Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Happy Friday!!

Do you think I can shorten Penningtons Manches Cooper to ‘PMC’ on the application form? Or is it best to stick to ‘Penningtons’
    Either would probably be acceptable as long as you introduce it by its full name the first time you refer to the firm. I would probably use PMC personally.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    You will probably be asked to provide other evidence. Either getting a reference from someone you worked with, payslips, employment contract confirmations (eg documents/payslips/ payments into your bank). Any emails confirming the work could also work.

It’s likely with voluntary roles they won’t even ask for a reference though.
    Okay, thank you so much! This is a relief because my voluntary role was in Sri Lanka so I don't think I would be able to provide a proper reference! So if I was to provide the email of my supervisor at a restaurant for example that would be sufficient even if the company/ restaurant no longer had a company email as they have closed down?

KB2020

Future Trainee
    Aug 4, 2020
    Congratulations! Are they still conducting interviews? I never heard anything back after applying for their Spring Vac Scheme and passing the Watson Glaser
    Thank you. Yes I think they are doing ACs all this week. They might be waiting to see what the results are from the ACs before inviting more people in. Fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: JayC

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Okay, thank you so much! This is a relief because my voluntary role was in Sri Lanka so I don't think I would be able to provide a proper reference! So if I was to provide the email of my supervisor at a restaurant for example that would be sufficient even if the company/ restaurant no longer had a company email as they have closed down?
    Not ideal but better than nothing if the reference company thinks it is important. They might not depending on how long ago it was and whether your other references are satisfactory or not

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Reactions: MandyAA

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Anyone else have law-student fatigue? Between exams, jobs, extra curriculars, applications and PFOs I’m genuinely... drained?? Any tips on how to snap out of it?
    A break is needed! I completely understand how you feel as I was very overwhelmed during my applications last year and even right now with uni in my final year. I think the stress is added now that almost everything is online- the screen fatigue can be a killer!

My biggest advice would be to take an evening or a day off to yourself where you can just relax and focus on non-law things. Sometimes you may feel like there is just no time for this, but your mental wellbeing should always be a priority. Even a daily walk can be so beneficial

Remember, whilst its overwhelming right now, it will eventually pass.

Hope you feel better soon:)

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Anyone else have law-student fatigue? Between exams, jobs, extra curriculars, applications and PFOs I’m genuinely... drained?? Any tips on how to snap out of it?
    I am meant to be on said break but I was made aware of this post. I would like to start this off with well done in doing so well so far, your resilience in this process will only make you stronger.
    I cannot stress the importance of switching off. I go out of my way to leave my phone and laptop away and play on my console to not think about careers. Get creative - you need an outlet to distract your mind.

I am a massive thinker, so here is a list of things you may like to consider to do to switch off and relax:
    - Relaxed, non-intense shows like Friends, the Good Place, HIMYM, New GIrl
    - Art, drawing, doodles, painting
    - Youtube - I love video essays on my favourite movies and hearing interesting character analyses
    - Music/podcasts - there are some great podcasts like 'Philosophise This' and ones where you can learn a language.
    - Reading - amazon has a discount for students on books - make sure you put the right filter on
    - Meditate - headspace has great, quick guidances
    - Gaming - steam, AppStore, discord, you know it

If you are struggling to actually get to do these:
    - Put your laptop in another room
    - ONLY WORK AT YOUR DESK - I never ever work on my bed. My bed is a place of rest, not work.
    - Most phones have a timer on certain apps that you can set
    - Chrome extension 'Forest' blocks certain websites. Although aimed at social media, I have aimed it at Gmail to stop me from looking.
    - Go on a walk

I know this is rather generic at some points but I hope it is practical in some and it helps. :) Pm me if you would like to chat ofc

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I am meant to be on said break but I was made aware of this post. I would like to start this off with well done in doing so well so far, your resilience in this process will only make you stronger.
    I cannot stress the importance of switching off. I go out of my way to leave my phone and laptop away and play on my console to not think about careers. Get creative - you need an outlet to distract your mind.

I am a massive thinker, so here is a list of things you may like to consider to do to switch off and relax:
    - Youtube - I love video essays on my favourite movies and hearing interesting character analyses
    - Music/podcasts - there are some great podcasts like 'Philosophise This' and ones where you can learn a language.
    - Reading - amazon has a discount for students on books - make sure you put the right filter on

- ONLY WORK AT YOUR DESK - I never ever work on my bed. My bed is a place of rest, not work.
    - Chrome extension 'Forest' blocks certain websites. Although aimed at social media, I have aimed it at Gmail to stop me from looking.
    - Go on a walk

I know this is rather generic at some points but I hope it is practical in some and it helps. :) Pm me if you would like to chat ofc
    Love how considered and thought-through this is... then there's me like "JustEat and wine and I'm sorted" :oops: 😂

Suffice to say, also great advice as ever @Celestie

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    This might be a bit of a stretch but would anyone be open to sharing Eversheds' open day notes with me? Happy to try and help out in any way in return!

rebeccawkelly

Jan 4, 2021
    A break is needed! I completely understand how you feel as I was very overwhelmed during my applications last year and even right now with uni in my final year. I think the stress is added now that almost everything is online- the screen fatigue can be a killer!

My biggest advice would be to take an evening or a day off to yourself where you can just relax and focus on non-law things. Sometimes you may feel like there is just no time for this, but your mental wellbeing should always be a priority. Even a daily walk can be so beneficial

Remember, whilst its overwhelming right now, it will eventually pass.

Hope you feel better soon:)
    Thank you💕

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    This might be a bit of a stretch but would anyone be open to sharing Eversheds' open day notes with me? Happy to try and help out in any way in return!
    Hey - I’m happy to send you mine (not sure how legible my writing is though!) if you private message me your number I can send them on WhatsApp :)

Reactions: layk

rebeccawkelly

Jan 4, 2021

- Go on a walk

This is all so helpful thank you so much!! I’ve been colouring all evening with dance moms on in the background and I feel renewed already, hopefully it’ll last!😂

Reactions: Bugsy Malone
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.