2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
i'm a second year law student and haven't yet managed to secure any legal experience/vs, what are my chances as a third year student applying for vs?
Don't worry about it - I didn't secure one in my second year either. I barely passed any applications, in fact. I've done much better this year (results still pending)

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Just a special thanks to those who have posted rejections, awaiting and successful apps!

People always talk about their successes but this forum is very good at normalising rejection as sometimes I feel like I am the only one getting rejected especially at this time when I have a few firms that have been silent!:)
    Hey, I really wish I had found this forum before now - I really want to be able to now bring hope to others who are feeling down. I finally have a TC offer accepted, but it’s my fourth year. In second year uni I thought I’d managed it, I had a summer vac scheme with a MC firm, I did well, I tried my best, my feedback was good but the interview went badly. It was a rejection. The next year I focused on uni, did about 7 applications, was rejected at app stage each time. The year after, I’d graduated, I got a job, I applied for more vac schemes, I did a winter vac scheme at a big international firm and my feedback was great but again, anxiety got the better of me and I was rejected at the end because of the interview. I tried applying for some direct TCs in the summer. rejected again. Then this year I applied for some vac schemes, some direct TCs, I made it past the app stage on all the applications, I had worked on commercial awareness, I entered the aspiring solicitors commercial awareness competition, I was doing a masters, I kept progressing through the competition, I managed to be chosen as a winner of the competition, a week after I had an AC with a MC firm, I passed the AC, I got the training contract. I accepted.

For three years I felt awful, I felt inadequate and not good enough and that I didn’t know how to change my luck, I felt like everyone I knew had already got TCs and I was the ‘last one’ from my uni cohort. I wish others could know that if you’re facing rejection you’re not alone, if you’ve cried and felt awful about yourself and felt like you’ll never get your TC offer, if you’ve been rejected by your ‘dream firm’ after spending hours on an application and attending events, I can entirely relate. I hope if you relate to any of those feelings currently your luck changes soon - mine did and I’m sure yours will too ❤️

RNA

Oct 8, 2020
    Does anyone have any tips for a Taylor Wessing AC?
    Ive been practicing the general competency Q's and sharpening up on commercial awareness - Big Tech, Retail, GDPR, BREXIT (any other good subject areas that you can recommend???)

Ive never done a group exercise or commercial awareness excercise before so any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys! :)

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hey, I really wish I had found this forum before now - I really want to be able to now bring hope to others who are feeling down. I finally have a TC offer accepted, but it’s my fourth year. In second year uni I thought I’d managed it, I had a summer vac scheme with a MC firm, I did well, I tried my best, my feedback was good but the interview went badly. It was a rejection. The next year I focused on uni, did about 7 applications, was rejected at app stage each time. The year after, I’d graduated, I got a job, I applied for more vac schemes, I did a winter vac scheme at a big international firm and my feedback was great but again, anxiety got the better of me and I was rejected at the end because of the interview. I tried applying for some direct TCs in the summer. rejected again. Then this year I applied for some vac schemes, some direct TCs, I made it past the app stage on all the applications, I had worked on commercial awareness, I entered the aspiring solicitors commercial awareness competition, I was doing a masters, I kept progressing through the competition, I managed to be chosen as a winner of the competition, a week after I had an AC with a MC firm, I passed the AC, I got the training contract. I accepted.

For three years I felt awful, I felt inadequate and not good enough and that I didn’t know how to change my luck, I felt like everyone I knew had already got TCs and I was the ‘last one’ from my uni cohort. I wish others could know that if you’re facing rejection you’re not alone, if you’ve cried and felt awful about yourself and felt like you’ll never get your TC offer, if you’ve been rejected by your ‘dream firm’ after spending hours on an application and attending events, I can entirely relate. I hope if you relate to any of those feelings currently your luck changes soon - mine did and I’m sure yours will too ❤️
    You are incredible, keep being you. Congrats on your TC!

Nice doggo by the way, whats its name? :)

• Love
    Reactions: PositiveVibesOnly

els124

Distinguished Member
    Sep 26, 2020
    Cleary PFO

Does anyone know if the criteria are significantly different for US firms over UK firms?
    I've applied for a lot of UK firms this year and passed the application stage for every single one. But I also applied to two US firms (Cleary and W&C), and got rejected straight from the application form. Can anyone think of any reason why this might be?

I'm at a top uni that I know will appeal to US firms, and I got a 1st last year so it can't be my grades. And I've got past the application stage on other applications that require cover letters, so I don't think it's that...

Maybe I'm reading way too much into this but it does feel weird that I've had such a difference in success between UK and US firms

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    You are incredible, keep being you. Congrats on your TC!

Nice doggo by the way, whats its name? :)
    Thank you so much lovely! 😘 He’s my little (not so little) cockapoo called Woody, he’s nearly 11 and been a complete lifesaver during the last year with lockdown as he’s been my daily walking buddy!

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind message, I have been feeling super down lately because I expected this cycle to be a lot better but your message has really lifted me up ❤️

I hope you celebrated your TC thoroughly after 3 tough years and if not then bring on 21st June!!🥳🥳

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Thank you so much for your kind message, I have been feeling super down lately because I expected this cycle to be a lot better but your message has really lifted me up ❤️

I hope you celebrated your TC thoroughly after 3 tough years and if not then bring on 21st June!!🥳🥳
    I’m glad it’s even remotely helped, I just really want you to not feel hopeless - I promise if you keep going you will get there (and I’m not saying in any way that the keeping going isn’t immensely hard at times!) ❤️ Your good news day will come and it will be worth it (even if you’d have preferred a faster and easier journey there!)

thank you so much lovely, it was a champagne and takeaway affair due to lockdown but looking forward to finally celebrating with some friends - bring on June 21st indeed!! ✨

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I’m glad it’s even remotely helped, I just really want you to not feel hopeless - I promise if you keep going you will get there (and I’m not saying in any way that the keeping going isn’t immensely hard at times!) ❤️ Your good news day will come and it will be worth it (even if you’d have preferred a faster and easier journey there!)

thank you so much lovely, it was a champagne and takeaway affair due to lockdown but looking forward to finally celebrating with some friends - bring on June 21st indeed!! ✨
    You're the best!! Thank you for your time in responding to a stranger, it means a lot ❤️❤️

Champagne and takeaway sounds fab, until my time comes I am celebrating vicariously through you 🤩 🥳

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

This is very inspirational, thank you so much for sharing! Would you be okay if we feature this post in our newsletter?

You should be very proud of how you stayed persevering after multiple cycles.

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    This is very inspirational, thank you so much for sharing! Would you be okay if we feature this post in our newsletter?

You should be very proud of how you stayed persevering after multiple cycles.
    Hey, yeah of course that’s entirely fine with me! Thank you so much by the way, it’s something that’s much easier to look back on now I’m through the other side. I just really want others to feel hopeful rather than hopeless as the application and rejection process felt so demoralising and impossible at times, and I just want others to be reassured that, no matter where they are in their journey, they can do it! ☺️

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen, jan28 and JoNo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.