2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Do people find it annoying/boastful when someone posts an offer? I assumed everyone did and after seeing people on Linkedin post theirs I did the same. Now I'm worried haha
    Some people probably do, but who cares what they think. If someone has achieved something pertinent to their future career, its pretty expected that they post it on a career focused social network.

However, I have definitely side eyed a few that are effectively a dissertations worth of thanks and gratitude and explaining in excruitiating detail how humbled they are by the opportunity. Just seems a bit excessive.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    I mean, I don't really care but I just don't like posting too much online personally.

No, not really. THere's literally nothing wrong with celebrating your own achievements.

Joking aside, no I don't. It's an achievement, you worked hard, and you should absolutely be proud of it! I think belittling somebody for celebrating their success is pretty negative and bitter.

Some people probably do, but who cares what they think. If someone has achieved something pertinent to their future career, its pretty expected that they post it on a career focused social network.

However, I have definitely side eyed a few that are effectively a dissertations worth of thanks and gratitude and explaining in excruitiating detail how humbled they are by the opportunity. Just seems a bit excessive.
    Thanks guys! Its interesting to hear peoples thoughts on this :)
    Note to self: no long excruciating thank you messages or I will be judged hahah

r14n

Jan 30, 2019
    Hi everyone, just wanted a bit of advice.

I am currently waiting on replies from 3 firms (Latham, W&C, and Cooley) for their vac scheme (all post app). However, I was recently offered a full time internship which would commence in June and thus clash with their vac scheme dates. Would it be okay to email the firms and ask for a response? I need to respond to my internship offer by the 24th feb latest.
    Best thing would be to wait for their reply.

Once you receive a positive reply/offer, let them know of this and I am sure they can accommodate you to a later date.

Reactions: NA27

Abgaal

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 24, 2019
    Am I the only one thinking that law firms are taking so long to respond this cycle compared to last.... like its honestly killing me looooooool.. still haven't heard back from these firms

White Cast TC (2022) Post Video Interview (October 20th) **4 months lol)
    Cleary VS post app (11th October)
    Kirkland VS post app (10th October)
    Gibson Dunn VS post app (23rd Dec)
    Freshfields TC Post WG (22nd Jan)
    Hogan Lovells TC Post WG (Submitted 11th Jan)
    Macfarlanes TC Post App (14th October)
    Mishcon VS Post Video (22nd Jan)

Jason S

Distinguished Member
    Apr 3, 2020
    Do people find it annoying/boastful when someone posts an offer? I assumed everyone did and after seeing people on Linkedin post theirs I did the same. Now I'm worried haha
    No, it’s a huge achievement and people are going to be happy about it.

However, I’ve always found it funny when every post makes a point to publicly thank a long list of people. If I got a VS/TC offer and wanted to thank GR or my friends I’d just email/message them personally to say thanks! I don’t use LinkedIn much so perhaps it’s just etiquette that I don’t understand.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    No, it’s a huge achievement and people are going to be happy about it.

However, I’ve always found it funny when every post makes a point to publicly thank a long list of people. If I got a VS/TC offer and wanted to thank GR or my friends I’d just email/message them personally to say thanks! I don’t use LinkedIn much so perhaps it’s just etiquette that I don’t understand.
    I like it tbh.. inspiring for me to read as I haven’t secured a Tc yet

Reactions: collie_121

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Am I the only one thinking that law firms are taking so long to respond this cycle compared to last.... like its honestly killing me looooooool.. still haven't heard back from these firms

White Cast TC (2022) Post Video Interview (October 20th) **4 months lol)
    Cleary VS post app (11th October)
    Kirkland VS post app (10th October)
    Gibson Dunn VS post app (23rd Dec)
    Freshfields TC Post WG (22nd Jan)
    Hogan Lovells TC Post WG (Submitted 11th Jan)
    Macfarlanes TC Post App (14th October)
    Mishcon VS Post Video (22nd Jan)

I think Macfarlanes are prioritising vacation schemes right now and people are still waiting for their vacation scheme. But email them just in case if you want to find out.

Also, law firms are taking too long I think that is because of the pandemic application demand has gone up as Jessica said yesterday.

I think the firms that are the best at getting back quickly are Cooley as they went through all of the applications in 2 weeks and will get back to me next week where Travers Smith take ages. I am saying this because I think the demand for US firms is higher but I could be wrong.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Don’t be worried. If I’m having a bad day and I see a post I will roll my eyes but that’s me being ridiculously bitter and jealous- I admit it! If you’re proud of an achievement there’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t post it... it is an achievement to get a VS/TC especially this year!! :)

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

Oh, I absolutely intend on thanking the lady with blond hair who passed me in the corridor and the bloke who stood next to me in the urinal. Afterall, it's a team effort. 😁

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.