2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hey Folks,

Did anyone get an email after completing the Watson Glaser for NRF about some survey and then another test link. When I opened the test link, it said in RED "This form has already been completed - thank you for your time.". Therefore, should I assume that they have received my WG results.

Last edited:

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Sorry if this is silly- but is the strengths assessment for Reed Smith the research questions ? And u can log in and out to finish it over the course of 5 days?
    There's a situational strengths test (basically you're given 8 scenarios, and 5 different ways of dealing with that scenario, then you rank them in order). If you pass the SST, you get sent the research questions (of which you get 5 days to type them up and send them back to RS!)

Reactions: jd3447

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Osborne Clarke AC - for their Bristol office! :D Does anyone have any tips, super grateful for any?!
    Begin Helms Deep GIF

(congrats!)

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    I would say US firms because they tend to have smaller trainee intake compared to MC firms.

I would say, without a doubt, US firms.
    • MC take 50-100 trainees each year, meaning a bunch of VS on offer.
    • US firms have less people applying as some are less well known, but this is changing and they all still receive 1000+ applications (with some receiving 2000 or 3000) so it's negligible e.g. Cooley said they received 67% more applications this year.
    • US firms seem to care less about social mobility, and thus have higher entry requirements (AAB-AAA and strong 2:1s needed for many). If you go on Legal Cheek, they also heavily recruit from Oxbridge so make of that what you will. When you apply, you're basically competing with some very strong competition.
    • US firms also seem to have a few subtle niche conventions in place. For example, Ropes & Gray seem to prefer hiring older applicants who have worked elsewhere or have prior experience in the job market. Cooley seems to be after people who have had interesting experiences in the past which many 20 year old wont. Kirkland judge your VS application with the view of making you partner one day, so the threshold for entry is much higher. These internal preferences and obstacles just aren't there when you apply to the MC.
    At the end of the day, both are insanely difficult to secure a VS at, and its a huge accomplishment to succeed in getting one, but I am personally inclined to say that the journey is slightly more difficult, less transparent and more competitive for people who have managed to secure VS at US firms.

Chloe L

Valued Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    I would say, without a doubt, US firms.
    • MC take 50-100 trainees each year, meaning a bunch of VS on offer.
    • US firms have less people applying as some are less well known, but this is changing and they all still receive 1000+ applications (with some receiving 2000 or 3000) so it's negligible e.g. Cooley said they received 67% more applications this year.
    • US firms seem to care less about social mobility, and thus have higher entry requirements (AAB-AAA and strong 2:1s needed for many). If you go on Legal Cheek, they also heavily recruit from Oxbridge so make of that what you will. When you apply, you're basically competing with some very strong competition.
    • US firms also seem to have a few subtle niche conventions in place. For example, Ropes & Gray seem to prefer hiring older applicants who have worked elsewhere or have prior experience in the job market. Cooley seems to be after people who have had interesting experiences in the past which many 20 year old wont. These internal preferences and obstacles just aren't there when you apply to the MC.
    At the end of the day, both are insanely difficult to secure a VS at, and its a huge accomplishment to succeed in getting one, but I am personally inclined to say that the journey is slightly more difficult, less transparent and more competitive for people who have managed to secure VS at US firms.
    This is really interesting......wish I had this kind of insight before the cycle started

Reactions: Kola

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I have not heard back. I got an email from them stating that they received a lot of applications and that they will get back to us as soon as they can
    That’s so weird I didn’t even get this - do you think I should email them to double check they actually received my answers? Just bc I saw on here that someone else found out that their answers were never received by AS/DWF

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.