Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Friends, a question.

One of my applications is asking me to discuss "something many people don't know about me." I'm sort of unclear how to approach this. At first, I thought maybe I should talk about my struggles growing up as a RAGING HOMOSEXUAL in a largely conservative family. But I worry that might actually be too "personal." This leads me to ask: how personal can we get here? The whole "tell us something people don't about you" seems like it gives us space to do so. I'm just worried it'll seem unprofessional to speak about such a personal experience. @Jessica Booker do you know if this is something recruitment teams find off-putting?
    I would personally consider this a perfectly acceptable answer as long as you're comfortable with being 'out' in that environment :)

I would personally link this to any LGBT+ efforts that the firm has made in D&I to add another dimension to why you want to be with them!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Friends, a question.

One of my applications is asking me to discuss "something many people don't know about me." I'm sort of unclear how to approach this. At first, I thought maybe I should talk about my struggles growing up as a RAGING HOMOSEXUAL in a largely conservative family. But I worry that might actually be too "personal." This leads me to ask: how personal can we get here? The whole "tell us something people don't about you" seems like it gives us space to do so. I'm just worried it'll seem unprofessional to speak about such a personal experience. @Jessica Booker do you know if this is something recruitment teams find off-putting?
    Can I just say I love u

• Love
    Reactions: MD, FC and Adrian_S

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Has anyone heard from Travers Smith for VS?
    I could be tripping but I think I saw a post in here the other night saying they were running a few weeks behind schedule and it would likely be end of this month. Hope this helps - please anyone do feel free to challenge me if I'm wrong here!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Sorry for being the bearer of bad news on this again!!

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF
    Not at all, thank you for flagging!

Reactions: KS94

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Friends, a question.

I think that it really depends on how you frame it. It could be a good way of you showing that you have resilience and/or discussing why diversity is important/matters to you. And it could be a way of linking why you're applying to that particular firm, such as if they're rated highly by Stonewall, etc. As a topic itself, I wouldn't say that it is unprofessional. Although admittedly I may be biased there.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Adrian_S

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    sitting here crying bc I got a VI for BCLP - I keep looking at the email to double check that I didn't just dream it up out of sheer willpower
    does ANYONE have any tips bc this is my first ever VI and BCLP are probably my favourite ever firm and I don't want to screw it up
    also, just wanna say thanks to everyone on here - I 100% used tips and advice from here in my app so thank you all ♥️

for those wondering - I applied on 28/01 so like 3 days before the deadline
    Hopefully this thread helps!

• Love
    Reactions: cryingoverTCs

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Where can we view these?

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hi everyone, hope you are all well! The status of one of my applications on cvmail is 'inbox' but I cannot find anything special in my inbox. I was wondering if I have to do anything with this 'inbox' status? Thanks in advance :)
    Hiya is that Ashurst? I might be completely wrong but I think it just means that it is in their inbox as mine updated to that as soon as I did the tests :)

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    I know this is the vac scheme thread and maybe I haven't paid close enough attention, but have people heard anything from direct TC apps to Freshfields? Like a Watson Glaser or AC
    Yes many have received WG tests in the past weeks, just waiting for responses now (this has been discussed in the direct TC thread so best keeping an eye there :) )

Reactions: JayC

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Guys, could I get a brutally honest opinion about the follow query:

I have an interview with Ashurst, and one of the reasons why I am applying to them is because of their strong Australian presence. My family is moving to Australia by the end of the year, and while I intend to stay in London for the next 3-10 years or so, having the option of eventually moving would be nice (which is why I find Ashurst so attractive as it would make the transition smoother). In a Vac Scheme interview, would it be appropriate to give this as a reason for applying? On one hand, it is probably one of the most personal and compelling reasons I can give. On the other hand, I don't want them to think of me as a 'temporary hire' who only sees them as a stepping stone to somewhere else.

What do you think?
    Hiya,

Congrats on your interview! ☺️

I think I agree with the latter comments. I would probably focus on your general interests in their Australian presence from a work & international perspective. Whilst movement may be possible upon qualification, I think its best not to lead with personal plans to move abroad as each office ideally is looking to retain their trainees. Thus, if you lead with your plans to move, it may suggest you don't have long term interests at the firm.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Kola

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Friends, a question.

@Jessica Booker knows where the boundaries lie for sure and always gives sound insights.

I would (as a 'friend', so addressed) suggest that you pick something you are comfortable to talk about with a complete stranger in a daunting situation. Think through whether this topic will present you in your best light. For instance, imagine that you were sent to chat with one of the school governors, or with the headteacher of a sixth form you wanted to get into. 16 yo you has to talk without getting angry, in a really analytical way, about what this has taught you about human nature. And (obv) it's wiser to stay away from 'raging'. If you are complete with that, and you can write movingly and enticingly, without it being an actual drama, then great. If you love writing and feel you could present your 'case' clearly, so a compelling story well told, great. But I think it would take some doing.

Your sexuality is part of you and always will be, and as such isn't unprofessional. But I suspect it would be difficult to use that particular part of yourself to showcase your skills as a future trainee on an application, unless you can naturally link it to something you need as a lawyer - an understanding of cultural expectations, or human rights, or development of the LGBTQ+ rights movement, for example. These are in no way meant to be comprehensive thoughts; more ideas to help you with something that must have been very painful and from which you have taken some really deep learning.

I wonder if you could approach it from the point of view of how it's helped you not to judge others, or how it's motivated you to get involved with pro bono support for some related issue? You could always draft a version, see how it feels and move on if you can't make it work. It might be really therapeutic and you could always use it at an interview.

I have to say I have literally no idea what I would put for that question! But there must be something...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.