2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Hiya, I received an offer for the winter vac yesterday evening - it was via a call from one of the associates who interviewed me. I did my AC last Wednesday. I think they are probably still giving out offers till the end of this week! Hope you receive good news soon! :)

Oh this is a bit worrying lol, can I ask around what time they called? I did my AC a few weeks ago so I am getting concerned

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi, I applied for a Dentons VS a month ago. Today, I logged in on Apply4Law and under the "Tests" window there seems to be a Watson Glaser test with status "assigned" and the deadline which passed yesterday, but I have never got any email regarding this nor there is anything regarding the test in the "correspondence" window on the website. Is there any point in contacting GR RE this, or is this a lost cause? I have passed the WG before, so maybe they would let me through, but for now I feel completely destroyed :(

Call or email! Tech issues are so common especially nowadays. In my experience, grad rec is pretty accomodating of them.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miki3999

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    It's broken into more sections, so there is some overlap with the Watson, but there's also a proof-reading section where you have to rewrite grammar/words. There's a good mock test on their website which walks you through all of it (https://practice.cappassessments.com/Vrt/VrtPage.html)

thank you! this is very helpful !! :D so in the mix of questions, there are exact WG style questions too? how long does the test take also? thanks

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Its not even straight after the interview. Sometimes as interviewers you are rushing between meetings and don’t get a chance to follow up with your fellow interviewers or HR (or both) until much later. I have had situations where I have interviewed with a partner and then that partner has literally left straight after the meeting to go to another country for a week and I haven’t been able to catch up with them until they were back.

It’s not common for people to get to the end of an interview and make a decision there and then.

So it isn’t as simple as those who hear back quicker have been an easier decision. There are literally hundreds of reasons why a candidate who is a straight forward yes doesn’t hear back from some time.

thanks for clarifying this Jessica!
    Is it the same if it’s the GR interviewing you without any partners/associates present?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    thanks for clarifying this Jessica!
    Is it the same if it’s the GR interviewing you without any partners/associates present?

Yes!! Grad rec still have plenty of other things to do and sometimes just have to wait for other interviews to happen as well.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hi, I applied for a Dentons VS a month ago. Today, I logged in on Apply4Law and under the "Tests" window there seems to be a Watson Glaser test with status "assigned" and the deadline which passed yesterday, but I have never got any email regarding this nor there is anything regarding the test in the "correspondence" window on the website. Is there any point in contacting GR RE this, or is this a lost cause? I have passed the WG before, so maybe they would let me through, but for now I feel completely destroyed :(

You know I am so glad I saw this because this made me think to log on and see the exact same has happened to me!!!!!! I've sent grad rec an email about it hopefully they'll be understanding!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miki3999

Sophie111

Standard Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from Travers Smith this week?

I interviewed yesterday (Tuesday) and heard back on the same day.
    Don't worry about it - they are still making decisions. Grad rec said to somebody I know that they usually make decisions at the end of the week. I'm sure you will hear back soon. Good luck!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I interviewed yesterday (Tuesday) and heard back on the same day.
    Don't worry about it - they are still making decisions. Grad rec said to somebody I know that they usually make decisions at the end of the week. I'm sure you will hear back soon. Good luck!
    Thank you for this and hope it was good news post interview

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys,

Just a quick reminder if you haven't booked already:

We are running our final webinar of the month tomorrow at 6pm. You can register here. It's completely free to attend, but we have limited spaces left (as our package caps us at 1,000 registrations).

This process is too competitive to be modest. If you’re doubtful and self-deprecating, if you downplay your achievements, you leave the recruiter with no choice but to hire someone else. You need to think deeply about why you deserve a training contract, why you deserve to make it as a commercial lawyer, and why you deserve to be one of the few percent of candidates a firm may give offers to.

This session is about having the confidence to believe you can make it in this process.

It's about learning how to convince a law firm that you are worth investing in, at both the application and interview stage. You’ll learn how to convincingly sell your experiences, how to draw upon your journey and life experience, and how to think about your unique selling points as an applicant.

We'll be leading this session using real application answers and comparisons of ‘weak’ and ‘strong’ applications to a variety of law firms. This session is brought to you by the application review team at TCLA, including myself, @Jessica Booker and @Alice G.

