Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I'm asked a question in an interview that I'm a little unsure of, is it better to ask for a bit of time to think about the question? Rather than spurt out anything that comes to mind 🤣 I feel as if the first option seems more feasible but at the same time would your interviewers think this shows you're unprepared?
Your interviewers will probably think better of you for taking some time to think about it.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Haz

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    I always go for can I have a minute to think, then start your answer with ‘I’m not sure...’ or ‘I’m not really familiar with this topic...’ and then add a ‘but...’ and rephrase the question so you can logically think about it. I think with these questions its more how you compose yourself under pressure more than the answer itself that is important. They want to know you can handle yourself if a client asks a question you don’t know the answer to

Your interviews will probably think better of you for taking some time to think about it.
    Thank you both very much 😅

Reactions: tk166

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    If I'm asked a question in an interview that I'm a little unsure of, is it better to ask for a bit of time to think about the question? Rather than spurt out anything that comes to mind 🤣 I feel as if the first option seems more feasible but at the same time would your interviewers think this shows you're unprepared?
    I’ve previously asked them to repeat the question and they usually re-worded it at the same time which helps!

Reactions: cmaj and Haz

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    It's best to be honest with them. Never try to blag your way through the question if you're unsure but always do give it a go. I often say to them "I'm unsure about this question, would you prefer that I take a minute to think through my answer or would you rather I think out loud?" and usually they say they'd rather me think out loud. If I go off track, I make sure to ask them to repeat the question to make sure I'm answering it. Then at the end, I'll give a conclusion/summary to overview my points and provide some structure :)

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Has anyone not heard back from DLA Piper yet? I’ve read that they’re having problems with gmail accounts, but my status on application portal hasn’t updated- shows the date I completed my WG back in December. Not sure if I should email them?

Had the same issue and they kindly confirmed my PFO haha.

Email them and rip the plaster off!

• Haha
    Reactions: Numerius Negidius

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I’d probably just put an incoming vac scheme/ Tc on my LinkedIn, but won’t write some long motivational monologue about it. But that’s just me 😂
    Erm I'm pretty sure that not posting your VS offer on LinkedIn is illegal.
    Just to add my 2 cents on this. Personally, I find some of the long LinkedIn posts incredibly cringeworthy and self-aggrandising to the point where they are almost nauseating. Recently, I saw someone post how they were thrilled to have had the opportunity to APPLY for a vac scheme and I nearly lost it I won't lie 😂

Fair enough if you have overcome a lot of challenging circumstances that life has thrown at you to get a vac scheme or a TC in which case, by all means, be proud of your achievement and shout about as, in my opinion, you have more than earned the right to!

However, if you were fortunate to grow up in a relatively privileged position with family contacts/school network etc. (you guys know where I'm going with this) then personally I think those posts can be so over-the-top and completely unnecessary and make you across as a bit of a t**t to be honest but that's just me.

I was much more inclined to just do the more subtle job update for that very reason as I have been very lucky to have had certain opportunities which is why I really enjoy trying to give back and help/pass on the knowledge I've gained to those who have not been as lucky as I was - it's definitely a big part of the reason why I love answering queries and being a part of TCLA :)

Apologies for the semi-rant but seeing all these posts on LinkedIn annoys me especially when I know how difficult and dispiriting it can be for candidates who are striving for VS and TC places to see them constantly on their feed... anyway, obviously, people can do what they want but I think there's a reason why those posts are often such good material for legal meme pages such as Slaughtered and Dismayed, CityLawBois etc... ;)

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Omggg that's a Slaughters vac scheme offer! Thank you to everyone here, including Jessica who gave such helpful feedback for my cover letter and Jaysen who started this whole thing, and made my first foray into law applications less stressful, and seemingly successful!!!

Good luck to everyone else on their applications!!!
    Many congrats - hope you are able to celebrate properly :D

Reactions: Jxmxs00

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thanks so much! Have loved seeing your posts on here and found them really helpful. French crepes and a nice sunset walk to celebrate for me :)
    I can say without hesitation that this is a far more civilised/ restrained celebration than I had when I got my TC phone call... I was suffering for about 3 days afterwards (not great as I was also in the middle of a house move lol). In all fairness, it was a joint celebration for me and my better half both securing TCs within a few weeks of each other!

Sounds lovely, though. Love crepes! Many congrats on securing the VS.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I can say without hesitation that this is a far more civilised/ restrained celebration than I had when I got my TC phone call... I was suffering for about 3 days afterwards (not great as I was also in the middle of a house move lol). In all fairness, it was a joint celebration for me and my better half both securing TCs within a few weeks of each other!

Sounds lovely, though. Love crepes! Many congrats on securing the VS.
    Think my liver is still recovering from the celebrations I had ngl 😂😂😂

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.