2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I just had an email from Mills and Reeve to do the Watson Glaser. They are doing it a bit differently this year, only applicants which meet the benchmark will have their applications reviewed. Bit annoying for anybody who doesn't meet the benchmark really! I spent a solid week working on my application and it might not even get looked at...

Reactions: Staples and jan28

MZ

Esteemed Member
Forum Winner
Oct 7, 2020
I've not experienced CMS' AC but generally the case studies can be quite time pressured if you have to read a handful before you present/answer questions. So for now I'd advise on practicing your ability to digest information quickly by maybe reading articles and quickly summarising them in structured manner in however minutes you would have during the assessment.

The format is always dependent on the firm but most start with a mini presentation and then they will probe you further on whatever you've picked out. My advice would be to listen to their questions carefully because I've messed up before where I misheard something and answered something completely different. And they didn't correct me either!

Finally, don't panic before/during the AC! You've made it this far, it'd really be a shame to fall at the final hurdle because of something like this (having said that, it does happen so don't think you're alone). Think of it as an amazing opportunity to either massively learn from or to obviously get a scheme - both are fab!! good luck!!!
Thank you!! That definitely helps

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    I just had an email from Mills and Reeve to do the Watson Glaser. They are doing it a bit differently this year, only applicants which meet the benchmark will have their applications reviewed. Bit annoying for anybody who doesn't meet the benchmark really! I spent a solid week working on my application and it might not even get looked at...
    Gosh yes that sounds annoying - thanks for the heads up!

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    Just received an email regarding an update for those that applied for the last cycle for Forsters:

"Your application for the 2022 training contract will still be considered for the 2022 intake, but if you would like to apply for a vacation scheme next year, you should make another application online to be considered for a vacation scheme place in 2021".

Hope this helps!

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Received an SST invite for Reed Smith this afternoon! (I submitted my app closely after their second Open Day.) If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear. So far none of my apps with situational components progressed, so I'm slightly panicked about the SST.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Lawbour, CF and OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    CMS VI invite - does anyone have any tips? :)

In the email, the deadline is stated as the 12th but the portal says it's the 14th? Does anyone know which one it would be? Im hoping the latter!
    I would follow the earlier deadline, mine also showed a later date in the portal but the VI emails clearly state the earlier one is correct and the link will timeout after that date passes :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Lawbour

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Has anyone got any advice about taking a break from application season? I feel overwhelming pressure for this to be my year because I am self funding the GDL. My mental health has been so bad recently because I just feel like a failure after putting in so much effort with applications, interviews & not successful. I’m not a positive person at all and I’m really questioning why I am putting myself through all of this

p9b

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 29, 2019
    I have previously done a vacation scheme with a regional firm, however I was unsuccessful in securing a TC after. Will future firms ask me the outcome of this vac scheme at interviews? If so, doesn't it reflect badly that I did not secure a TC - why would a larger city firm employ me when when a smaller regional firm did not?

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    I have previously done a vacation scheme with a regional firm, however I was unsuccessful in securing a TC after. Will future firms ask me the outcome of this vac scheme at interviews? If so, doesn't it reflect badly that I did not secure a TC - why would a larger city firm employ me when when a smaller regional firm did not?

In my opinion, it won't reflect badly! It's amazing that you managed to secure a VS, and the fact that you didn't secure a TC from it could actually be viewed positively by a larger city firm (i.e. you may be more suited to a larger city firm as opposed to a smaller regional one) :)

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4, p9b and CT
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.