2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I have another Osborne Clarke question please. First, these are the questions.

1. Please describe a current business issue or opportunity for organisations operating within one of our key sectors. Why is this topic of particular interest to you? How can Osborne Clarke assist our clients with this? (500 words max)*​

2. How is Osborne Clarke different from the other firms to which you have applied? (250 words max)*​

3. Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*​

4. What are the most important aspects of a career for you? What makes you feel motivated and fulfilled? (250 words max)*​

I feel like I can talk about OC’s work in answers 1 and 3. Can I make values / non hierarchical culture the focus of q2?
    Unless you've done a vacation scheme or other work experience at that firm, I would never personally make culture the focus of an answer. I would always advise focussing this question on things like:
    - key practice areas
    - key industries
    - international strategy
    - training nuances

There's nothing to stop you discussing culture as a component part of your answer but I would really advise keeping it small. The reason I say this is that, in my opinion, someone who's not spent a decent amount of time at a firm doesn't really have the credibility to extensively discuss culture because they haven't experienced it. Imo, you're much better focussing on tangible things that you don't need to have per se experienced first hand.

Best of luck! :)

jkjk99

Jan 8, 2021
    Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right thread. I'm in my final year now and I'm hoping to secure a TC before applying for the LPC.

I want to wait until a vac scheme in April or July, but I was wondering if it would be too late by then to apply for the LPC.

I was wondering when people usually apply?? Thanks!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right thread. I'm in my final year now and I'm hoping to secure a TC before applying for the LPC.

I want to wait until a vac scheme in April or July, but I was wondering if it would be too late by then to apply for the LPC.

I applied in Dec 2019 for Jan 2020 start at BPP. It is not too late until a couple of weeks after the course starts! They will take your money as late as possible.

leolegal

Distinguished Member
    Dec 23, 2020

I applied to ULaw in June 2020 for a September start, sent my application and got an offer two days later

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I completed the VRT and the then received an email saying they’d respond by late February/April/August. Is that the same email you received?
    Thanks for responding! I haven't had a response from my initial application, but then again I did only submit on 30th December

FC

Star Member
  • Jan 27, 2020

Hey, I applied in August for the LPC @ The University of Law & started one month later!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

There really is no such thing as too late with LPC providers - in most cases, you can apply up until a couple of weeks before the course starts.

I would recommend leaving it as late as possible. If you apply now and accept a place, you will be tied into a contract. I've heard horror stories from students who applied 'just in case', secured a TC with a firm who used a different provider, and ended up being sent a bill from the original provider because they had passed the cutoff by which you can wriggle out of it.

Mxkry

Legendary Member
    Oct 13, 2020
    Davis Polk's website states that 'We will be accepting applications for our 2021 vacation scheme from penultimate-year law undergraduates and law postgraduates between 1 December 2020 and 9 January 2021'. Does this mean that final- year law undergraduates cannot apply?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.