2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Baker McKenzie rejection! Quite gutted because it really was one of my favourite firms, but this is my first proper application season so perhaps better to show some humility and take it on the chin. Honestly quite relieved cause waiting for a response was killing me! Anyway, all the best for those holding AC offers :)
    Same here! My rejection from Bakers just came through (not that I hadn’t been expecting it since yesterday!) - it hurts but at the same time getting this far on my first application cycle wasn’t all that bad! Onwards, we’ll make it eventually :)
    I was hoping for some slightly more detailed feedback though - my email was extremely generic. It feels like I should be doing something to improve my chances but don’t know what that is!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    4. What are the most important aspects of a career for you? What makes you feel motivated and fulfilled? (250)

Does anyone have any insight on how to approach 'most important aspect of a career' part of this question?
    Well I think that this answer really needs to be unique to you. Some people are motivated by becoming a national leader in their field, some are motivated by helping clients and building relationships, some are motivated by involvement on big projects for well known clients, etc.

Reactions: OB

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Baker McKenzie rejection post VI. Gutted as thought I smashed the VI!
    I feel you - I was in that same spot yesterday. I know it's easier said than done but try not to dwell too much on it. Identify what you can do to improve and then make the decision to mentally move on. It just means that this wasn't the best opportunity for you right now - others will come if you keep improving and putting yourself out there! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Mea, Bugsy Malone and OB
    D

Deleted member 2707

Same here! My rejection from Bakers just came through (not that I hadn’t been expecting it since yesterday!) - it hurts but at the same time getting this far on my first application cycle wasn’t all that bad! Onwards, we’ll make it eventually :)
    I was hoping for some slightly more detailed feedback though - my email was extremely generic. It feels like I should be doing something to improve my chances but don’t know what that is!

Yes! It was a little generic and I was really confused as I thought I did a lot better than I did in previous cycles. :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB and Staples
    D

Deleted member 2707

I feel you - I was in that same spot yesterday. I know it's easier said than done but try not to dwell too much on it. Identify what you can do to improve and then make the decision to mentally move on. It just means that this wasn't the best opportunity for you right now - others will come if you keep improving and putting yourself out there! :)

Thank you for your kind words! I'm honestly just lost with what to do and I'm thinking of giving up at this point.

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Thank you for your kind words! I'm honestly just lost with what to do and I'm thinking of giving up at this point.

I just received the Bakers rejection also post VI and honestly was set on the firm so it stings v badly! I have these thoughts also, but just remember how far you got, and that you've got what it takes to eventually succeed, even if that takes longer than we'd like! I graduated in 2018 and have been applying for 2 rounds unsuccessfully. Take a break, focus on your mental health, and don't belittle your self confidence. I honestly believe consistency is key for this gruelling process.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone. I have a bit of a weird situation/fortunate one.
    I am a final year non-law student. I've done vacation schemes at several elite US firms. I have a training contract offer currently open, and I am waiting to hear back from two other firms that I interviewed with.

I really really like the look of a specific firm, and think it's a fit for me. I've met the grad rec team and networked with their lawyers. They accept direct TC and VS applicants, and recruit from a mix of the two. I've applied for their vac scheme and was offered an interview.

I don't want to have to do another vac scheme. Nor do I want to turn down my current tc offers which would expire by the end of the month.

Is it absolutely crazy if I email grad recruitment at this firm, and ask if there is any chance I could be interviewed now for a TC with them?
    I'm obviously a strong candidate, but they don't usually accept direct TC applications until like June.

There is no harm in at least asking.

Or you could choose to accept one of your offers and then renege at a later date if you secured a TC with this firm and decided that was your preference.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can I just 100% confirm that, for an online application form that asks for a cover letter to be pasted into a box, there is no need to include things like the firm's address, my address, a subject, and a date? Thank you!

Free text box with no formatting, yes you can avoid all those things

(subjects aren’t really used with attached letters though anyway).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: MizM

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
    Oct 15, 2020
    I know a lot about it from an assessment perspective. What would you like to know?
    I've got a written assessment coming up with a focus on time management, and I would just like a heads-up on what I can expect in terms of format and rules regarding what I can do during the assessment (maybe it's different for each firm using the platform). Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.