2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Discussion in 'Applications Discussion' started by Jaysen, Nov 1, 2020.

1. WannabeSolicitor24

WannabeSolicitor24 Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Yep

• Like Like x 1
  2. Flora R

Flora R Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer

TCLA Credits:
    Rejection for Freshfields' grad workshop :(

• Friendly Friendly x 25
  3. mab299

mab299 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hello everyone. Somehow I was lucky enough to get on the White & Case winter vac scheme. Does anyone know when we will get the verdict from our TC interview? Will it be in winter, or do they wait until the spring/summer applicants have also been interviewed?

• Winner Winner x 22
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Legallin

Legallin New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey everyone, I just got a rejection from Ashurst for winter vac scheme post application, my rejection said "your application was of a high standard , but we have unfortunately only been able to shortlist a small percentage of applications for this vacancy" and I just wanted to know if this is their generic email? guess i'm just trying to figure out if my application was actually strong or they just say that to everyone :)

• Friendly Friendly x 12
  5. Jon Neo

Jon Neo Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    My assessment centre was on tuesday :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ivox3

Ivox3 Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    defo not generic! My rejection email was different...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MDS

MDS Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey!! Congratulations on the vac scheme offer!! Was wondering if you could give any tips on the interview? I have an AC with Ashurst next week, you would be a true lifesaver

8. Jon Neo

Jon Neo Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    For fairness, I'm not sharing anything specific with anyone!

But I would honestly, honestly say - ALL of the interview questions that are listed as part of TCLA's questions bank were super worthwhile rehearsing! Go through each of them as many times as possible. And be yourself, and friendly :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    For the Jones Day cover letter what are the key things to focus on? Obviously the non-rotational TC structure ought to be mentioned somewhere but what else other than that? It is only 300 words so I am struggling to work out what to allocated my word count to! Any help would be so appreciated :)

10. AS2000

AS2000 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    You could mention their smaller trainee intake and their strong mid-market M&A work.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. MDS

MDS Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you! :)

12. misstarblood98

misstarblood98 Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi, congratulations on the offer! Could you please tell me where I can find this question bank?

13. Jon Neo

Jon Neo Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. AS2000

AS2000 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Binned by W&C Yesterday for the Winter Vac Scheme. Submitted my app on the last day but was really counting on as I had spent so much time on it. Is it worth applying to their TC later this year?

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  15. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    I am so so sorry Flora, you’re working so hard and you’ll get there <3

I just want to say that truthfully, open days and workshops are often much more competitive than TC and vacation scheme applications. For workshops and open days, firms need to be selective because they are mindful they need to make them valuable and so need to confine numbers slightly to ensure this. Often firms will only run a couple of these open days a year so there really aren’t many places available. With TCs and vacation schemes firms have much more leeway to invite candidates to ACs because they can often run many of these in a week and some firms do two a day! I really hope this reassures you guys and for anyone feeling like they shouldn’t try for TCs and Vac schemes because of open day rejections, please do still apply! Take a look at the application you submitted maybe after a few days to process everything and then try to self assess what was good about it and what can be improved. Like I’ve said, open day places are more competitive than AC places so don’t be put off by this.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Amy456

Amy456 Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Does anyone know if you can apply to the freshfields vacation scheme as a third year law student.

17. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    I just searched and their website says this:

“Am I eligible?
    You’re eligible to apply for the vacation scheme if you are a penultimate-year student studying any degree. If you are studying a four-year degree, you are able to apply in your second year and, if offered, we will defer your place.”

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. OliviaBurn

OliviaBurn Esteemed Member

TCLA Credits:
    Only penultimate year students are eligible. Final year students and graduates have to apply for a direct TC!

19. Lawsm21

Lawsm21 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Just wondering- should I be responding to an email inviting me to the assessment centre? It is just a generic email so I assume not and I have chosen the date on the portal so have confirmed my acceptance, but suddenly thought I should check if it is customary/ polite to email thanking them and saying I look forward to it?

20. bel123456

bel123456 Esteemed Member

TCLA Credits:
    nah!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1