2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hi all!!! Already had many rejections at the start of this season (for VS at W&C, Slaughters, Linklaters, HSF and Open Days for W&C and Bird & Bird)... HOWEVER, this week I received an invitation to Taylor Wessing's additional Open Day event on 10th December and on Tuesday, I got an invitation for the Bird & Bird VI after applying for the VS at the end of last month!!!!! I completed the WG on Sunday if anyone is interested :) Just a reminder to you all to keep going!!!! I work full time and received straight rejections last year so the situation felt a bit bleak until this week. I'd also really advise getting your applications reviewed by Jaysen and the team as well - it is one of the best things I have done all application season.

Regarding the TW Open Day, I have already drafted my application for their Vacation Scheme. Can anyone advise on whether I should wait until after this day to submit it? I've emailed Grad Rec but had no response as of yet...

If anyone has any advice on the B&B VI as well, do let me know! :)

We can do this!!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi all!!! Already had many rejections at the start of this season (for VS at W&C, Slaughters, Linklaters, HSF and Open Days for W&C and Bird & Bird)... HOWEVER, this week I received an invitation to Taylor Wessing's additional Open Day event on 10th December and on Tuesday, I got an invitation for the Bird & Bird VI after applying for the VS at the end of last month!!!!! I completed the WG on Sunday if anyone is interested :) Just a reminder to you all to keep going!!!! I work full time and received straight rejections last year so the situation felt a bit bleak until this week. I'd also really advise getting your applications reviewed by Jaysen and the team as well - it is one of the best things I have done all application season.

Regarding the TW Open Day, I have already drafted my application for their Vacation Scheme. Can anyone advise on whether I should wait until after this day to submit it? I've emailed Grad Rec but had no response as of yet...

We can do this!!

As someone whos been successful to the next round of TW, I submitted my VS application before my open day with them and I was still successful in getting past the first stage. Its defo something you can bring up at the interview, but I don't think it makes/breaks your application now (as shown by me). Congrats tho but choose what you feel is best!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jaysen, cmaj and MJ90

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

We can do this!!

generally I’d wait for the open day. It would only be if the deadline for the VS is within a week or two of the open day that I might reconsider

Reactions: cmaj

MDS

Oct 3, 2020
    Anyone heard from Ashurst yet? I know a scattering of people have been given offers over the last two weeks, but the majority of offers should be made before the end of the week. So keen to know!

Reactions: Jony

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, just curious, what would cause you to reconsider?

If they recruit on a rolling basis, leaving it that late is slightly more risky. If I felt my application was strong enough without going to the open day, to me I’d would make more sense to apply sooner rather than waiting for a week before the deadline.

Reactions: cmaj and Lumree

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Is anyone else struggling with the pinsent mason word count?

I have asked graduate recruitment at a virtual event and they told me that you do not need to use the entire word count. It is better to write only 2000-3000 characters instead of 4000 and waffle. Be concise and keep the readers interest!

absolutely agree this is great advice for any firm app!!!! i've been way more successful applying for firms where ive kept everything short and sweet - for the firm i got my vs with last year, the app form had no word limit so i stuck to about 150-200 words and was successful :) compared to firms when i've waffled on for 300-400 words and said something very inconcisely!

Reactions: CallumJR

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    I'm a BCLP brand ambassador and I can confirm that they definitely are rolling basis
    Hi Tanvi, when do u expect we can start hearing back from BCLP? I applied back in September and radio silence since then. Also, I am confused does BCLP have a online test? Some people have said they dont but the website says otherwise. Thanks :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.