2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer85

Sep 4, 2020
I cant speak for Cardiff and ULaw, but I'm currently doing my GDL at BPP and its going well so far! The careers service is really good at helping with applications and giving feedback, and they host a lot of fairs/firm events which have been useful :)
Thanks. I am doing my GDL at Cardiff, but really like all three for different reasons so have changed my mind so many times.

Reactions: ab1147

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
Willkie written exercise invite!

So far I have to say this has been a pretty smooth application process (I am touching a lot of wood here)! Gemma's been on the ball, marketed the scheme extremely well and there's a slot for me to do this written exercise after work.

Now I just need a desk... :(
Congrats! May I ask when you completed the VI?

KS94

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Has anyone got a direct email address for any of the people mentioned at Aspiring Solicitors?

I have tried to go with the standard <first name>.<last name> format but it doesn't appear to work!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I am interested in it, but I can't work out what it's for? They don't do TCs there so is the vacation scheme just for fun lol?

Last cycle, because the VS was virtual the Dubai VS students actually sat in on a lot of the presentations and talks the London office had organised. The work they did was different, think they did live work for the Dubai office. It’d probably be beneficial for applying to the London VS in the next cycle because I’d imagine your application would be a lot stronger from all the information you get on the London office.

Reactions: JayC

Maculay

Jan 31, 2020
    Don’t think the firm would view a VS at another firm badly. Really just displays that you’re a great candidate and well worth their time considering for the TC.

With regards to your second question, you can always accept a TC and renege at a later date if you get a TC offer from a firm you prefer better. Not recommending you do this but it happens and there’s no real consequence unless you have accepted financial aid from the firm that you’d need to repay if you renege.
    Thanks for your insight.

My concern is not so much on the reneging on the hypothetical TC offer as I am sure this happens all the times. But I wonder what happens when your VS firm asks that you not have accepted a TC offer whilst on their VS. A bridge to cross when it happens but curious what would happen given you never know what you might get a TC offer especially considering the often tight timelines for making a firm decision.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Thanks for your insight.

My concern is not so much on the reneging on the hypothetical TC offer as I am sure this happens all the times. But I wonder what happens when your VS firm asks that you not have accepted a TC offer whilst on their VS. A bridge to cross when it happens but curious what would happen given you never know what you might get a TC offer especially considering the often tight timelines for making a firm decision.

Sorry for misunderstanding your original question! In my experience, firms are usually very understanding about extending offers while you wait to do a VS or hear from other firms. But I actually think the “accepted a TC offer but still doing a VS” scenario also happens incredibly often (despite what it says on the offer letter). I think @Jessica Booker will be able to give a more concrete answer though.

CalibreX1

Star Member
    Jan 29, 2020
    Just received a video interview invite from Hill Dickinson (post WG, London).
    Confused as I thought that after the test stage came the assessment centre.
    They've also made me book a slot for my video interview which is unusual. Is it a real person-to-person interview as opposed to an automated one? Does anyone have more information about this?
    Thanks!

AY

Mar 2, 2020
    Just received a video interview invite from Hill Dickinson (post WG, London).
    Confused as I thought that after the test stage came the assessment centre.
    They've also made me book a slot for my video interview which is unusual. Does anyone have more information about this?
    Thanks!
    Is it a video interview, or an actual live interview? Quite confused as well...

Reactions: CalibreX1

VivianeS

Dec 25, 2020
    Last cycle, because the VS was virtual the Dubai VS students actually sat in on a lot of the presentations and talks the London office had organised. The work they did was different, think they did live work for the Dubai office. It’d probably be beneficial for applying to the London VS in the next cycle because I’d imagine your application would be a lot stronger from all the information you get on the London office.
    Can you apply if you've already applied for the London VS but was rejected?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.