2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    If you don't mind me asking, did you have previous vacation schemes (before this cycle), and if so, how many?

I do genuinely feel as though some rejections are very arbitrary. For firms on a rolling basis, I think (from my experience) they reject once they realize they can get the right quality of candidate from the earlier options - I guess
    the shame is on me for late apps but still crazy. Hang in there!

I've never done a vacation scheme before but I have done six open days, legal work experience in house, some more in a law firm in another country, a commercial mini pupillage and worked at a law clinic for the past two years. So although I haven't, I think my background experience has given me just enough context to make a few solid judgments about the kind of areas I'd like to explore. It hasn't stopped me getting interviews before, although for me, converting those into offers has been the problem, and something I've found a lot more challenging than I'd like to admit.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Chloe L

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thank you! Do you remember if it was an email or a phone call? The phone calls are really stressful so I need to mentally prepare myself for it 😄
    I received confirmation by email, but mine was a PFO so I don't know if they would do phone calls for VS offers. In my experience, most firms are email for VS and telephone for TC.

Reactions: Lillith

Lillith

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    I found out quite quickly after mine, maybe a week tops? Might even have been a few days.
    Thank you! Do you remember if it was an email or a phone call? The phone calls are really stressful so I need to mentally prepare myself for it
    I received confirmation by email, but mine was a PFO so I don't know if they would do phone calls for VS offers. In my experience, most firms are email for VS and telephone for TC.
    ah okay thanks, I’ll keep an eye on my emails then :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    First thing I am buying with my trainee salary (if I ever get a TC plz god be nice to me) is a cat and no one can stop me

edit: Actually I will adopt a cat and leave a donation at the cat rescue. Cats need homes.
    Highly recommend. Sid was also my good excuse to make sure I got home at a (slightly more) reasonable hour when my working hours got crazy.

He was a rescue too!

Mena M

Star Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    I agree with this. However, there are many other things you can be doing to improve your chances even more.

You still have time to find some work experience - doesn't have to be at the biggest law firms but can be at smaller high street firms or legal clinics. In fact, it doesn't even have to be legal. If you can get work experiences in professional services experience e.g. marketing, accounting, audit, consulting and the like then they will have plenty of transferrable skills you can leverage. If you have part-time employment then they are also really good to demonstrate transferrable skills. Depending on your background, there are also organisations that can help you gain experience such as Aspiring Solicitors, SEO London, upReach etc. There are also plenty of virtual experiences that you can get through the Legal Cheek Vacation Scheme/Bright Network Internships and Forage. White & Case have said that they'll recognise these (especially their Forage one) as real experience and with firms that don't necessarily recognise it as proper work experience, it will still show them that you're interested in the career. Apply to lots of open days and insight events as well, you'll build your network and get your foot in the door which is a great start!

Apart from work experience, make sure you get involved in societies/sports teams and take leadership positions if you can. They will also help with demonstrating transferrable skills. If your university/uni law society run competitions (negotiations/mooting/commercial awareness) get involved as it'll give you something else to talk about in apps and if you win that's even more impressive. It's also a good idea to get involved in any pro-bono activities your uni might be running, be that helping out in legal clinics or providing free consulting services to small local businesses.

I think GR recognise that getting a VS is super hard but if you can show that you've got good grades (at least a 2:1 in second year is also v important), the transferrable skills through work experiences and extra-curriculars and a genuine commitment to the industry (through open days etc.) then you will have higher chances imo.
    Thank you for this. I have been participating in lots of events, am part of AS, as well as some other stuff you mentioned, so I guess I'll just have to keep building on it and try again next year. :)

Reactions: ilovetheDLR

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    How long does NRF take to respond post-WG for summer scheme?

I did mine late last week and haven't heard anything - what about anyone else who got invited to take the WG and did it?

Would really appreciate a response.

CorporateB3

Star Member
    Jul 1, 2020
    I've never done a vacation scheme before but I have done six open days, legal work experience in house, some more in a law firm in another country, a commercial mini pupillage and worked at a law clinic for the past two years. So although I haven't, I think my background experience has given me just enough context to make a few solid judgments about the kind of areas I'd like to explore. It hasn't stopped me getting interviews before, although for me, converting those into offers has been the problem, and something I've found a lot more challenging than I'd like to admit.
    You are so deserving, I really hope something comes through soon. Thanks for sharing this btw, appreciate the honesty.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Naomi U
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.