If you are a premium member, you can access a recording of all of our previous webinars here: https://classes.thecorporatelawacademy.com/p/tcla-webinar-series/?preview=logged_out

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Just submitted my third application for this cycle - I'm really struggling to find the time between my studies! I think I am going to have to reduce the number of applications I had intended to submit...

• 🤝
    Reactions: anon101

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Just submitted my third application for this cycle - I'm really struggling to find the time between my studies! I think I am going to have to reduce the number of applications I had intended to submit...
    Three is really good, try not to put too much pressure on yourself, remember you only need ONE successful application. So three really good applications put you in an amazing place to get that offer! I've been struggling with applications too, but I have found some really helpful tools. (note I'm not a uni student anymore so this is just general advice)

I have a word document where I insert all my summaries of my work experiences with their varying word counts. This means that I have a basic framework when I'm filling out the forms for TC/VS applications.

Also, I got this advice from someone on this platform but it's super helpful. They suggested researching in the week and writing applications at the weekends. I've been researching Monday to Friday like 45minutes to an hour every day and then collated this information to sit and write my applications over the week.

Thirdly, don't be afraid to ask others to read your applications. Sometimes you will be sat stressing for hours and then a third-party perspective really helps.

I have a template with all the firms I want to apply to, the dates of their deadlines, and whether applications are rolling or not. In this, I jot down information about any events I've managed to fit in etc. Having this information in one place really helps me and colour coding where I have completed applications gives me a sense of achievement.

Mostly I would just say be patient. LinkedIn can make us feel like getting a TC offer during university is necessary or we'll fail forever. THIS IS NOT TRUE. a friend told me that the average age for someone to get a TC offer is 25. you have plenty of time and there is a whole world outside of getting that TC. Whilst receiving the offer would be amazing it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen this year. Your priorities should be trying to get the 2:1 (most firms require this) preserving your mental health and remembering we're still in the middle of the pandemic and nothing is normal right now. Three applications submitted is a massive accomplishment. Well done.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Three is really good, try not to put too much pressure on yourself, remember you only need ONE successful application. So three really good applications put you in an amazing place to get that offer! I've been struggling with applications too, but I have found some really helpful tools. (note I'm not a uni student anymore so this is just general advice)

I have a word document where I insert all my summaries of my work experiences with their varying word counts. This means that I have a basic framework when I'm filling out the forms for TC/VS applications.

Also, I got this advice from someone on this platform but it's super helpful. They suggested researching in the week and writing applications at the weekends. I've been researching Monday to Friday like 45minutes to an hour every day and then collated this information to sit and write my applications over the week.

Thirdly, don't be afraid to ask others to read your applications. Sometimes you will be sat stressing for hours and then a third-party perspective really helps.

I have a template with all the firms I want to apply to, the dates of their deadlines, and whether applications are rolling or not. In this, I jot down information about any events I've managed to fit in etc. Having this information in one place really helps me and colour coding where I have completed applications gives me a sense of achievement.

Mostly I would just say be patient. LinkedIn can make us feel like getting a TC offer during university is necessary or we'll fail forever. THIS IS NOT TRUE. a friend told me that the average age for someone to get a TC offer is 25. you have plenty of time and there is a whole world outside of getting that TC. Whilst receiving the offer would be amazing it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen this year. Your priorities should be trying to get the 2:1 (most firms require this) preserving your mental health and remembering we're still in the middle of the pandemic and nothing is normal right now. Three applications submitted is a massive accomplishment. Well done.
    Thanks for responding! I am really happy with my applications I have submitted. I've had them checked over by a couple of connections and they say they're great - I can't really afford to pay for a premium service (no offence TCLA). Whether I get through to the next stage in the application process is a whole other story. I do feel like luck seems to play a pretty big role. Especially when applying for regional offices which only take on a handful of trainees and therefore interview less applicants...

My aim is to get at least two more submitted by Christmas. It just sucks that the deadlines coincide with my assessment deadlines!

Also, I'm actually 30 (mature student). Which is why I'm feeling the time-pressure probably more than I would if I was 20!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.