2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Is it a bad idea to withdraw an application from a firm?
I applied to a firm for their vac scheme but they've not got back to me.
I have since accepted another scheme over the same dates, so seems a bit silly for them to consider my application when I can't accept an offer if I were successful.

There's no harm in seeing whether you had a successful app or not, albeit for selfish reasons! And congratulations!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Andrew M, Nat000 and hunter

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    How 'normal'/common, is it for a partner who interviewed you for a vac scheme to send an email saying congrats on the offer and that they hope you will take it up?
    Can't say I have heard of being emailed that before but I have been called by the partner who interviewed me to congratulate me and say the same thing. Either way, very well done!

R1a01

Distinguished Member
    Nov 4, 2019
    Quite similar to the linklaters test where you have different scenarios and rank your responses and answer personality questions. Then there’s a short watson glaser style part at the end!

How long would you say it roughly takes to complete the test? and if its not timed, can you do it in more than one sitting?

R1a01

Distinguished Member
    Nov 4, 2019
    How long would you say it roughly takes to complete the test? and if its not timed, can you do it in more than one sitting?
    The email says "As part of the screening process, we require all candidates to take our online test". So it's sent automatically

I thought that was the case too, but a few people have been rejected prior to getting any test so I think they do screen applications beforehand.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it a bad idea to withdraw an application from a firm?
    I applied to a firm for their vac scheme but they've not got back to me.
    I have since accepted another scheme over the same dates, so seems a bit silly for them to consider my application when I can't accept an offer if I were successful.

You should withdraw if you have no intentions of considering options outside of the vacation scheme you have secured.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I probably spent about 45 mins on it doing it in one go. I saw someone on here say they did the test over multiple sittings but it does say it must be completed in one go on the actual test.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    please help! I am doing a SJT test right now and when I was doing question 9, it randomly skipped to question 10 before they even gave me the option to answer 9. It won't let you go back. What should I do?

ParalegalDaG

Standard Member
    Jun 16, 2020
    please help! I am doing a SJT test right now and when I was doing question 9, it randomly skipped to question 10 before they even gave me the option to answer 9. It won't let you go back. What should I do?
    Hi, this happened to me on a video interview earlier this year. I completed the remainder of the interview then immediately emailed Grad Rec stating what had happened. They checked the system and could see that I had an incomplete video interview and reset the question/s where there had been a system glitch. If I were you, I would email Grad Rec and see if there is anything like this that they can do! Tech issues happen, try not to worry! Good luck!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi, this happened to me on a video interview earlier this year. I completed the remainder of the interview then immediately emailed Grad Rec stating what had happened. They checked the system and could see that I had an incomplete video interview and reset the question/s where there had been a system glitch. If I were you, I would email Grad Rec and see if there is anything like this that they can do! Tech issues happen, try not to worry! Good luck!
    Thank you! I emailed the email they said to immediately and have finished the test. But I will send Grad Rec an email explaining what happened now. Annoying as I cannot give a screenshot of a glitch!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Okay, actually I have just passed and got through to the next stage. Phew! Too much panicking before 10am

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.