2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey guys - I was just wondering if a short concluding sentence is necessary for the Freshfields personal statement? At the moment, I haven’t got one but I’m already slightly over the word count. Any help would be appreciated !!:)
    As a matter of good writing practice, I would generally have a concluding sentence to make the piece read as smoothly as possible. I often used a variation on "There are many more reasons why I feel I am an optimal candidate for this position which I would welcome the opportunity to discuss at interview.".

If you're really pushed for words, you can even go for something like a very simple "Thank you for assessing my application"; really all you need os something to round out the piece and make it seem more 'together'.

Reactions: NK

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    As a matter of good writing practice, I would generally have a concluding sentence to make the piece read as smoothly as possible. I often used a variation on "There are many more reasons why I feel I am an optimal candidate for this position which I would welcome the opportunity to discuss at interview.".

If you're really pushed for words, you can even go for something like a very simple "Thank you for assessing my application"; really all you need os something to round out the piece and make it seem more 'together'.
    Completely agree - the personal statement did look a little odd without a concluding sentence and definitely makes it flow better. Thank you so much for your help!

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Has anyone got any advice for a personal statement that is only 300 words? Should I be focusing more on 1 of 'why law', 'why me' or 'why the firm', or should I still be trying to fit them all in? Thanks for any help, Happy NY everyone!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys - I was just wondering if a short concluding sentence is necessary for the Freshfields personal statement? At the moment, I haven’t got one but I’m already slightly over the word count. Any help would be appreciated !!:)

no - not necessary

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the reference for Freshfields, it says it needs to be academic. My personal tutor was also my academic tutor for a module in second year (I scored a first in this module so she is preferable). Am I able to put her @Jessica Booker @Jacob Miller

yes - that’s perfectly fine

Reactions: Celestie

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Do you have any friends that you can share the subscription with? I agree that the price is borderline extortionate, but I split it between three other people and that made it way more affordable!
    Hey, quick question: because the subscriptions are so odd, I’m quite confused. I assume you can’t just buy the 1 week subscription and download the materials for use in the future?

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Hey, quick question: because the subscriptions are so odd, I’m quite confused. I assume you can’t just buy the 1 week subscription and download the materials for use in the future?
    You can download the information I believe - I simply made notes that were more suited to me.

The only thing you can't do is resit the tests after the week expires. Arguably you could write out every test, but I don't think this would be a good use of time personally.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa and Veep9

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    For the reference for Freshfields, it says it needs to be academic. My personal tutor was also my academic tutor for a module in second year (I scored a first in this module so she is preferable). Am I able to put her @Jessica Booker @Jacob Miller
    Yes indeed, I always used my PT as an academic reference. Generally speaking, I would contact them beforehand to ask their permission to share their details and advise what the application is for, etc.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    You can download the information I believe - I simply made notes that were more suited to me.

The only thing you can't do is resit the tests after the week expires. Arguably you could write out every test, but I don't think this would be a good use of time personally.
    Amazing thank you!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Has anyone been to a Milbank insight day or anything in the past and know how to approach this question?! it feels like an academic essay :eek:

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” (Ronald Reagan, 1987). In a Covid world, can governments adequately protect public health, stimulate the economy and preserve personal freedom all at the same time?

I have no experience with Milbank but to me this feels like a question they're using to test your writing skills and clarity of thought. Some firms use general questions like asking to explain a topic that interests you to test these skills and I suppose this question is a new variant of something like that. :confused: Definitely do not write your answer like an academic essay, but as long as you have an argument and are able to explain your points clearly I think you should be fine.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Helpme12345

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 20, 2020
    Has anyone (or know anyone who has) heard any positive news back from Linklaters yet? Or is no news good news, since I've only seen posts about rejection emails?
    Most of the GR team are on holiday right now. Also, the Winter VS interns are interviewing for TC spots next week, so hopefully you should hear back towards the end of next week or the following week. Best of luck!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Kelly_, OB and bibss

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Yes you can download the information! But personally what helped me is not so much the actual job test prep guides but actually practicing the questions multiple times over and working out for myself the reasoning behind the answers. Although I do completely understand the cost issue behind being able to do this.

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Hi, does anyone have tips on Weil's VI please ?

I did it last cycle and I had 2 questions. 1 was motivational and the other was competency based. I’d advise prepping for those types of Qs. I think it’s also a good idea in VIs to prep for a commercial Q about an interesting news story because it’s difficult to make that up practically on the spot.

legalCheek27

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 29, 2020
    Has anyone applied for Reed Smith? I sent in the first application form on the 30th, but haven’t received the link to the SST yet. Was expecting the link to come through the next day. Should I contact them?

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Has anyone applied for Reed Smith? I sent in the first application form on the 30th, but haven’t received the link to the SST yet. Was expecting the link to come through the next day. Should I contact them?
    Might be a delay as grad rec could be out of office.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    Hi everyone, I'm not sure if anyone would know but I am just wondering what a good score is for PwC game-based assessment. I know they assess it on things other than the score, but I'm just wondering what I should've been aiming for and whether or not to get my hopes up. I am fairly pessimistic at the moment. Thanks! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.