2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
Jul 17, 2020
TCLA squad I have a question: if you were rejected by a firm you really really liked post vac and they said on the feedback call ‘ you can apply next year’ , is it advisable to do so?
Or is it just contributing to a waste of time/embarrassment that comes from you thinking you have a shot when you really don’t?

It wasn’t a ‘you should apply’ more just a - ‘you can if you want’. 😅
Definitely! I haven't applied there, but I remember speaking to a Trowers trainee last year who was rejected post vac-scheme but secured a TC there the year after.

• 🤝
Reactions: Matt_96 and MJ90

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
TCLA squad I have a question: if you were rejected by a firm you really really liked post vac and they said on the feedback call ‘ you can apply next year’ , is it advisable to do so?
Or is it just contributing to a waste of time/embarrassment that comes from you thinking you have a shot when you really don’t?

It wasn’t a ‘you should apply’ more just a - ‘you can if you want’. 😅
Can you show development since your last application? If no, then my brutal advice is not to bother. If you can though, then you should reapply.

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
Is it terrible form to cancel an assessment centre I have tomorrow at this late stage? I already have a vac scheme that clashes with it, I was just going to do the AC as practice and in the off chance that the vac schemes were cancelled/shortened because of COVID. But I just feel so unprepared for it and after so many applications/VIs/ACs I feel totally burnt out and I don't even think the AC tomorrow would provide much benefit in terms of practice. Has anyone ever done this before? How was it received?

• Angry
Reactions: Legal_rawn

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Is it terrible form to cancel an assessment centre I have tomorrow at this late stage? I already have a vac scheme that clashes with it, I was just going to do the AC as practice and in the off chance that the vac schemes were cancelled/shortened because of COVID. But I just feel so unprepared for it and after so many applications/VIs/ACs I feel totally burnt out and I don't even think the AC tomorrow would provide much benefit in terms of practice. Has anyone ever done this before? How was it received?
    I did this when I was applying - thought I could manage it, but I realised last minute that I couldn't.

It was poor form from me and the firm wasn't too happy about it, but as long as you aren't planning on re-applying, it's not going to come back to you. I would just try to tell them ASAP to give them time to make changes to the day as needed.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It’s better than going to just practice to be honest. It will be too late to offer it to someone else, but at least you won’t be wasting the firm’s time.

H48

Star Member
    Oct 9, 2020
    I did this when I was applying - thought I could manage it, but I realised last minute that I couldn't.

It was poor form from me and the firm wasn't too happy about it, but as long as you aren't planning on re-applying, it's not going to come back to you. I would just try to tell them ASAP to give them time to make changes to the day as needed.
    Thanks very much Jaysen and @Jessica Booker - it was totally my own fault for not acknowledging how much zoom university/apps and interviews really had taken it out of me and I'll definitely learn from this! But I agree, it's definitely best not to waste their time.

nisadee

Valued Member
    Oct 9, 2019
    I did this last year but it was for reasons concerning my mental health so if you're feeling unprepared and burnt out, I would always say do what's best for you and what you can handle! Your mental health is the most important.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.