2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
I'm no

it's very similar to the Links test - situational judgements with a little bit of WG style questioning at the end

What qualities do BCLP look for?
Well rounded individuals who can demonstrate commercial awareness, an interest in current affairs, intellectual curiosity, entrepreneurialism and creativity. Strong intellectually capability, communication and interpersonal skills, drive and commitment, analytical ability, resilience and knowledge of the legal sector / market with an appreciation for client demands and needs.
@cryingoverTCs where did you find these BCLP qualities.

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
I used to work as a lecturer. I think you’re doing the right thing. It’s often the students who are struggling most or feeling most desperate that explore these options, so some general advice sounds like the best way of giving them a gentle and helpful no. FWIW I don’t think a university would be likely to take this further unless a) there was evidence this had been agreed or b) that it had in fact happened.
That's a relief - I really wasn't sure how else to handle this, and I didn't realise that the university may not be able to take this further without extra evidence. Hopefully it will never reach that stage. Also, thank you so much for your guidance!

Reactions: CareerChanger

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    It’s unlikely to cover a training contract. Unless it’s a masters level course, the LPC won’t give you the two year visa. Even if it did, it’s unlikely you training contract would start immediately after your course ends - those that do tend to be the accelerated LPC courses that definitely won’t be covered by a two year graduate visa.
    I completely forgot about the LPC after they said they were a current university student. You're right.

Reactions: djqb

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Firstly, I am so sorry that you had to go through that with the students in your cohort, as well as the pain you must have gone through due to your injury and your personal circumstances. It sounds like a horrendous situation to have been in, and it is extremely admirable that you have gotten to where you are now, despite all of these challenges.

In terms of the situation at hand, I’ve sent them the advice I constructed and they have just responded with thanks, but that they will ‘find a different answer from someone else.’ I am not really sure how to interpret this without being presumptive.

I think if for some reason they gave me concrete evidence that they were going to actually cheat (beyond that message above), I may be obliged to take this further. For now though I think I am just going to remove myself from the situation and hope it does not reach that stage.

Thank you so much for your advice and for sharing your perspective, it has been very helpful!
    In that case, you have done all you can and as @Jacob Miller and others have said, it is their decision what happens now and is not on you. If they come back to you and tell you that they are getting someone else to sit the exam then I think you have to report it because if it came out that you knew and did nothing, you yourself could be guilty of an academic offence so I doubt you'd have much choice sadly.

I really do commend you for how you have handled it so far. Sounds like you have given a very considered and measured response and that person is lucky to have you as far as I'm concerned.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Firstly, I am so sorry that you had to go through that with the students in your cohort, as well as the pain you must have gone through due to your injury and your personal circumstances. It sounds like a horrendous situation to have been in, and it is extremely admirable that you have gotten to where you are now, despite all of these challenges.

In terms of the situation at hand, I’ve sent them the advice I constructed and they have just responded with thanks, but that they will ‘find a different answer from someone else.’ I am not really sure how to interpret this without being presumptive.

I think if for some reason they gave me concrete evidence that they were going to actually cheat (beyond that message above), I may be obliged to take this further. For now though I think I am just going to remove myself from the situation and hope it does not reach that stage.

Thank you so much for your advice and for sharing your perspective, it has been very helpful!
    Thank you for the kind words! Unfortunately these things happen and I just had to keep my head down and push through. Gave me some good answers for resilience questions though, every cloud...

I think you're 100% doing the right thing here. Please feel free to DM me about if anything else crops up and you'd prefer to chat about it in private.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    @Dheepa @Jacob Miller @Daniel Boden @Naomi U @Alice G

For an AC/Interview, where does my commercial awareness need to be? To be specific, are there things I should definitely know about instead of being able to talk about my interests?

This leads me to my follow up question, what can one do in terms of commercial awareness in anticipation of an interview/AC - I have some firms in the works and I hope to have an AC/Interview for any or all of them. Im not saying I will get it but I am so worried that I want to start prepping my commercial awareness/knowledge now rather than after getting the invitation for the AC/interview. What can I do?

For more context, If I get the ACs, they will include a written exercise, partner/associate interview, presentation and negotiation.

Thank you

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    In that case, you have done all you can and as @Jacob Miller and others have said, it is their decision what happens now and is not on you. If they come back to you and tell you that they are getting someone else to sit the exam then I think you have to report it because if it came out that you knew and did nothing, you yourself could be guilty of an academic offence so I doubt you'd have much choice sadly.

I really do commend you for how you have handled it so far. Sounds like you have given a very considered and measured response and that person is lucky to have you as far as I'm concerned.
    Thank you for your kind response!

Honestly, I hope that they were just bluffing in their message. If they weren’t (and I had evidence) like you said, I genuinely do not have much choice but to report them. I just really hope it doesn’t reach that stage

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    @Dheepa @Jacob Miller @Daniel Boden @Naomi U @Alice G

For an AC/Interview, where does my commercial awareness need to be? To be specific, are there things I should definitely know about instead of being able to talk about my interests?

This leads me to my follow up question, what can one do in terms of commercial awareness in anticipation of an interview/AC - I have some firms in the works and I hope to have an AC/Interview for any or all of them. Im not saying I will get it but I am so worried that I want to start prepping my commercial awareness/knowledge now rather than after getting the invitation for the AC/interview. What can I do?

For more context, If I get the ACs, they will include a written exercise, partner/associate interview, presentation and negotiation.

Thank you
    Hi Dwight,

It's challenging to say precisely where your commercial awareness needs to be in terms of specific stories. For me, CA was always a combination of being aware of general news and current affairs as well as how these affect or could affect law firms/ the firm you're at and how these factors ininteract. I think you should also have one or two key stories/ issues in which you are more expert for the sort of "what have you been looking at in the news" issues.

For staying up to date with CA, I personally woukd recommend the Financial Times, Finimize, the TCLA newsletters and also the CA forums here which will be expanding in the coming weeks with @Dheepa and I putting some more discussions in there.

For the other parts of the AC like the negotiation and case study, you might want to look at the articles I've already written on these if you've not read them before.

Hope this helps!

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Thank you for the kind words! Unfortunately these things happen and I just had to keep my head down and push through. Gave me some good answers for resilience questions though, every cloud...

I think you're 100% doing the right thing here. Please feel free to DM me about if anything else crops up and you'd prefer to chat about it in private.
    I’m glad you found the silver lining 😉

And of course, thank you for the offer - I will definitely reach out if things take a turn!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.