2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Standard Member
Aug 10, 2020
if a VI question asks to discuss a recent story I've been following / opportunities and challenges currently affecting the legal industry, is it good practice to always link it back to the firm and how it can affect them/their clients?
I think it's definitely good practice to link it back to the firm. You're trying to show you would like to work there in particular, after all. If it's a question that specifies the "legal industry" then why wouldn't you link it back to the firm, a business that operates in that industry? ;)

Even if the firm you're applying to isn't directly affected by some change, there will probably be indirect effects you could mention - how do these 'opportunities and challenges' affect competitors? Are other firms gaining a competitive edge? The reverse?

I suppose it's easier to answer with a brief example. So, just from the top of my head - the SQE could be seen as an 'opportunity' that will affect the legal industry. How solicitors qualify affects all firms. In theory, the new qualification should lower training costs. How will this, in theory, affect firm profits (long term vs short term)?
But even with a broad story such as this, you can make explicit links to the firm you're applying to. How much does the firm invest in training? If the firm you're applying to has a large trainee intake, it will presumably save more than one with a far smaller intake - specific opportunities for reinvestment, or negligible impact? Will this benefit competitors more than your firm? (There's plenty more to say about the SQE, of course, but too much for this reply...!)

Just a random example (and without much depth!) but it hopefully shows that broad changes to the legal industry will have some effect on the firm you're applying to. Tailored answers are generally better than generic ones, I believe!

• Love
Reactions: C

Krispy

Jan 7, 2021
Hi there everyone,

I just did the VI for Addleshaw Goddard and they asked me 5 questions, giving me 30 seconds to think before the timer began, and then 2 minutes to answer each one.

They asked me 1 commercial awareness question, 1 question about COVID, 1 about qualities for commercial law. There is then a question slot for you to leave Any additional comments about yourself if you wish.

They may not ask everyone the same questions, but hopefully it gives people a rough idea of what to expect, and sets minds at ease!

Last edited:

anon101

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 2, 2020
Hi! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle a 'What do you need to work on?' question? I want to try and answer this without drawing attention to negatives! Could I talk about goals that I have?
Hi! I found this website with a test that gives you your strengths and weaknesses. I was struggling to figure out my weakness, but from the results, I think they're actually pretty accurate ahahah. Maybe you can try this out? 😊

• ℹ️
Reactions: Dheepa, Bugsy Malone and JayC

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
@Krispy, you shouldn't post full video interview questions to maintain fairness to everyone :)

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
I still not heard back from Latham, AG, Jones day and White & Case. Does that me I have been rejected?
I know someone that applied on the 1st of Oct (the day they opened for applications) and heard back last week on Friday, so they are just starting to get back to people. So depending on when you applied - you will hear back sooner or later :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hele25

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone know or know how to work out Baker McKenzie's core sectors? I've got their core practice areas down, but I always find sectors more tricky.

Hiya,

So while I don't think Bakers push the sector focus aspect as much as other firms, they are particularly strong in the consumer goods, TMT and EMI industry. For consumer goods and retail, one of their biggest clients is Unilever (and L'Oreal if I remember correctly). With Unilever in particular they advised on a $3.1bn acquisition of the Horlicks brand for Unilever a couple of years back, although a quick Google search will also show you they consistently advise on a string of smaller acquisitions as well. I'd assume this is because the large global footprint of these companies matches very well with the on the ground support Bakers can probably offer due to their own global reach. In the TMT industry, big clients include Google, Amazon (particularly for tax work). In EMI, a huge deal they also recently worked on was Hitachi's acquisition of ABB!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: anon101

CorporateB3

Star Member
    Jul 1, 2020
    HI has anyone recently done the LinkLaters AC? Could you please share your experience of the HR interview ? do they ask commercial awareness questions ? any help would be really great thank you
    Hi! I'm afraid I'm not of much help, but wanted to know when you applied and completed the WG. I think there are a large number of us still on hold/waiting to hear back. Would appreciate any info and best of luck with the AC!

hktr

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 10, 2019
    HI has anyone recently done the LinkLaters AC? Could you please share your experience of the HR interview ? do they ask commercial awareness questions ? any help would be really great thank you
    Not recently I'm afraid! But last year it was a standard competency interview (no commercial awareness Qs at all). It was one of my trickier competency interviews though. It was quite long and the interviewer would often ask for multiple examples of same/similar competencies - so make sure you come armed with as many examples as you can.

Reactions: traineeintraining

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Holding email from RPC saying I’ll hear back by end of February. Not feeling optimistic as I think the AC’s are soon!

Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.