Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys, could anyone please provide some advise on how to go about choosing a department for a vacation scheme? Or point me towards the right thread and people?

thanks a ton!
    I have slightly different advice for this than what’s already been said. I tended to pick at least one seat in a department which I knew I had some experience in. Basically playing to my strengths because I thought it would help that I had background knowledge for any of the tasks I was given.

Obviously am aware that this isn’t the most relevant if you’ve never had experience at a law firm but if you have it’s something worth considering. During my first ever VS because of my prior banking knowledge my supervisor gave me loads more work than she admitted herself she would normally give a student without that knowledge. Although I didn’t get a TC from it the knowledge I gained from all the work I did was super useful when applying again. On my Latham vac I can definitely say that what I already knew about banking terms made my life a lot easier when it came to one of the tasks we were being assessed on.

There’s very little you can control about a VS but I think skewing things in your favour where you can helps at least slightly. Just something extra to think about!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I've yet to hear back from Freshfields post-app either.

I did my Vac Scheme interview with HSF yesterday and still waiting to hear back from them - I heard that if they want you they let you know very quickly so I'm getting nervous :S

If it makes you feel better, HSF didn’t want me and let me know super quickly as well. Try not to stress about the wait. They have back to back ACs so maybe they’re waiting to finish this week’s up before letting people know. ☺️

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    shearman pfo for summer. slightly late to the discussion about this year being quite abysmal for application success but I'm truly baffled by it now. last year when i was still quite an amateur had 7 apps get past the initial stages and eventually a vac scheme and this year it's the complete opposite. idek

applied early Jan if anyone's wondering !

edit - tempted to write them a poem now

Last edited:

law230

Esteemed Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    shearman pfo for summer. slightly late to the discussion about this year being quite abysmal for application success but I'm truly baffled by it now. last year when i was still quite an amateur had 7 apps get past the initial stages and eventually a vac scheme and this year it's the complete opposite. idek

applied early Jan if anyone's wondering !
    I agree. I think this year, law firms are particularly oversubscribed. Its getting harder and harder to get past the app stage.

Lillith

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    I've yet to hear back from Freshfields post-app either.

I did my Vac Scheme interview with HSF yesterday and still waiting to hear back from them - I heard that if they want you they let you know very quickly so I'm getting nervous :S
    I did my interview with HSF on Tuesday and haven’t heard back either, so hopefully they’re waiting until the end of the week and we’ll hear back today! I think (but not sure) the last interviews were this week and people from previous ACs have already received offers, so it might be that there are limited spaces and they want to interview everyone before making decisions (at least that’s what I hope!). Good luck!

Leen

• Sep 15, 2020
    Shearman PFO post app.
    On a more positive note, I have an AC with A&O in a few days and wanted to ask if you guys take a different approach to partner interviews than GR interviews? Ofc I understand they're contextually different, but I mean more like how you speak if that makes sense?
    Currently self-isolating with all of my family too, so that should be interesting…

els124

Distinguished Member
    Sep 26, 2020
    Shearman PFO post app.
    On a more positive note, I have an AC with A&O in a few days and wanted to ask if you guys take a different approach to partner interviews than GR interviews? Ofc I understand they're contextually different, but I mean more like how you speak if that makes sense?
    Currently self-isolating with all of my family too, so that should be interesting…

I base my interview style more off the interviewer's vibe than formal positions. I'd say you need to be formal but friendly no matter who you're speaking to.
    However, you should definitely be asking GR different questions than the ones you ask partners. I think that's the only big difference.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.