2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriginal234

Star Member
Dec 31, 2020
I received two emails (but the first went to my junk so maybe check there??). The test is a GMA (??) which I've never heard of or done. If anybody has any advice on how to practice for that I'd appreciate it!

Also on my email it said it was due at 10am on Friday but later on at 3pm on Friday - did your email also say that?
It’s the Graduate Managerial Assessment. It’s basically a combination of verbal reasoning, abstract reasoning and numerical tests.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Does anyone have any tips for Dechert VI? Their email invite doesn't suggest what type of Q's they will test candidates on, so I'd appreciate any insight :)
Congrats! Last time I got through to their VI I was asked a competency, one commercial awareness and one on their firm - think it was how they remain competitive. May not be the same but prob along those lines! Do you mind me asking when you applied? :)

Reactions: dosblancos7

NadineBusty

Valued Member
Aug 21, 2019
I just got an email from Pinsent Masons (applied for London) saying:

"Following up on our recent email containing details on the psychometric test assessment and assessment days, please find below your login details necessary to complete the psychometric test." but this is the first email I've received? That is, they haven't sent me a recent email containing details about the test/AC. I logged on to the application portal and it just says that my app was updated today but I can't see anything about outstanding tests etc.

Has anyone else received the same email / Have any advice?

I havent received the test :(
I put so much effort into this app

Last edited:

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
Jul 17, 2020
Hi all, starting to feel very nervous about my upcoming RPC AC. The platform they use is TopScore, which I've never used, and I have no idea what to expect on the day in terms of the actual tasks. I'm also not feeling very well at all this week (my brain has felt very foggy) so if anyone has any tips, please do message me :(

scared no more GIF

I don't have any advice but if it makes you feel better, I also have an upcoming AC with them and feel the exact same way :eek: Just gotta remember that when you feel a bit off or nervous, it's way more apparent to you than to the interviewer! You'll smash it!

• Love
Reactions: OB and cmaj

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I received an email from Jones Day saying they liked my profile but have filled all spaces now but they encourage me to re-apply and mention this email next cycle. Is this an automated email for later applicants or did they read it and genuinely like it?
    A similar thing happened to me with JD back in the day. I'm sure they genuinely liked your profile!

• 🏆
    Reactions: collie_121 and Lauren2001

tla99

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 18, 2019
    I applied 3rd october so maybe they just forgot about me
    I'm sure they haven't! Maybe try sending them an email? I have a similar thing with Weil: completed the VI 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back even though they have been giving out AC s). The wait is so frustrating but we just gotta be patient I guess

Carmen H

Star Member
    Nov 19, 2019
    I received two emails (but the first went to my junk so maybe check there??). The test is a GMA (??) which I've never heard of or done. If anybody has any advice on how to practice for that I'd appreciate it!

Also on my email it said it was due at 10am on Friday but later on at 3pm on Friday - did your email also say that?
    Yes! But the other way around - initially it says the deadline is 3pm on the 29th, later on it gives an earlier time of 10am. Really not that much time at all to complete, especially considering it doesn't work on macbooks/iphones so I think I'm going to have to go to the library
    Baby Reaction GIF

CJCH

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 2, 2020
    I don't have any advice but if it makes you feel better, I also have an upcoming AC with them and feel the exact same way :eek: Just gotta remember that when you feel a bit off or nervous, it's way more apparent to you than to the interviewer! You'll smash it!
    I actually did an AC with TopScore for a non-law graduate role. I think the platform is easy to use, the documents for the written task will be opened in separate tabs, so it will be like different pages / tabs shown on your Chrome.

The only annoying part is that there isn't a timer on the page. It only shows the end time e.g. 11:30am, but that was not accurate in the sense that it won't close sharp at 11:30am, but suddenly close like maybe 2 or 3 minutes later. I think that buffer time is given for some final proof-reading, but when I tried to type something more, it just closed down randomly 🥲

Other than the timer thing, I think the platform is fine. Good luck with your AC!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I've never been more humiliated 😭. I spent a whole day tailoring my app only to get rejected the next day. Then emailed to see if it's an error and they just said NO.

I'm sorry this happened to you :( If it makes you feel better, I've spent weeks to tailoring apps only to get rejected two or three days later. Happens to the best of us

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.