• Applications for Willkie Farr & Gallagher's vacation schemes close on the 20th December. Apply now!
  • Applications for Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes are now open! Apply now.
  • Common application pitfalls to avoid over the coming months. Read Now!

2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hi, this coming cycle will be my third applying to city law firms. I have meanwhile been offered a job as a paralegal at a big US firm in London and another as a paralegal for a decent regional firm outside of London.

I’m concerned that the extra travel time (1-2 hours)and the overtime/increased workload at the US firm (which has been eluded to during my interview) would severely reduce my free time spent on making applications to city firms.

On the other hand, the regional firm is local to me and has offered the flexibility of wfh more regularly. The experience is however not as good because I am aiming to get a TC in a London city firm.

Any advice will be hugely appreciated!
I’d picked the US firm if I were you. It will be better experience and I suspect you’ll be doing largely the same job as an actual trainee. Assuming the extra travel time is by train would you be able to spend that time researching / writing apps instead? Also would the US firm consider the SQE route as paralegalling would count towards the work experience required (assuming you would want to be a lawyer at that particular firm)?

• ✅
Reactions: GOI983 and Dheepa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, this coming cycle will be my third applying to city law firms. I have meanwhile been offered a job as a paralegal at a big US firm in London and another as a paralegal for a decent regional firm outside of London.

I’m concerned that the extra travel time (1-2 hours)and the overtime/increased workload at the US firm (which has been eluded to during my interview) would severely reduce my free time spent on making applications to city firms.

On the other hand, the regional firm is local to me and has offered the flexibility of wfh more regularly. The experience is however not as good because I am aiming to get a TC in a London city firm.

Any advice will be hugely appreciated!
If you are aiming for the city, then the answer is the US firm. Use things like holiday allowances as time off to complete applications. A half day every other week for instance wouldn't put too big a dent in your holiday allowance. Or ask to see whether you can do reduced hours and say only work a half day on a Friday to allow you the time to concentrate on applications.

thatwonder_woman

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2021
This talk about hours/ work life balance is why i am sceptical when City firms say they take mental health seriously 😭😭😭 I mean, i am fasting 16 hours a day at the moment and it honestly makes me wonder how people doing that + working those long hours do it. I remember reading a comment on here about how things won’t change until clients change, which makes me wonder, is that ever going to happen?

StudentOfLaw21

Apr 3, 2021
I am setting up a mock AC with the help of a LinkedIn mentor. This is for those who have been invited to the WBD AC, but if you have an AC coming up you are more than welcome to join.

If you'd like more info, please message me :)

on another note - I don't want this thread to end!

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Ah yes I forgot to clarify that I was working until 1am most nights during my vac scheme and starting at 9 (thank goodness it was just a week, although the weekend following the scheme was also taken up completing a lengthy research project due Monday morning) 🤣
    I just finished my Skadden vac scheme (which was honestly SO awesome) and I worked no less than 12 hour days for the entire scheme: this is subjective to your department - whatever seat you're in will determine how long you work. For example, corporate now is MEGA busy with SPAC season and general M&A recovery.

Also, if you want to join a US firm, you're basically saying you want to get paid regardless of the hours ;)
    Just to caveat these experiences with my own on an in-person vac scheme - we were all effectively 'forced' out the door at 6pm to go home haha so I do think the fact people are working from home and that blurring of the 2 lines has meant that people are working crazier hours than ever before.

I'm slightly optimistic that these hours will reduce back to what they normally were once people are back in the office etc because that's all they can do right? People, especially those in PE/M&A, can't work any more hours than they have the last 12 months surely...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.