2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
For the Weil VS application, there is a commercial question asking us to talk about a transaction that we are interested in and link it back to their clients. Does this have to be related to PE since most of their clients/work comes from their arena or can I talk about transactional practice and M&A more generally?

I reached the AD last year (very similar question) and you can write almost anything. I mentioned a political issue I'd studied and then searched online until I found a random case of theirs I could tie it to in the final line (maybe 30 words in total). It formed the main icebreaker in the interview so pick something you know well though.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hello,

Has anyone received the following email from Simmons, this year or in the past? I did my VI three weeks ago and it went terribly. I was quite convinced it was going to be a no so cannot decide whether to be excited or not!

Due to the large volume of applications we received, our winter scheme is now full and therefore we are unfortunately no longer able to consider you for a place. We were, however, impressed by your application and would like to invite you to transfer your application to our Summer Vacation Scheme instead.

We are pleased to confirm that you were successful at our online testing stage and as such, we would like to invite you to the final stage of the process for our Summer Vacation Scheme, which is an Assessment Day. We appreciate this may be disappointing news for you, but we hope you will consider our summer scheme instead.

This is very confusing- but my interpretation is that you’re through to the AC for summer? Congratulations if this is right! You seem to have progressed onto the final stage

Reactions: OB and Veep9

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
hi, i have been sent the Mayer Brown tests (SJT and verbal reasoning). is the verbal reasoning the same as the watson glaser? thanks :)
It's broken into more sections, so there is some overlap with the Watson, but there's also a proof-reading section where you have to rewrite grammar/words. There's a good mock test on their website which walks you through all of it (https://practice.cappassessments.com/Vrt/VrtPage.html)

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
Hello,

Has anyone received the following email from Simmons, this year or in the past? I did my VI three weeks ago and it went terribly. I was quite convinced it was going to be a no so cannot decide whether to be excited or not!

Due to the large volume of applications we received, our winter scheme is now full and therefore we are unfortunately no longer able to consider you for a place. We were, however, impressed by your application and would like to invite you to transfer your application to our Summer Vacation Scheme instead.

We are pleased to confirm that you were successful at our online testing stage and as such, we would like to invite you to the final stage of the process for our Summer Vacation Scheme, which is an Assessment Day. We appreciate this may be disappointing news for you, but we hope you will consider our summer scheme instead.

I think you should be very excited about this (as long as the summer scheme is an option for you!)

• 🤝
Reactions: Veep9

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
It’s been nearly a week since I was interviewed & I haven’t heard back yet (despite people being interviewed after me being moved onto the next stage). I have a feeling it’s a rejection:/ I don’t get why they can’t tell me straight away

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It’s been nearly a week since I was interviewed & I haven’t heard back yet (despite people being interviewed after me being moved onto the next stage). I have a feeling it’s a rejection:/ I don’t get why they can’t tell me straight away

Because sometimes decisions are not made straight away

juswantavacscheme

Dec 28, 2019
Because sometimes decisions are not made straight away
Out of curiosity what is the process for making decisions? Is it a yes/maybe/no verdict made straight after the interview in every case, or a score which can be ranked against others to determine outcome? For both the vac schemes I’ve been offered these past weeks I was waiting for well over a week, while others (who interviewed that day as well) got offers within 2 days. Does this mean I was a less straightforward yes for them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Out of curiosity what is the process for making decisions? Is it a yes/maybe/no verdict made straight after the interview in every case, or a score which can be ranked against others to determine outcome? For both the vac schemes I’ve been offered these past weeks I was waiting for well over a week, while others (who interviewed that day as well) got offers within 2 days. Does this mean I was a less straightforward yes for them?

Its not even straight after the interview. Sometimes as interviewers you are rushing between meetings and don’t get a chance to follow up with your fellow interviewers or HR (or both) until much later. I have had situations where I have interviewed with a partner and then that partner has literally left straight after the meeting to go to another country for a week and I haven’t been able to catch up with them until they were back.

It’s not common for people to get to the end of an interview and make a decision there and then.

So it isn’t as simple as those who hear back quicker have been an easier decision. There are literally hundreds of reasons why a candidate who is a straight forward yes doesn’t hear back from some time.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adam Gilchrist and LeilaScott

SRW

Star Member
Mar 11, 2019
Its not even straight after the interview. Sometimes as interviewers you are rushing between meetings and don’t get a chance to follow up with your fellow interviewers or HR (or both) until much later. I have had situations where I have interviewed with a partner and then that partner has literally left straight after the meeting to go to another country for a week and I haven’t been able to catch up with them until they were back.

It’s not common for people to get to the end of an interview and make a decision there and then.

So it isn’t as simple as those who hear back quicker have been an easier decision. There are literally hundreds of reasons why a candidate who is a straight forward yes doesn’t hear back from some time.

@Jessica Booker what’s the usual process if the interview was with two partners and no grad rec? Do the partners have the final say?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker what’s the usual process if the interview was with two partners and no grad rec? Do the partners have the final say?

not necessarily, because they may not have interviewed all the candidates. They will have the final say if they have interviewed everyone though.

Otherwise how would it work if 10 pairs of partners interviewed 10 candidates and they all wanted to offer their candidate the job, but there was only 5 vacancies?

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020

This is actually really comforting to read while waiting post-AC, having seen one person post they received an offer before the week grad rec said we would hear back is a bit nerve-wracking - thanks for putting it into context!

Reactions: Celestie and M1999

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
not necessarily, because they may not have interviewed all the candidates. They will have the final say if they have interviewed everyone though.

Otherwise how would it work if 10 pairs of partners interviewed 10 candidates and they all wanted to offer their candidate the job, but there was only 5 vacancies?
I've always wondered about this. Could there be potential situation where the partner who interviewed you just didn't shout loud enough at the meeting?

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hi, I applied for a Dentons VS a month ago. Today, I logged in on Apply4Law and under the "Tests" window there seems to be a Watson Glaser test with status "assigned" and the deadline which passed yesterday, but I have never got any email regarding this nor there is anything regarding the test in the "correspondence" window on the website. Is there any point in contacting GR RE this, or is this a lost cause? I have passed the WG before, so maybe they would let me through, but for now I feel completely destroyed :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: Fran
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.