2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpongo

Jan 13, 2021
They have got to go into in now as they can’t get all their trainees through the old process. A lot of them don’t have a choice unless they want a dual qualification process (which no firms really want).
Thanks Jessica, that's interesting. Yes, I was under the impression that there was no choice.

When you say that some firms can't get all their trainees through the old process, what do you mean?
Is that in terms of timelines, or is it that there aren't enough spaces on the old style courses?

It seems to me that the smaller intake American firms are more likely to stick to the old route, for now.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Guys, I need to share this with someone. I've been offered a vacation scheme place at one of the most elite firms in the City. I actually can't believe this has happened. I come from a low socio-economic class and have had so many obstacles to overcome throughout my life. But, I must say, I was an absolute beast in the interview. I answered everything they threw at me. I felt like, at that moment, I could have achieved anything. They told me I was "one of the best candidates" they'd ever interviewed. It's taken me ages to process all of this and share it with anyone. I haven't told my friends yet, only my immediate family knows.

Please note, I don't intend for this post to be boastful or anything of that sort.

I want to share one thing with everyone - do not try to be anyone else, be only yourself.

I do not consider myself to be special in any way, or to have any particular talents. But, I work bloody hard, and if I don't know something, I will do everything I can to get the answer. I do not give up.

I want all of you who doubt yourself to know that; you've got this! It's in your hands. You can't control everything. Worry about the things you can and prepare to the fullest.

I hope that this has inspired some people and that you realise, it's not a competition with others, it's a competition with yourself. Better yourself each day.

Big hugs to everyone! Much love!

I am beaming with pride - you're giving me faith. :D
    Well done!

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    Random bit of advice I thought I'd share is, when you're applying for virtual vac schemes. Find out how they're run. If they are run by forage/inside sherpa the actual work experience side of things will be useless. You can get similar things without going through all of the process to get one. Sounds harsh but it's true, so I honestly wouldn't recommend doing one of these vac schemes if your main goal is to try out work that a trainee does.

Other law firms either give you a remote desktop or send you a work laptop so you can try out the work. These are a million times better than the other kind of virtual vac scheme.
    Very true - I think that a huge downside of some of these virtual schemes is the inability to do work/work is controlled by grad rec. However one of the VS that I participated in ran the main activities on Forage such as presentation talks, case studies etc. but then had scheduled in time for our seat where we were supervised by an associate and were given a remote desktop for this bit which felt like actual work experience - so even if the firm tells you they use a platform like Forage it is probably a better bet to try and find out whether you do get to have a seat etc.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Manifesting and mpongo

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    Hey! I was wondering if you have any insight on the VI? and any tips?
    Hope you hear back asap!!

Good luck with your VI! I prepared for it like it was a "normal" interview. I thought ahead about competency question examples as well as the standard questions of why the firm and why law.

I finished mine in about 15 minutes (so its pretty short). I would think about how you structure your answer to ensure your points come across clearly. Hope this helps!

• 🤝
    Reactions: MaG123

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Why do you want to be a solicitor?
    What are the day to day tasks of a solicitor?
    What skills do you have that would make you a good solicitor?
    Why do you want to work at this firm?
    Tell us about a time you have worked in a team
    Tell us about a time you have managed conflict
    Tell us about a commercial news story that recently caught your attention
    Situational style questions (in my experience, the firm will say in their email if they will ask you a situational question)

And certainly more!!

So, have a read of the email the firm sent, that’s usually a good guide. VI questions range a lot. Practicing typical interview questions is a really good start. Feel free to PM if you want more help :)
    Thankyou so much!

The firm stated “The questions you are about to answer are based on your knowledge of us, the role you have applied for and your commercial awareness.””

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    I applied on 5 November. I chased them up earlier this week to see when I should expect to hear an outcome. They asked if I was interviewing elsewhere or if I needed to know sooner for any other reason. So I replied that I am interviewing with three other firms. They responded today asking which firms and when so I let them know and they said they will get back to me as soon as possible.

Well, Slaughters got back to me pretty quick....rejection. Yay :D lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.