2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gracey

Standard Member
Dec 19, 2020
Since CC has been transparent about recruiting this year - I'm talking priority candidates (penultimate year law and final year non-law);

Did anyone who was a non-priority candidate get invited to an AC at CC for the TC?
I did - I’m a penultimate year non-law student and was successful in securing a TC with CC. Although they have priority candidates, they do say that if your application is good enough they will find a way to consider you even if you don’t fall into the priority group. I know three other non-priority candidates (2/3 are postgrads) who were invited to CC’s AC for the TC as well, so they’re definitely not being discriminatory like I’ve seen people say.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I did - I’m a penultimate year non-law student and was successful in securing a TC with CC. Although they have priority candidates, they do say that if your application is good enough they will find a way to consider you even if you don’t fall into the priority group. I know three other non-priority candidates (2/3 are postgrads) who were invited to CC’s AC for the TC as well, so they’re definitely not being discriminatory like I’ve seen people say.
    Are you implying non-priority candidates’ applications need to be of a better standard than priority candidates?

Reactions: SF1234

Gracey

Standard Member
    Dec 19, 2020
    Are you implying non-priority candidates’ applications need to be of a better standard than priority candidates?
    No I’m not implying that at all, I wouldn’t know loool - all I said is if they are impressed by your application, they will find a way to progress you even if you’re not a priority candidate. It’s hard to say what a ‘better standard’ looks like anyway considering their application is based on your personal experiences with no commercial or motivational questions involved. Hope that helps! :)

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    No I’m not implying that at all, I wouldn’t know loool - all I said is if they are impressed by your application, they will find a way to progress you even if you’re not a priority candidate. It’s hard to say what a ‘better standard’ looks like anyway considering their application is based on your personal experiences with no commercial or motivational questions involved. Hope that helps! :)
    Well done in your progress! That's an amazing achievement and I have all my fingers crossed for you!!!🥳

On the topic in CC rectuitment:
    It doesn't sit well with me that they act as though they're doing you a favour by progressing a non-priroirty candidate who has a great application.

As I said in my original reply, I personally believe TCs should be open to all, rather than targeted.

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    i think unfortunately with any graduate career that pays as much as law does, there will be a huge influx of candidates, and I 100% think law is tending towards a similar process to investment banking where if you didn’t complete a spring week in first year you essentially have no chance...

• Wow
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    i think unfortunately with any graduate career that pays as much as law does, there will be a huge influx of candidates, and I 100% think law is tending towards a similar process to investment banking where if you didn’t complete a spring week in first year you essentially have no chance...

I'm not convinced by this. I do think more firms will want candidates to complete a vacation scheme, because it gives them more data points and requires more investment from candidates. I don't think many firms will adopt CC's approach of strict priority groups.

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
    Mar 21, 2020
    Does anyone know if it’s okay to change an AC slot via the applicant portal or should we still contact graduate recruitment first?

My AC is in a week and we were given a list of dates to select via Apply4Law. Unfortunately, an unforeseen family emergency has come up today and I might have to reschedule. The link they sent for AC slot selections is still valid and provides the opportunity to amend our slot (the original email also advised for us to select the slot by the 23rd of Feb). Would it be appropriate for me just to do so via the portal without contacting graduate recruitment first? Thanks.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    No. A lot of firms are not moving to the SQE until 2024 as far as I am aware.

Firms who sponsor the LPC will provide an equivalent sponsorship for the SQE, depending on how they are preferring to train people. Some people are learning on the job, some people are only doing SQE1 before a TC, some firms are saying you have to pass SQE 1 and 2 before starting a TC.
    So what will happen to those that have already done the LPC before applying to firms?

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Does anyone know if it’s okay to change an AC slot via the applicant portal or should we still contact graduate recruitment first?

My AC is in a week and we were given a list of dates to select via Apply4Law. Unfortunately, an unforeseen family emergency has come up today and I might have to reschedule. The link they sent for AC slot selections is still valid and provides the opportunity to amend our slot (the original email also advised for us to select the slot by the 23rd of Feb). Would it be appropriate for me just to do so via the portal without contacting graduate recruitment first? Thanks.
    So I had to change my AC also, I called GR and on the call they mentioned I could change it on the portal and did it for me so I think you can just change it but if you're worried you could always call GR and let them know (shouldn't be an issue as there are still other slots available)!

Reactions: TChopeful2021

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    This is not true - I have zero law experience, this is my first cycle as as a Non-Law student, and I had no idea about this process until August. I secured a VS about a month ago.

Though the trend of number of applicants is increasing, it is still super doable! Plus, law firms have more character imo than most IB banks, so you can choose places that fit you etc.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    So what will happen to those that have already done the LPC before applying to firms?
    I've done my LPC and I asked this and they said it won't impact your app because the SQE is only for new applicants- it's like the way firms say they don't really care what electives you take for the LPC if you've already completed it but if they sponsor you, they choose your electives.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cmaj and E.A

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    Shall I just give up now :D
    haha its definitely not at that stage now, as others have stated and from my own experience you can be so successful with no previous experience, so don’t let that get you down!! I just said it as an observation because thats the impression I have of where the recruitment process is heading but its definitely not concrete and theres a very big chance I could be wrong

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

I disagree. If you look at conversion rates following first year schemes for law firms, many people on first year schemes don't actually manage to secure vac schemes. You definitely still have a good chance. I didn't know the first thing about commercial law in first year, didn't do any open days let alone first year schemes, so I really wouldn't see that as a disadvantage in any way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.