2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoryis

Jan 25, 2021
I was really put off a firm by how they handled the whole Covid-19 situation. I had a vacation scheme all set up and then they cancelled it and then told us they're not considered us for a TC, said they would replace the vacation scheme with a new scheme and would contact us in a few weeks, months went by. Eventually they contacted asking for us to provide extra information about ourselves and tell them what we would want to gain from a remote scheme. I filled out all the forms, and sent through extra answers and we never heard back after that.
I spoke to some people who were offered 2020 start TCs with the firm and they still haven't started and the firm hasn't told them when/if they want them to start.
The firm are still recruiting for their vacation scheme this year though - despite not tell us what, if anything, is happening with ours.
The market needs information to assess the real value of assets and exercise its disciplinary mechanism.

Once you hear back, and you feel it is safe for you to do so, please give us some more information. Till then, best of luck!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
I think it's the firms where I spent so much time investing like going to their open days, interacting with them at the fair, put so much effort into my applications, got applications reviewed etc only to be rejected in the application cycle. Not that they have to accept me just for meeting them, it's just I wouldn't know how else to improve the next time!
I feel this so strongly. I have one firm that I have been to four open days with, won an essay competition for and spent a day there, various online events etc etc. I've applied for a vacation scheme with them six times and been PFO'd every time. I meet all their minimum academic requirements. I had so many people who work for them look at my answers. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
After my fifth PFO, I emailed and said that although I appreciate they don't offer feedback at the application stage, they're my dream firm, I've had so much interaction with them and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I asked them to clarify whether the issue with my application is something I can improve on/change or if it's something that is what it is (like my A Levels or something). They simply reiterated that they don't provide feedback.
Like, fine. I'll keep wasting my time and their time with my applications. It honestly stings like a toxic ex that you just can't keep away from sometimes.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
Weird question, but I'm intrigued to know if anyone has been put off applying to a firm after what they have experienced with the firm this cycle?
Spending ages investing my time and effort for the VS and TC interview to then find out that out of the 20 of us on the scheme there was 1 TC position. Wish I had known before hand but they don’t disclose numbers like that

CF

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Rejection from Reed Smith Spring Scheme too (post research questions)

Sad Feelings GIF

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I think it's the firms where I spent so much time investing like going to their open days, interacting with them at the fair, put so much effort into my applications, got applications reviewed etc only to be rejected in the application cycle. Not that they have to accept me just for meeting them, it's just I wouldn't know how else to improve the next time!
    Yeah, I feel this. I got to AC last year with two big firms and I don’t know how. I love the firms but it very much felt like fluke. This year, lockdown has meant I have attended so many events, really learned more about firms and commercial law, and I’m not getting anywhere. I don’t know how to improve or what to do now.

Taylah

Feb 2, 2021
    Hi! I did the Vac Scheme last year and honestly Gowling are so chill and friendly (I’ve reapplied so have an AC too). I’d say basically brush up on competency Qs and examples you can draw on from your life and achievements, and basically just relax and be yourself. Also obviously know the firm and know a bit of what’s going on in business. Last year i don’t think they asked me specifically about the firm but it’s always useful to know! Hope this helps😊
    Thank you! I feel ok about competency Qs but also feel my structure for 'why X' Qs are not that great! All the best for your AC!

ab1147

Esteemed Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Weird question, but I'm intrigued to know if anyone has been put off applying to a firm after what they have experienced with the firm this cycle?
    Was put off by a firm who apparently said during a careers fair that we shouldn't bother applying if we have any module grades below a 2:1, no matter the overall degree result!

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    I was really put off a firm by how they handled the whole Covid-19 situation. I had a vacation scheme all set up and then they cancelled it and then told us they're not considered us for a TC, said they would replace the vacation scheme with a new scheme and would contact us in a few weeks, months went by. Eventually they contacted asking for us to provide extra information about ourselves and tell them what we would want to gain from a remote scheme. I filled out all the forms, and sent through extra answers and we never heard back after that.
    I spoke to some people who were offered 2020 start TCs with the firm and they still haven't started and the firm hasn't told them when/if they want them to start.
    The firm are still recruiting for their vacation scheme this year though - despite not tell us what, if anything, is happening with ours.
    sounds awful. what firm is this?

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Was put off by a firm who apparently said during a careers fair that we shouldn't bother applying if we have any module grades below a 2:1, no matter the overall degree result!

Firms that are hardline on sending PFOs if you don't have AAB, rather ABB for instance, despite candidates having got a 2:1, passed the LPC and worked for a couple years baffle me

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    I probably shouldn't name them publicly but it was a magic circle firm! understandable because of prestige, but surely lots of people have a module here and there where they may have slipped
    Ahhh I can probably guess which one then! Tbf this firm are pretty vocal about consistently good module grades haha

Reactions: ab01 and ab1147

leolegal

Distinguished Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    Hi! I was wondering whether anyone was still waiting on HSF for the summer vac scheme? I completed the test back in Nov/Dec and I've seen a few people getting rejections, ACs etc, and I swear I even saw someone on linkedin already get a place on the vac scheme?
    I'm still waiting! Applied on the deadline, did the test a few days later and haven't heard back. I checked the portal and mine still says under review so I have no clue

Reactions: lildumpling and bzheng
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.