2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2707

For the Weil VS application, there is a commercial question asking us to talk about a transaction that we are interested in and link it back to their clients. Does this have to be related to PE since most of their clients/work comes from their arena or can I talk about transactional practice and M&A more generally?

AS858

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 48
Aug 3, 2018
For the Weil VS application, there is a commercial question asking us to talk about a transaction that we are interested in and link it back to their clients. Does this have to be related to PE since most of their clients/work comes from their arena or can I talk about transactional practice and M&A more generally?
They're excellent at both. I would focus on the area you're most passionate about and link it back to why it is meaningful or important to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysen

202023r

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 28, 2019
    Is it a transaction or just a commercial issue?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone - Reed Smith new question: Taking into account the firm's values and drawing upon your experiences, would you feel confident enough to challenge your colleagues if they were carrying out a process incorrectly?

How would you approach/structure such a question???

@Jessica Booker @Jaysen

I think the question looks tougher than it is. I would be honest here and talk through your thought process.

Points to think about: If you would feel confident, why would that be the case? Can you back this up through your experiences? Which of Reed Smith's values are relevant here and why?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Ah sorry its just a commercial issue so I guess it doesn't have to be a deal :) I find it kind of hard to draw the distinction though- how would you distinguish between both?

I would consider a transaction to be a deal, whereas I'd think a commercial issue could relate to a broader topic (e.g. a news story/event/trend etc.).

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    Hey everyone, I just got a rejection from Ashurst for winter vac scheme post application, my rejection said "your application was of a high standard , but we have unfortunately only been able to shortlist a small percentage of applications for this vacancy" and I just wanted to know if this is their generic email? guess i'm just trying to figure out if my application was actually strong or they just say that to everyone :)

I got that last year but this year different, maybe they just vary the emails they send out

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    Hi, does anyone have any tips for the HSF test? Thanks :)

Try and answer honestly rather than what you think they want to see as you will be more consistent.

I'm saying this after failing the test twice last year trying to answer solely based on their values (some questions may be trying to catch you out/test a different value than what appears). This year I made it to the second stage and I think it's because my answers were consistent/honest.

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Can you reapply for the Summer if you were rejected for WVS? :) (post App but Pre AC etc) Thanks!(I acc have no idea!)

This is what Latham says:

"If you apply for a vacation scheme and are unsuccessful we would recommend that you wait until the following recruitment year before re-applying for another position with us."

So, they recommend not applying again in the same cycle but don't tell you that you can't do so.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Hello,

Has anyone received the following email from Simmons, this year or in the past? I did my VI three weeks ago and it went terribly. I was quite convinced it was going to be a no so cannot decide whether to be excited or not!

Due to the large volume of applications we received, our winter scheme is now full and therefore we are unfortunately no longer able to consider you for a place. We were, however, impressed by your application and would like to invite you to transfer your application to our Summer Vacation Scheme instead.

We are pleased to confirm that you were successful at our online testing stage and as such, we would like to invite you to the final stage of the process for our Summer Vacation Scheme, which is an Assessment Day. We appreciate this may be disappointing news for you, but we hope you will consider our summer scheme instead.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.