just assuming they’re going to do ask someone else.
Any consequences they face are their problem and it’s the risk they are willing to take. I don’t think it’s right to report them morally in my opinion, they are clearly suffering enough I don’t think you should get involved in the problem.
I agree, I really want to avoid taking this any further and potentially harming them any more, but I was hesitant in my decision in case it would have been better to flag this up with the university. I am currently trying to construct some general advice for them instead, and hopefully it will help them. Thank you both so much for your insights!

Reactions: M1999

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Anyone else still waiting to hear from Osborne Clarke? Seen offers and rejections now
    Bored Cabin Fever GIF

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    I’m sure they acknowledge the risk of getting caught but you could be the person that brings sense to them one last time by reminding them the consequences of taking that risk. I wouldn’t tell on them but I would talk to them and remind them if it’s not you, someone else they ask might be the one to tell on them, which ofc would be a disaster for them, on top of everything they are going through. I’d be the friend they might not want but need in this instance :)
    That is a good point that I didn't consider. I will mention this to them and also, thank you for your advice!

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Anyone who done the BCLP test, did you refer to the firm's competencies or just base answer on your own judgement and common sense. They say you cant prepare for the test as it is bespoke to BCLP.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Very challenging situation and I commend your response to this point.

I can't say what you should do one way or the other; all I can say is what I'd personally do in the same circumstances. Personally, I wouldn't look to escalate things by 'turning them in' per se - it may be an offer they've made without fully thinking things through and don't have further intention of following it through, for example. I would advise them to just speak to their PT, advise them of the issues going on and ask what support the uni can offer. Make sure they fully understand the potential ramifications of the actions.

If you told them all this and they didn't listen to you, then told you they'd found someone else to sit it for them and they planned to take them up on it... that's a different matter. I've got to be honest and say that at that point I would feel obliged to report it to the university, purely for the reason that it shows flagrant disregard for due process and consequences and is also grossly unfair on other students who have done things by the book in spite of whatever circumstances they've been in. I'm not saying, by any means, to go on a fishing expedition and ask until you find out - no need to be a detective about it - but if I was given that information, I couldn't sit on it in good conscience.

Bear in mind that my input might be slightly cynical here in terms of students in my cohort - I have personally had students in my class make an official complaint about a reasonable adjustment that was made for me during university exams, so I'm generally of the 'hang em and flog em' approach as a result of that. I've also personally had to sit exams in spite of nightmarish circumstances (I sat 2nd year exams when still on huge doses of Oxycodone after breaking my back, I could barely string a sentence together, handed in essays days after a family bereavement etc) and, I'll be the first to admit, find it hard to have sympathy when people try and break the rules and square it with themselves morally based on tough circumstances.

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    I agree, I really want to avoid taking this any further and potentially harming them any more, but I was hesitant in my decision in case it would have been better to flag this up with the university. I am currently trying to construct some general advice for them instead, and hopefully it will help them. Thank you both so much for your insights!
    I used to work as a lecturer. I think you’re doing the right thing. It’s often the students who are struggling most or feeling most desperate that explore these options, so some general advice sounds like the best way of giving them a gentle and helpful no. FWIW I don’t think a university would be likely to take this further unless a) there was evidence this had been agreed or b) that it had in fact happened.

Reactions: Andrew M

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you graduate this summer or later, you'll be eligible for a two year work visa in any case, so even if Macfarlanes confusing wording precludes you from applying if you don't have working rights in the UK, you would actually have working rights in the UK for the duration of the training programme so can still apply.
    It’s unlikely to cover a training contract. Unless it’s a masters level course, the LPC won’t give you the two year visa. Even if it did, it’s unlikely you training contract would start immediately after your course ends - those that do tend to be the accelerated LPC courses that definitely won’t be covered by a two year graduate visa.

Last edited:
    Reactions: djqb

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Very challenging situation and I commend your response to this point.

I can't say what you should do one way or the other; all I can say is what I'd personally do in the same circumstances. Personally, I wouldn't look to escalate things by 'turning them in' per se - it may be an offer they've made without fully thinking things through and don't have further intention of following it through, for example. I would advise them to just speak to their PT, advise them of the issues going on and ask what support the uni can offer. Make sure they fully understand the potential ramifications of the actions.

If you told them all this and they didn't listen to you, then told you they'd found someone else to sit it for them and they planned to take them up on it... that's a different matter. I've got to be honest and say that at that point I would feel obliged to report it to the university, purely for the reason that it shows flagrant disregard for due process and consequences and is also grossly unfair on other students who have done things by the book in spite of whatever circumstances they've been in. I'm not saying, by any means, to go on a fishing expedition and ask until you find out - no need to be a detective about it - but if I was given that information, I couldn't sit on it in good conscience.

Bear in mind that my input might be slightly cynical here in terms of students in my cohort - I have personally had students in my class make an official complaint about a reasonable adjustment that was made for me during university exams, so I'm generally of the 'hang em and flog em' approach as a result of that. I've also personally had to sit exams in spite of nightmarish circumstances (I sat 2nd year exams when still on huge doses of Oxycodone after breaking my back, I could barely string a sentence together, handed in essays days after a family bereavement etc) and, I'll be the first to admit, find it hard to have sympathy when people try and break the rules and square it with themselves morally based on tough circumstances.
    Firstly, I am so sorry that you had to go through that with the students in your cohort, as well as the pain you must have gone through due to your injury and your personal circumstances. It sounds like a horrendous situation to have been in, and it is extremely admirable that you have gotten to where you are now, despite all of these challenges.

In terms of the situation at hand, I’ve sent them the advice I constructed and they have just responded with thanks, but that they will ‘find a different answer from someone else.’ I am not really sure how to interpret this without being presumptive.

I think if for some reason they gave me concrete evidence that they were going to actually cheat (beyond that message above), I may be obliged to take this further. For now though I think I am just going to remove myself from the situation and hope it does not reach that stage.

Thank you so much for your advice and for sharing your perspective, it has been very helpful!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.