2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalthrowaway

Standard Member
Dec 22, 2020
It is a voluntary code which the SRA are not part of. The SRA won’t get involved.

There is not an integrity issue with accepting and then reneging an employment contract.

The reality is all that could happen is that the law firm you renege on could seek damages for breach of contract. But are they really going to do this when there is no cost to them if you reneging and they can probably easily back fill your vacancy? The costs of seeking out a breach of contract claim would be more painful than just waving you goodbye and wishing you the best of luck with your future career, while they breath a sigh of relief that you turned them down (no offence meant by that, but a firm would much prefer you to turn them down now than not be truly committed to the firm).

Thank you Jessica!

KamTM

Junior Lawyer
May 13, 2020
For Reed Smith "What are your main activities or interests outside of your study or work-life?" I have listed what I have done with societies on campus in my first, second and third year as well as my part-time jobs. @Jessica Booker is this the right approach? How did everyone else approach this?

As the question states 'outside of your study or work-life', I would bring in some interesting hobbies that you may have. I think this question is just to get to understand you more personally. :)

Reactions: Andrew M

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Just did the Simmons written exercise and VI. It went okay, I stumbled on my words a few times and I didn't mention enough of their competencies :(
    I’m sure you did great, we’re all so tough on ourselves. Either way it’s done and submitted!! No point stressing now! Have a mince pie and just wait and see!! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Quick question: is the TW test automatic or do they reject people on application form?
    From what I could tell at the open day, you need to pass the 'initial screening'. But your application is still an integral part when deciding whether you get AC, even after the test I believe :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.