2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellwilsen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2020
This is probably a silly question but I applied to W&C in October for their VS and added additional info a few weeks ago, I put spring as my 1st choice & summer as my 2nd but haven’t heard anything at all from them. Guessing it’s safe to assume it’s a pfo but is it worth holding on in case I could be progressed for the summer scheme? Not sure if it is common for people to be allocated their second choice scheme 😬

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Could also be a system error etc.
    Last year, NRF rejected me 12 times after TI lol

I remember a while back we had something similar from PwC. 11 rejections in one night :oops:

I’ve just received ELEVEN rejection emails from PwC - way to really drive home the point I guess!! These have been steadily coming in since about 8:30pm so who knows how many I’ll have by the morning to be honest:rolleyes:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Thank you. I was a mature student and didn’t start uni until I was 23. I moved overseas as a child and once I returned to the U.K. after my A’levels, I had to wait three years to attend university because I wasnt eligible for student finance despite being a British citizen. I also wasn’t in a position to self fund so I worked in a supermarket during this time in limbo and throughout university and the LPC. Although I’m a mature applicant my life skills are only limited to those experiences and I just feel like I don’t even have this to my benefit either.
    Sorry to be negative Nancy and I promise I’m not usually like this, but thank you so much for your insight. I honestly really appreciate it :)
    You're not being a negative nancy at all, this forum is here for people on both their best days and their worst. Living abroad, coming home and needing to make your own ends meet by having to work in a retail role, those are life skills that really not many people have, especially if they come from a more privileged background. Firms honestly value these things just as much as any 9-5 office job (so many firms I interviewed at were far more interested in what I learnt having worked in retail than any of the other traditional corporate jobs I've held) I know how hard it can be to feel like you don't measure up or haven't done enough with life, but your experiences sound impressive enough to me and I promise you there are many firms that will think the same. Sending you all my support. 💓

Peel18416

Standard Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    I know this might come across really badly (and it isn't intended at all) given how much stress/rejection/panic etc. is involved with the whole process, but here goes. In over 10 apps (am limited due to eligibility as second year non-Law), have only been invited to two ACs and received 1 VS offer (Silver Circle), which I guess mounts up the pressure to convert to a TC. I am just used to seeing people getting two/three vac schemes per cycle at my university. Is this to be expected? How would you deal with pressure of trying to convert?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone have any opinions on answering a question - "if you could choose any country in the world for us to open a new office, where would it be?" Thanks!

Naomi and I gave some pretty detailed advice on this here!

• Love
    Reactions: Haz

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Could anybody please confirm if Macfarlanes accepts applications from international students currently studying at UK universities for their direct TC?

This screenshot from their FAQs page is slightly confusing:
    macfarlanes.PNG

Furthermore, I've seen some other sites claiming that they don't sponsor international students.

For clarification, I have a tier 4 student visa and I am applying for their direct TC

Thanks in advance!

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Could anybody please confirm if Macfarlanes accepts applications from international students currently studying at UK universities for their direct TC?

View attachment 2945

Furthermore, I've seen some other sites claiming that they don't sponsor international students.

For clarification, I have a tier 4 student visa and I am applying for their direct TC

Thanks in advance!
    If you graduate this summer or later, you'll be eligible for a two year work visa in any case, so even if Macfarlanes confusing wording precludes you from applying if you don't have working rights in the UK, you would actually have working rights in the UK for the duration of the training programme so can still apply.

Reactions: djqb

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    I know this might come across really badly (and it isn't intended at all) given how much stress/rejection/panic etc. is involved with the whole process, but here goes. In over 10 apps (am limited due to eligibility as second year non-Law), have only been invited to two ACs and received 1 VS offer (Silver Circle), which I guess mounts up the pressure to convert to a TC. I am just used to seeing people getting two/three vac schemes per cycle at my university. Is this to be expected? How would you deal with pressure of trying to convert?
    Very lucky.. I got two ACs and zero offers but we keep pushing. I would say do not worry about the pressure. You are a great candidate and that’s why you got a vac scheme. Focus on doing the basics well(smile, do your work well and be pro-active... and pressure? Forget that individual.. pressure can’t beat you.. you already beat it by getting an offer)

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019

View attachment 2945

Thanks in advance!
    They sponsor

Iqra

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 2, 2020

View attachment 2945

Thanks in advance!
    Looks like they do accept international candidates as long as you have ‘obtained the right to work’. Does your tier 4 student visa allow you to work? If it does, you should be eligible!

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    Looks like they do accept international candidates as long as you have ‘obtained the right to work’. Does your tier 4 student visa allow you to work? If it does, you should be eligible!
    Nope .. they definitely sponsor tier 4 students because they told me they did last year.. I saw the same thing last year.. it’s all dependent on you getting a visa though. Either way, the 2 year thing should cover you as long as you apply for it to cover the whole two years

Reactions: Iqra and djqb

losinghope

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 16, 2021
    Osborne Clarke PFO! Good luck to everyone that got onto the AC!
    We're cheering you on from over here 😂😂😂
    dw-arthur-memes.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.