2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Just realised I got a Hogan Lovells AC invite yesterday but my email filtered it out. The email says to choose the earliest slot possible because they recruit on a rolling basis but when I clicked on the link, the earliest one they had was March 2.

Anyone know when their ACs start/started?
    Don't panic about something you cannot change. Focus on what matters now: prep.

Congrats!

• 🤝
    Reactions: ab01 and MZ

topsawyer

Nov 12, 2020
    Just realised I got a Hogan Lovells AC invite yesterday but my email filtered it out. The email says to choose the earliest slot possible because they recruit on a rolling basis but when I clicked on the link, the earliest one they had was March 2.

Anyone know when their ACs start/started?
    Hi! Congrats on the AC invite, they started on the 14th of Jan (2 AC slots per week since then), but it goes on till March 16th so they're very likely to have enough spaces available at the March 2nd AC, so as @Celestie said don't worry too much about it!

Reactions: MZ

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey does anyone know of any good resources where I can find firms' deals in which they worked against their competitors?

Unfortunately detailed information on things like this is usually pretty hard to find without a premium subscription to sites like The Lawyer. Your best bet would be to start with The Legal 500 rankings, make a note of any notable deals that the firm has worked on and then do a quick search on Google to see if you can find additional information on the other firms in the deal.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Unfortunately detailed information on things like this is usually pretty hard to find without a premium subscription to sites like The Lawyer. Your best bet would be to start with The Legal 500 rankings, make a note of any notable deals that the firm has worked on and then do a quick search on Google to see if you can find additional information on the other firms in the deal.
    Second that. I usually find a firm's deals off their website, then google something like 'ABC acquisition XYZ lawyers' and generally something will come up that names the major firms involved.

• 🤝
    Reactions: cmaj, Dheepa and Luiz1001

ishikam

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    Seeing W&C give out VIs today while my inbox is empty, should I assume a PFO?
    I wouldn't assume that just yet because they are sending them in batches based on when you applied. From what I've seen on the forum they sent them last Friday for the earlier spring VS apps and last night for those who applied closer to the deadline.

I assume summer will be either this week or after the ACs for spring vac schemes are completed.

Reactions: ab01

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    If the deal involves listed companies there will also be a lot more information made available. Check the wires/rns etc for releases.

Reactions: Dheepa and Rob93

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    what does Baker Mck look for?

If you haven't already done so I'd highly recommend looking at their GR website. I think it's one of the more helpful ones out there in terms of providing information you can use in your app. Other than that, from having been through their recruitment process myself, I'd say demonstrating a real passion for diversity is hugely important. Don't just think of this in terms of representation in the profession, but really ask yourself what is it about being around people from completely different backgrounds that excites you?

Reactions: Mena M

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Got two PFOs today and at this point, I'm just very grateful to have progressed into the test and interview stage especially with it being my first official application cycle! Although disappointing, it really provides me with crucial experience for the next (and hopefully last) application cycle! On that note, I was just wondering what are the plans (or were) for third-year international students who are desperately on that visa time crunch! Would love to hear about your experiences :)

Hey,

So I really sympathise with you on this - that visa time crunch kept me up so many nights. Since you're graduating this summer you'd get the post-study work visa route for two years but I'm also very aware that not everyone has the money to stick around in London for that additional time and I'm also not entirely sure how easy it will be to secure a job that does pay enough for those additional two years. Dealing with the thought of going home is super rough especially if it's the last place you want to be but, I know a lot of people who have returned home and are still applying to direct TCs while working at firms here. One of them has an upcoming VS with a London firm, so really don't give up. It's tougher and being further away can make securing the TC seem like even more of a pipe dream, but it is still very possible!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If a law firm asks you where else you applied is it okay to mention that you applied to their competitors? I don’t know if that will look bad
    That’s fine - not an issue at all. Would be common for competitors to come up in such a question. It’s much more how you explain why you have applied to firms rather than the names themselves

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If a law firm asks you where else you applied is it okay to mention that you applied to their competitors? I don’t know if that will look bad

Completely fine to mention competitors. I tend to think part of the reason firms ask that question is to make sure that you've really thought about the kind of work you want to be doing and that your motivations in that respect are consistent. So mentioning competitors with the firm in certain areas may even be a good thing. Just ensure that you delve into why the firm you're applying to is still stronger than its competitors to drive home that they still are your top choice firm

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.