2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Cognify is a collection of random mobile phone logic games except the time limit makes it impossible to do each question correctly in the amount of time alloted. This tends to make people stress out (me included, I almost quit the stupid thing on every single game). Play some of those brain training mobile games for a day or two before doing it.

Emotify is recognising faces which feels a bit....silly? No idea how to help you game this one if you are bad at recognising facial expressions. Don't overthink it and you should be alright.
    If it helps, I thought I botched the game completely. (faces was okayish) but still got called for interview, and eventually ended up getting a VS.

Just try your best.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    How do you know if an AC has gone well? I find it so hard to tell and when I feel like I can’t read the partners’ response to my answers I start second-guessing myself in the interview and feel like I’m botching it. Had an AC this week where one of the partners just seemed bored and was yawning while I talked about the case study which makes me feel like I really messed up...

I know it's really hard not to overthink stuff like this but honestly there is no way to tell at all. I've been to ACs where I thought I bombed it (partners just looked deadpan and irritated lol) and ended up getting the offer and I've also been to ACs where I thought I did well (partners smiling the whole time during the interview) and didn't get the offer. The only thing rewinding my answers and trying to analyse the day ever did to me was make me more anxious and stressed. I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. You really never know.

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    How do you know if an AC has gone well? I find it so hard to tell and when I feel like I can’t read the partners’ response to my answers I start second-guessing myself in the interview and feel like I’m botching it. Had an AC this week where one of the partners just seemed bored and was yawning while I talked about the case study which makes me feel like I really messed up...
    you can never tell! ac i thought i flunked i ended up getting a vac scheme and then the subsequent tc interview i thought went well i completely flopped!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi folks, if a one-page cover letter simply requests candidates to explain why you're interested in becoming a trainee at the firm, is it recommended to therefore skip the 'why law' section which I have typically included in prior cover letters and instead, tightly hone in on the 'why this firm' dynamic? Perhaps a silly question, but your input would be valuable!

Echoing everything that has been said, sometimes I think it is best to address the question directly instead of answering with what you think the firm wants to know. Part of the why you'd like to become a trainee answer could include at most one or two points on why commercial law (perhaps even tying your reasons more strongly to the trainee role specifically) before focusing the bulk of your answer on why that firm.

Reactions: Hamilton and Daniel Boden

Azcxnnna

Jan 29, 2021
    I know it's really hard not to overthink stuff like this but honestly there is no way to tell at all. I've been to ACs where I thought I bombed it (partners just looked deadpan and irritated lol) and ended up getting the offer and I've also been to ACs where I thought I did well (partners smiling the whole time during the interview) and didn't get the offer. The only thing rewinding my answers and trying to analyse the day ever did to me was make me more anxious and stressed. I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. You really never know.
    Rewinding my answers and analysing is exactly what I was doing when I read your answer, so thank you so much - I think that’s simultaneously nerve-wracking and liberating to hear haha

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa

rose63

Star Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Is it too late to apply for firms who recruit on a rolling basis when the app deadline is in 2 days? Don't want to spend time on them if it's going to be a straight rejection regardless

rose63

Star Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    I've had something similar from Burges in the past during my first VS cycle. It really sucks - but sometimes firms have a multitude of absolutely random reasons they'll reject you. Clearly your application was really strong, since they're interested in you pursuing a TC with them, so I wouldn't worry about that (just do some online business related courses or something to show you've developed - that's what I did for another firm). It literally may have just been something as simple as they're not sure whether you'd get along with the firm personality wise or that you applied slightly too late, if they're rolling. You should deffo contact Grad Rec asking for feedback but if their reply isn't helpful don't sweat it, you're obviously a great candidate!
    Thanks for this! I wasn't sure whether it was a generic email or because my app was decent but not quite enough for the VS. I was thinking of emailing grad rec about this but they state that they don't offer feedback at the application stage because of the quantity of applications. Would it be worth giving this a shot anyway? I'm just not sure how much I can change in my app to make it good enough for the TC app, although I'm pretty sure my 'Why Burges?' wasn't strong enough.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.