2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ola830

Star Member
Jan 9, 2021
Hello! Just wanted to ask if someone can help me out with the following question for BCLP:

What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s sectors/ departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why?

I just really struggle to write an answer for it and any guidance or brief examples would be much appreciated.

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
Hello! Just wanted to ask if someone can help me out with the following question for BCLP:

What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s sectors/ departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why?

I just really struggle to write an answer for it and any guidance or brief examples would be much appreciated.
Hey, I was thinking of approaching it by picking three sectors/practice areas I'm interested in and then explaining why - similar to why the firm que. Would be interesting to hear how others have approached it :)

Reactions: collie_121 and ellwilsen

RyanM1

Star Member
Jan 4, 2021
Hey! I have received an invite to the WG for CMS, and I'm definitely overthinking it a bit too much as it's my first one this year (all of my others have been psychometric tests), so I wondered if anyone knew a rough percentile benchmark? (my panicking self has assumed that unless I am above the 80th I won't be invited to VI :oops:)
Congratulations! My understanding is every firm sets a different benchmark and they don’t tend to disclose what that is. I believe someone above sent something about a 65% benchmark for one firm but I would just aim to get as high as you can! When did you sent your application and hear back? I haven’t heard from them yet

• 🏆
Reactions: MollyV

ola830

Star Member
Jan 9, 2021
Hey, I was thinking of approaching it by picking three sectors/practice areas I'm interested in and then explaining why - similar to why the firm que. Would be interesting to hear how others have approached it :)

I think I might be overthinking this question way too much.
I am sort of dividing the question into two parts:

First part is about what I find attractive about some of the firm's departments so maybe things like clients or deals?
Second part is about what areas I want to experience

but then I feel like these are overlapping and the reasons can be the same. The confusing use of sectors/departments/areas also has me uncertain.

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Hello! Looking for advice re: the following question

What key attributes do you believe are necessary to become a successful lawyer?

More specifically, am I just supposed to list them or should I also provide some evidence that I have those skills?

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hello! Looking for advice re: the following question

What key attributes do you believe are necessary to become a successful lawyer?

More specifically, am I just supposed to list them or should I also provide some evidence that I have those skills?

What is the word count?

Personally, I will not just list them but also provide detail such as things you have done that show you have those attributes.

Angeliki

Standard Member
    Nov 7, 2020
    I was thinking of using this example in my cover letter to show why I am suitable for a vacation scheme at Travers Smith. If someone has the time, how can I improve my answer?

I believe that a commercial mindset as well as communication, teamwork, and problem-solving skills are necessary qualities to be a successful lawyer at Travers Smith. I have demonstrated these skills during a two-part virtual workshop on commercial awareness organised by Squire Patton Boggs. The first part of the workshop consisted of a lecture on commercial awareness and its importance to a commercial solicitor’s skillset. The second part involved preparing a group presentation about the reopening of an engine manufacturing business affected by the coronavirus pandemic. We were given a week to prepare and during that time I made sure to organise regular meetings with my group members to discuss the content and structure of our presentation. In our presentation, we advised the directors of the fictitious business on key issues regarding their personnel, property, and finances. I was responsible for advising the client on how to manage their finances and finding the most affordable way of reopening. In the end, we presented our work in front of three associates and the Inclusion and Diversity Manager of the firm. I actively developed an understanding of the broader commercial implications of the pandemic on one of the worst hit industries. I look forward to applying this knowledge during my vacation scheme when working on case studies and carrying out research.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    In a cover letter or other application answer, what is the correct way to talk about a firm.

a) referring to them in the third person. So saying for example Linklaters has exciting work and their ability

b) referring to them in the second person. For example, linklaters has exciting work and your ability

I see a more commonly on most applications and always thought this was the right way. But I was watching a shearman webinar and they said option a Is a language technique that isn’t correct? Would love some insight

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    In a cover letter or other application answer, what is the correct way to talk about a firm.

a) referring to them in the third person. So saying for example Linklaters has exciting work and their ability

b) referring to them in the second person. For example, linklaters has exciting work and your ability

I see a more commonly on most applications and always thought this was the right way. But I was watching a shearman webinar and they said option a Is a language technique that isn’t correct? Would love some insight

I go off this piece by Shearman, if that helps? https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/2017/05/03/100-ways-improve-training-contract-application/

Point 70:
    "70. Get your grammar right – It is best to refer to Shearman & Sterling as 'it' rather than 'they/their'. Using an example question above from point 66, a correct way of referring to the firm would be 'Shearman & Sterling maintains its competitive advantage by...", rather than "Shearman & Sterling maintain their competitive advantage by..."

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I go off this piece by Shearman, if that helps? https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/2017/05/03/100-ways-improve-training-contract-application/

Point 70:
    "70. Get your grammar right – It is best to refer to Shearman & Sterling as 'it' rather than 'they/their'. Using an example question above from point 66, a correct way of referring to the firm would be 'Shearman & Sterling maintains its competitive advantage by...", rather than "Shearman & Sterling maintain their competitive advantage by..."
    thanks! I definitely interpreted this question wrong on their webinar haha, maybe I need a break after all.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    Hi guys! I was just wondering whether my understanding of this question is correct.
    'What will drive you to succeed at TW?'
    Is this almost a why the firm question? Would I link why I want to work at/what draws me to the firm with how this would keep me motivated? Thanks in advance :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was thinking of using this example in my cover letter to show why I am suitable for a vacation scheme at Travers Smith. If someone has the time, how can I improve my answer?

I believe that a commercial mindset as well as communication, teamwork, and problem-solving skills are necessary qualities to be a successful lawyer at Travers Smith. I have demonstrated these skills during a two-part virtual workshop on commercial awareness organised by Squire Patton Boggs. The first part of the workshop consisted of a lecture on commercial awareness and its importance to a commercial solicitor’s skillset. The second part involved preparing a group presentation about the reopening of an engine manufacturing business affected by the coronavirus pandemic. We were given a week to prepare and during that time I made sure to organise regular meetings with my group members to discuss the content and structure of our presentation. In our presentation, we advised the directors of the fictitious business on key issues regarding their personnel, property, and finances. I was responsible for advising the client on how to manage their finances and finding the most affordable way of reopening. In the end, we presented our work in front of three associates and the Inclusion and Diversity Manager of the firm. I actively developed an understanding of the broader commercial implications of the pandemic on one of the worst hit industries. I look forward to applying this knowledge during my vacation scheme when working on case studies and carrying out research.

I think this is overly descriptive for a cover letter - I wouldn’t expect an example to be more than 3-4 sentences.

Reactions: layla rose and Celestie

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I’d always go with B or as mentioned above “its” is another good way of writing.

Reactions: JoNo

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    What is the word count?

Personally, I will not just list them but also provide detail such as things you have done that show you have those attributes.

250 words!
    Yeah, I 100% agree that providing detail is normally the more sensible option - but I wouldn’t want to go “off topic”, if they wanted examples they’d have said so wouldn’t they? :(

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    250 words!
    Yeah, I 100% agree that providing detail is normally the more sensible option - but I wouldn’t want to go “off topic”, if they wanted examples they’d have said so wouldn’t they? :(
    Not necessarily. The word count is clue enough. I think that just putting a few attributes and then talking about them impersonally is incorrect. I don't think you would go off topic by providing examples. By providing examples that show you have the attributes you believe are necessary to be a good lawyer, you are effectively explaining to the firm that you yourself have what is needed to be a good lawyer. I am pretty sure I have answered this question before. What firm is this for?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

I find it a bit worrying if you don’t know where to start with this question as it’s asking why you like the work the firm does which is the most important part for applying!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.