2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizM

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
Guys, I need to share this with someone. I've been offered a vacation scheme place at one of the most elite firms in the City. I actually can't believe this has happened. I come from a low socio-economic class and have had so many obstacles to overcome throughout my life. But, I must say, I was an absolute beast in the interview. I answered everything they threw at me. I felt like, at that moment, I could have achieved anything. They told me I was "one of the best candidates" they'd ever interviewed. It's taken me ages to process all of this and share it with anyone. I haven't told my friends yet, only my immediate family knows.

Please note, I don't intend for this post to be boastful or anything of that sort.

I want to share one thing with everyone - do not try to be anyone else, be only yourself.

I do not consider myself to be special in any way, or to have any particular talents. But, I work bloody hard, and if I don't know something, I will do everything I can to get the answer. I do not give up.

I want all of you who doubt yourself to know that; you've got this! It's in your hands. You can't control everything. Worry about the things you can and prepare to the fullest.

I hope that this has inspired some people and that you realise, it's not a competition with others, it's a competition with yourself. Better yourself each day.

Big hugs to everyone! Much love!

This really resonates with me. I am from a similar background in that my family was made homeless around 8 years ago. This also coincided with failing me my a levels. But I stuck at it, gave it my all. I had a TC interview with Slaughter and May in October which unfortunately didn’t go my way. I was obviously devastated but I haven't given up. I am yet to find a VS or a TC but I genuinely believe that I will find one eventually. I simply will not stop until I find one. Even if it takes me 10+ years - I’ll keep going for it. Success stories keep you motivated so thanks so much for sharing. Well done on securing your VS. Keep smashing it!!

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Guys, I need to share this with someone. I've been offered a vacation scheme place at one of the most elite firms in the City. I actually can't believe this has happened. I come from a low socio-economic class and have had so many obstacles to overcome throughout my life. But, I must say, I was an absolute beast in the interview. I answered everything they threw at me. I felt like, at that moment, I could have achieved anything. They told me I was "one of the best candidates" they'd ever interviewed. It's taken me ages to process all of this and share it with anyone. I haven't told my friends yet, only my immediate family knows.

Please note, I don't intend for this post to be boastful or anything of that sort.

I want to share one thing with everyone - do not try to be anyone else, be only yourself.

I do not consider myself to be special in any way, or to have any particular talents. But, I work bloody hard, and if I don't know something, I will do everything I can to get the answer. I do not give up.

I want all of you who doubt yourself to know that; you've got this! It's in your hands. You can't control everything. Worry about the things you can and prepare to the fullest.

I hope that this has inspired some people and that you realise, it's not a competition with others, it's a competition with yourself. Better yourself each day.

I LOVE THIS!!!!!! Huge huge congratulations!!!!!!! You’ve done AMAZINGLY and you are amazing!!!!! If you keep trying, you will always get there as you slowly improve day by day. What an inspiration you are, congrats once again. Now take some time to slow down, process what’s happened and celebrate!

• 🤝
    Reactions: TikiTaka18 and Kola

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

I love 'it's not a competition with others, it's a competition with yourself' - that is so true! Congratulations and thank you for sharing some excellent advice there too!

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019

This is what I like reading on a Monday morning!!! Absolutely amazing. Huge congratulations!

• 🤝
    Reactions: TikiTaka18

mpongo

Jan 13, 2021
    Do you know of any firms on the top of your head that use Forage? Just out of curiosity :)
    I would say that a general rule is, the bigger the vac scheme (of trainee intake) the more likely it is that grad rec have chosen the forage option.
    Clifford Chance, Slaughter and May, Latham & Watkins, White & Case, Linklaters, to name a few.

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019

Congratulations! I love hearing stories like this, particularly the realisation that this process is a competition with yourself :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: TikiTaka18

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I would say that a general rule is, the bigger the vac scheme (of trainee intake) the more likely it is that grad rec have chosen the forage option.
    Clifford Chance, Slaughter and May, Latham & Watkins, White & Case, Linklaters, to name a few.

Correct me if I'm missing something, but as I understand it the Forage/InsideSherpa programmes produced by each of those firms are completely separate from their actual vac schemes. The Forage activities involve no application and are freely accessible to give potential applicants a flavour of what the firm or a particular practice area are all about. The vac schemes run by those firms, albeit 'virtual' because they are being done remotely this year, are to the best of my knowledge still substantively similar to vac schemes in previous years w/r/t exposure to actual work etc.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    I think that's a difficult one to answer because firms don't tend to have a set % to pass ie it's not like if a candidate gets 30 or above correct out of 40 they have passed. Firms seem to base it on a % based against how others who took the same questions did.

Last year I failed every online test I completed and I'd practiced for hours. However, this year I seem to have passed everyone so I think for me it really just took lots of practice and evaluating the reasoning behind each answer. Having said that, when I last completed the two full tests on JobTestPrep I got 36/40 and 35/40 and I scored in 76% for Hogan Lovells WG and was told I passed. Hope that helps in some way :)

Also just to add - I noticed this year that you're asked more questions on assumptions and evaluating arguments, so I prioritised practicing these ones.

Hi Flora,

How did you find out your score of the Hogan Lovells WG? :)

mpongo

Jan 13, 2021
    Correct me if I'm missing something, but as I understand it the Forage/InsideSherpa programmes produced by each of those firms are completely separate from their actual vac schemes. The Forage activities involve no application and are freely accessible to give potential applicants a flavour of what the firm or a particular practice area are all about. The vac schemes run by those firms, albeit 'virtual' because they are being done remotely this year, are to the best of my knowledge still substantively similar to vac schemes in previous years w/r/t exposure to actual work etc.

I am afraid I am going to have to correct you.

I've done vac schemes with three of the companies in that list, and can confirm that you do not do real firm work. You do the exact same kind of work that is available on their 'freely available' 'internships'. This is exactly why I was saying that for me, they were a bit of a waste of time. In essence, they are a week/two week long open day rather than a vac scheme.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

This is awesome! What you LOVE to see on a Monday morning! Huge congrats to you and best of luck for the vacation scheme - we're all right behind you :)

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Q regarding those Forage/Inside Sherpa programs people are mentioning.

Is it acceptable to put them in the work experience/history section of an application form?

I know their ‘CV policy’ says you can’t put them in work experience section of a CV but would firms care if you did?

Do firms pay any kind of notice to these virtual programs, esp as they’re freely available for anyone?

I wouldn't put them on a CV, but for application forms I've seen some recruiters say to include them in work experience, all under one entry if you've done more than one. This may vary firm to firm so it's worth checking with grad rec in any instance.

Naturally if you're applying to a firm which has produced its own insight programme it's probably a safe bet to include it if you've done it - just bear in mind they may go off and check your homework.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Q regarding those Forage/Inside Sherpa programs people are mentioning.

Is it acceptable to put them in the work experience/history section of an application form?

I know their ‘CV policy’ says you can’t put them in work experience section of a CV but would firms care if you did?

Do firms pay any kind of notice to these virtual programs, esp as they’re freely available for anyone?

You can put them in work experience sections if you want to (nothing stopping you) but firms know what they are and so could be seemed as a bit misplaced to do so.

Firms do pay attention to them though - they are better than not having them and show a lot of self drive/motivation to educate yourself about the career which is great. They just shouldn’t be considered more important than jobs where you have to actually turn up at fixed times/dates or to deliver actual work, even if that job is not related to law at all.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Staples
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.