2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CF

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi, I have just attended the Legal Cheek Virtual Law Fair. For people waiting on Mayer Brown, Mark from Grad Rec has said that invites for the telephone interview will most likely be sent to candidates from next week onwards!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Amy456, AW_08, NK and 3 others

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 20, 2020
Can I just double check whether we need to also finish our online test/WG by the application deadline?

My online test email says I have 7 days to complete the test but the application closes before that.

Hey! In my experience with firms, you don't need to complete their test by the application deadline, but the deadline they set in the email (ie the 7 days to complete).

Reactions: TChopeful2021

arbitracion

Star Member
  • Sep 28, 2020
    Hi guys, I'm not really sure how to approach this Dechert application question: 'Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us?'

I'd say it's very much like Shearman's "competitive advantage" question. I was going to talk about lateral hires but I'm worried that might come under "premium legal services". And other than that, I'm not sure how to make genuine points without repeating the question :oops::oops:

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Hi guys, I'm not really sure how to approach this Dechert application question: 'Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us?'

I'd say it's very much like Shearman's "competitive advantage" question. I was going to talk about lateral hires but I'm worried that might come under "premium legal services". And other than that, I'm not sure how to make genuine points without repeating the question :oops::oops:

Usually a good place to start is:

What is Shearman's expansion style and what differentiates it from it's competitors in revenue/partner/client/geographic growth?

What is Shearman's culture and how does that contribute to it's competitive advantage over other firms?

What is unique to Shearman's practices/organisation?

I would suggest looking up Jaysen's v comprehensive list on how to differentiate firms - start from a few points, and then do research and expand onto them.

I also don't think Shearman has recently done that well relatively re: lateral hires so I wouldn't put that. Pre-partner profit restructuring, Shearman was actually losing quite a few experienced hires to the likes of other US firms.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    With a question like “introduce a topic you know about and explain why it interests you?” Is it ok to talk about a hobby? I’ve written an answer I’m really happy with but now I worry it’s not a good topic!!

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    With a question like “introduce a topic you know about and explain why it interests you?” Is it ok to talk about a hobby? I’ve written an answer I’m really happy with but now I worry it’s not a good topic!!

I've read a successful application where they wrote about hiking! As long as it's something you know a lot about and you explain WHY it interests you, it will be fine :)

H S

Distinguished Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hey guys, I was wondering whether any of you knew if HSF's application deadline is tonight at midnight or tomorrow at midnight? On the website it says the deadline is the 4th, but on the application portal page, it says my application will expire in 2 days. Luckily it's not a rolling deadline as I had an emergency yesterday and was in A&E all night. I'm still a bit out of it and would prefer being able to read through my application with fresh eyes (or simply eyes that aren't groggy (!)). I only decided to apply to them last week (so quite last-minute) as up until then I simply didn't think I was good enough.
    If you had any knowledge that could help me, I would be hugely grateful.

H S

Distinguished Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I believe that deadlines always include the day itself so if it says that the deadline is the 4th this means that you can submit your app anytime before 23:59 on the 4th (anytime before 23:59 tomorrow).

Thank you so much for your response!! I thought this at first too but am confused because of the conflict between what HSF have written on their application page (5th) and on their website (4th).

Reactions: nicole88

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hey guys, I was wondering whether any of you knew if HSF's application deadline is tonight at midnight or tomorrow at midnight? On the website it says the deadline is the 4th, but on the application portal page, it says my application will expire in 2 days. Luckily it's not a rolling deadline as I had an emergency yesterday and was in A&E all night. I'm still a bit out of it and would prefer being able to read through my application with fresh eyes (or simply eyes that aren't groggy (!)). I only decided to apply to them last week (so quite last-minute) as up until then I simply didn't think I was good enough.
    If you had any knowledge that could help me, I would be hugely grateful.
    Hey, hope you're ok!! The job page says the job expires on the 5th so I would like to say you have until midnight tomorrow to submit, but take this with a pinch of salt :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Lawbour, H S and nicole88

H S

Distinguished Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hey, hope you're ok!! The job page says the job expires on the 5th so I would like to say you have until midnight tomorrow to submit, but take this with a pinch of salt :)

Hey, thank you so much Liv! I've been better haha...thank you for your response!

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018

I spoke about international reach in key fund jurisdictions, the ability to collaborate on a global scale and thought leadership. All ways that add value for clients.

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Lawbour, OB and arbitracion
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.