2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
CMS Academy offer!! Honestly in total shock because I thought the AC had gone terribly. Thank you so much to everyone at TCLA (including the lovely and encouraging people on this forum) for literally being the reason that I kept pushing through applications and interviews and still have (some of) my sanity left.
When did you complete your VI?

Pierre343

Standard Member
Feb 4, 2021
Hi everyone!

I got completely rejected from everything last year and so didn't expect much this year but got really lucky with some apps and now dont know what to do!

I have a TC offer from a winter vac scheme with Hogan Lovells and a spring vac offer from Baker Mckenzie and NRF. Is there a difference between these and which one should I choose? I'm not from the UK so Id like to know which would give me the best career options really?

Thank you!

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
What a week lol. VS offers from CMS/Bakers/WFW/Dentons (and DLA Piper two weeks ago). Quite a change from the last cycle when I had 6 ACs with no offers.

If anyone wants tips for the ACs/to connect before them then please feel free to DM me :)

This is actually incredible, congratulations!!!

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what did you do differently this cycle that you believe was fundamental to your success?

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Totally understand if you'd rather not share, but how on earth was that allowed happen...?!?!?

Edit: just seen your later post, like did they literally question the validity of your disability? If so I am so sorry that you had to deal with that 😩 but very happy to hear your experience with other firms has been much more positive :)
    Yeah I don't wanna go into the details but it wasn't fun - questioning things they shouldn't and suggesting things they shouldn't.

All I am saying is the partner interview I had for the Vac Scheme I secured was a delight and my interviewer was so supportive of my achievements and journey. I left smiling - and that's when you know when a firm celebrates you.

Last edited:

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Another day, another empty inbox
    Over It Eye Roll GIF

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I got completely rejected from everything last year and so didn't expect much this year but got really lucky with some apps and now dont know what to do!

I have a TC offer from a winter vac scheme with Hogan Lovells and a spring vac offer from Baker Mckenzie and NRF. Is there a difference between these and which one should I choose? I'm not from the UK so Id like to know which would give me the best career options really?

Thank you!
    Congratulations! I unfortunately don't have any advice for you as I'm in a similar position to where you were last year...would you mind sharing what you did differently this year? Thanks :)

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    If you get asked a commercial awareness Q you honestly have no idea about, what would you say is the best way to respond?
    "From my undestanding, I believe...." and then give it a try - not trying is a nono imo. "However, this is a topic I am no familiar with and I would appreciate your guidance so I can learn more" seemed to work for me.

packhorse

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Wow
    Hi everyone!

Thank you!
    Huge congratulations! Out of interest when did you do your AC? I thought they were getting back to everyone on Friday at the earliest !

Pierre343

Standard Member
    Feb 4, 2021
    Congratulations! I unfortunately don't have any advice for you as I'm in a similar position to where you were last year...would you mind sharing what you did differently this year? Thanks :)
    Hey Kubed! I have to admit, I found the rejection super hard last year, and was very unmotivated to try again but glad I did, so definitely just apply again if its what you want.

I think what helped this year was attending one or two events prior to applying. So for Hogan I met them at a legal cheek online event before applying and asked a question or two, and for Baker I attended one of their open days which definitely helped. In my feedback call, the partners specifically said the fact that I could point to a conversation with a trainee at the open day about his work within BakerMckenzie as one of my reasons for why baker was very helpful.

And the second thing I'd say for me was trying to include at least a couple of researched points about a firm in the apps (which i did little of first time around), and like its not like I had entirely distinct reasons for why this firm, some points were pretty generic but definitely having one or two that is unique to that firm helped me I feel.

Hope that helps a little and best of luck with apps!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Kubed and packhorse

Pierre343

Standard Member
    Feb 4, 2021
    Wow

Huge congratulations! Out of interest when did you do your AC? I thought they were getting back to everyone on Friday at the earliest !

Ah thank you! Definitely a surprise

Bakers was the 29th Jan for my AC and got the call yesterday but for NRF it was actually a Winter Vac Scheme offer that I asked to defer to Spring because I had HL's scheme at the same time

• ℹ️
    Reactions: packhorse

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I do wonder though, whether it is possible for this to be on purpose in order for them to gauge the candidate’s reaction to being provoked or being faced with rudeness? Something similar happened to me awhile ago and it felt as if it was testing me on how I would react.
    Nah, unfortunately my interviewer was just thoroughly unpleasant. I dare say that yours is the response I would get if I pushed the issue but it would be a pretty poor excuse. One of those things, I picked myself up and accepted it, then went on to smash 2 VSs and a TC so didn't let it hold me back/ knock me too bad 🤷‍♂️

I've also done enough interviews to know that this isn't a normal approach :)

Last edited:

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Nah, unfortunately my interviewer was just thoroughly unpleasant. I dare say that yours is the response I would get if I pushed the issue but it would be a pretty poor excuse. One of those things, I picked myself up and accepted it, then went on to smash 2 VSs and a TC so didn't let it hold me back/ knock me too bad 🤷‍♂️

I am sorry you had such a terrible experience.
    I just would prefer to assume that, at least in my case, it was done to gauge my reaction. I was very flustered indeed.
    It will be horrible to think that interviewers can be this terrible to candidates and that this is happening more often.
    Just really wish such instanced didn't happen.

Well done to you for not allowing this to faze you and landing a TC!

Reactions: Jaysen and cmaj

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    Post AC rejections from DLA Piper, Macfarlanes, and HSF all in the last week, alongside 5 in various stages from app to VI. Down to my last few applications and not feeling too confident.

Definitely some of the toughest days I have had in the last 2 recruitment cycles. I had prepped for weeks and honestly thought some of the interviews went well. Hopefully better news will soon come.

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back from firms and with AC's coming up!

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Weird question, but I'm intrigued to know if anyone has been put off applying to a firm after what they have experienced with the firm this cycle?

I applied for a TC with a firm a few years ago and in my AC feedback, the partner said I talked too much about my dissertation on a particular subject (in reality, I had brought up my dissertation once and it was about a completely different subject) and about my experience in the 'cycling society' (I'd mentioned my experience in a totally different sports club). It was insane. Granted, I was definitely too inexperienced for a TC interview with that particular firm, but he also finished the interview 10 minutes early and then left me sat in a random room on my own for 10 mins until the grad rec team arrived. I would NEVER apply to that firm again!

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Post AC rejections from DLA Piper, Macfarlanes, and HSF all in the last week, alongside 5 in various stages from app to VI. Down to my last few applications and not feeling too confident.

Definitely some of the toughest days I have had in the last 2 recruitment cycles. I had prepped for weeks and honestly thought some of the interviews went well. Hopefully better news will soon come.

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back from firms and with AC's coming up!
    : ( really wishing for the last few apps to bring you better news.

Reactions: M&ALawyer
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.