2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringSolicitor

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
Has anyone heard back from Simmons for the summer vs, I did my VI and tests back in nov and havent heard since!
I'm exactly the same! But I know someone who completed the tests on the same day as me and was rejected back in December so I'm hoping no news is good news. Reckon we're probably a 'maybe' and they're waiting for everyone to complete the tests/VI now before sending out AC invites... but who knows

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
I'm exactly the same! But I know someone who completed the tests on the same day as me and was rejected back in December so I'm hoping no news is good news. Reckon we're probably a 'maybe' and they're waiting for everyone to complete the tests/VI now before sending out AC invites... but who knows
ahh yeah that might be true! always have to remind myself that no news is good news ahah

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I had a vac scheme interview the other day and keep thinking about the fact that the senior partner cracked a joke about wanting to get drunk with his mates at the pub lol. Is it a good thing that he was joking around or do you think he was trying to catch me out to see how I’d respond ? Probably just overthinking this haha
    As others have said, I'd generally take this as a good sign.

One of the biggest factors that I think contributed to my success getting a TC was that I flipped my mindset to realise that interviewing partners are humans too. They've got lives, hobbies, families, etc. The analogy I always use is that it's a bit like when you're a wee kid, you can't possibly imagine your teacher having a life outside of school- they're on a mental pedestal and that makes the relationship dynamic a lot more challenging/ intimidating.
    When I really made an effort to move past this and try to break down some of that mental pedestal/ barrier, I found that a huge amount of the normal interview anxiety/ nerves disappeared and I was able to be much more relaxed, personable and authentic in my interviews. This was also when I really noticed interviewers would also relax a bit, make jokes, be more conversational etc- in my experience, this correlated directly to offer success etc.

Very best of luck with the outcome!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: jan28, J32, Jaysen and 12 others

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Every partner/team I mentioned in my BCLP app have now moved to different firms - maybe this is why they haven't replied to me :D
    BCLP GR reading those names:
    tenor.png

Reactions: APP

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    As others have said, I'd generally take this as a good sign.

One of the biggest factors that I think contributed to my success getting a TC was that I flipped my mindset to realise that interviewing partners are humans too. They've got lives, hobbies, families, etc. The analogy I always use is that it's a bit like when you're a wee kid, you can't possibly imagine your teacher having a life outside of school- they're on a mental pedestal and that makes the relationship dynamic a lot more challenging/ intimidating.
    When I really made an effort to move past this and try to break down some of that mental pedestal/ barrier, I found that a huge amount of the normal interview anxiety/ nerves disappeared and I was able to be much more relaxed, personable and authentic in my interviews. This was also when I really noticed interviewers would also relax a bit, make jokes, be more conversational etc- in my experience, this correlated directly to offer success etc.

Very best of luck with the outcome!
    Very well said and that was very helpful! Hopefully it will be a positive outcome - thank you so much for the advice :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.