2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
Oct 15, 2020
for all those who applied to Ropes & Gray, there was only one application on the three strategies you would suggest as Chairperson, and no other questions on academics or extra curriculars right? I submitted my application quite early and I know that they changed their recruiting website way after I submitted my app so just wanted to make sure !

AAA_a

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 14, 2019
for all those who applied to Ropes & Gray, there was only one application on the three strategies you would suggest as Chairperson, and no other questions on academics or extra curriculars right? I submitted my application quite early and I know that they changed their recruiting website way after I submitted my app so just wanted to make sure !
Yes and if I remember correctly, not even a section for employment.

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
I remember that too! Found that quite strange as it would be very unnatural and unfitting to try and incorporate extracurriculars and work experience into the single application question they had
I didn't -really regret it now but was kinda taking it for granted that I must have filled the section (was in a bit of an app heavy period lol)

tk166

Esteemed Member
Jul 17, 2020
Yes and if I remember correctly, not even a section for employment.
tbf I think ropes is one of the SEO London sponsor firms that progress you straight to AC if you did well on their SEO London events which shoes they’re huge in diversity and inclusion and I think by having only that written answer to assess applicants they’re able to completely eliminate these factors from their application process, sort of like CV blind ACs but for application

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me?

I'm a non-law grad & trying to secure a training contract for 2023. I can't afford to pay for the GDL/LPC so hoping to get one this year so I can be sponsored by a firm. Terrified that if I don't get one this year I'll have to take the SQE (which I really don't want to do) because I won't be able to start the GDL before 31 Dec 2021.

Can anyone give me advice on loans for the GDL or anything else? Thank you!!
    Omg I've been in the same boat as you for two years now and these are my exact thoughts! I posted a thread about it here https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/gdl-vs-sqe.2543/ and I attended some ULaw/BPP events last year. I came to the conclusion that whatever is meant to be will be and I didn't want to be saddled with more debt for a potentially redundant qualification - you could self-fund the GDL this year and then get a TC with a firm that has already implemented the SQE route. You can get private funding for the GDL/LPC from companies like Future Finance but to me, this was much riskier than the post-grad loan route. There are scholarships available at BPP/ULaw but I wouldn't be best placed to advise on these. I would say try not to stress about it and put your efforts into building experience/the best possible applications. If you do want to talk through your situation with someone that understands your dilemma, drop me a message!!!

I have an utterly stupid and pedantic question that has been playing on my mind. Upon accepting a vacation scheme offer, would a firm perceive me badly if I did not post this on LinkedIn. I'm not fond of posting on LinkedIn for a few reasons and generally don't do so.

I know it's highly unlikely the firm would be stalking my LinkedIn page but I was just wondering since most people do tend to post their acceptances.
    I always worry about this! As a graduate in a client-facing role in another industry, I absolutely cannot post any of any success in another career path LOL. I probably wouldn't though anyway, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. To echo what everybody has said about, if you do want to do it then keep it succinct. From experience, I have known staff within my company to gossip about interns that have posted crazy long gushing paragraphs!
    Cannot recommend AS highly enough. If you fall within their requirements - register. I got invited to random events which gave me great exposure to firms. I was also on this years Aspire programme - if you can, apply for it as well (sometime in the Summer). Any of the success I have had this cycle is due to that programme, and it has given me so much advice that I can apply to other applications.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you get notified about these? I've been an AS member for years and I've done nothing with them! All the events I see them advertise are limited to specific groups and those to which I did apply in the past, I was rejected

• Love
    Reactions: ofm

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
    Oct 15, 2020
    tbf I think ropes is one of the SEO London sponsor firms that progress you straight to AC if you did well on their SEO London events which shoes they’re huge in diversity and inclusion and I think by having only that written answer to assess applicants they’re able to completely eliminate these factors from their application process, sort of like CV blind ACs but for application
    That's really good to hear! I would have expected them to at least ask for some sort of university extra-curricular activities or any type of competency check in the online application stage

Reactions: tk166

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Omggg that's a Slaughters vac scheme offer! Thank you to everyone here, including Jessica who gave such helpful feedback for my cover letter and Jaysen who started this whole thing, and made my first foray into law applications less stressful, and seemingly successful!!!

Good luck to everyone else on their applications!!!
    Amazing, well done you!

Reactions: SF1234 and Jxmxs00

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hello all so sorry that for this self-promo but this is the most chatty thread, could anyone respond to my other thread if they have any experience thank you all it is a long held concern of mine

Reactions: OB

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    That's really good to hear! I would have expected them to at least ask for some sort of university extra-curricular activities or any type of competency check in the online application stage
    I mean if you think about it extracurriculars are also discriminatory. I’m at Oxbridge and I can 100% tell you that I have more access to extracurriculars than others at RG unis let alone non-RG unis, because of the college system its a lot less daunting to get involved/start ur own society, so eliminating that from the application process makes complete sense in my opinion. At the end of the day I believe graduate recruiting should be mostly based on motivation because if you have the motivation you can learn to do any job so by introducing extracurriculars ur adding a skills-based need which many can’t have access to/have difficulty accessing because of situations outside of their control

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Reed smith I sent my research answers on Sunday and complete silence from dechert!

For those wondering if Dechert has sent out VIs:

- they have sent out VIs since the start of Jan
    - they've had at least 2 ACs so far

It seems to be quite staggered, so I think they're recruiting in batches. I did my VI last week, and applied on the deadline.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.