2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Sure. The firm is HFW which already consults on cyber security (helping clients identify risks, mitigate them and respond in a crisis). They also consult on climate change risk and helping clients navigate regulation etc.

I like these, thanks. The answer asks to focus on one idea with a 350 word count so I need to make sure it is something substantial! I will look into these, thanks again.
    Thanks for this. I'm not super familiar with the firm on a personal level, but I can suggest how I would personally go about this question:

I'd start by making a mind map of everything that the firm currently offers. Then, I'd take a look at the other firms that HFW are primarily competing against. Cross-reference everything that those firms offer with everything HFW offer, see what elements HFW currently offer that they don't and also vice versa. Also try and think of areas that neither HFW nor any of its competitors offer. Consider what items that HFW could offer to both catch up with competitors who have offerings in that area, and also what could put it ahead of competitors, and build an answer out from there.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Thanks for this Jacob. I had begun doing this but really felt like I wasn't managing to make any progress - I guess I will keep going and see if I come across anything.

I'm stuck on the same one! It's pretty hard actually as the firm seems to have gone for a strategy of trying almost EVERYTHING, actually difficult to see areas where they don't have some expansion drive!

Reactions: KS94

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi guys s

Hi, Thank you so much for this!!

This may be a silly question but could you please elaborate which seats/ practise areas are typically advisory vs contentious vs transactional?
    Hiya!

Not silly at all! Jacob made a really great article on this which will sum it all up ☺️

• Love
    Reactions: 0603

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone received the research questions from Reed Smith for the summer VS? I applied on the 17th of Feb, got the results from my SST but have not heard anything since...
    I am assuming Reed Smith send the research questions in batches, so I seem to have lucked into getting it soon after the SST (did mine on 8th Feb so just before you) when I think others who got them at the same time as me were waiting a while. I wouldn't worry! They're probably reading through this batch of answers before they invite the next batch!

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    Hi! Thank you to all the tips everyone gave me regarding my question on choosing a department for a VS.

I had two follow up questions, if anyone has tips and advise on it.
    1. what kind of D&I networks/ what extent can a vac schemer get involved in? If any vac schemer or future trainee has any experience and advise on this?
    2. Is there a dedicated group/ thread with vac schemers and future trainees? Would love to pick your brains. 🙈

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Glad it's not just me on this! Absolute nightmare
    Remember that the firm was known as a predominantly shipping firm and now is serious full service firm. Consider the challenges ahead after COVID and Brexit. The firm is massive in marine insurance and there have been serious implications because of COVID. Believe me when I tell you there are ship owners crying their eyes out. So what kind of services could change to grow the firm and which countries present more opportunities for the firm to grow?

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Remember that the firm was known as a predominantly shipping firm and now is serious full service firm. Consider the challenges ahead after COVID and Brexit. The firm is massive in marine insurance and there have been serious implications because of COVID. Believe me when I tell you there are ship owners crying their eyes out. So what kind of services could change to grow the firm and which countries present more opportunities for the firm to grow?

So... a counselling phone line for ship owners? I call it... Samaritimes? 🤣

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi! Thank you to all the tips everyone gave me regarding my question on choosing a department for a VS.

1. what kind of D&I networks/ what extent can a vac schemer get involved in? If any vac schemer or future trainee has any experience and advise on this?
    2. Is there a dedicated group/ thread with vac schemers and future trainees? Would love to pick your brains. 🙈
    Hey,

in re 1: Vac schemes will almost always include one (or more) presentation/s about D&I/ networks within firms, but don't come with the opportunity to actually take part in these groups in my experience - this would be impractical for a 1/2 week scheme. There would be nothing, though, to prevent you from reaching out to members of these networks to arrange a virtual coffee and ask about their experiences thereof!
    2: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....al-elite-anything-new-tcla-team-members.2911/ will be your best place.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

You can sign up to any events/attend them but that’s probably going to be the extent you can get involved with them during a vac scheme.

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Has anyone received the research questions from Reed Smith for the summer VS? I applied on the 17th of Feb, got the results from my SST but have not heard anything since...
    I haven’t heard a thing since submitting my application! But I think that’s because I submitted on the 18th completely unaware that they closed the application early on the 17th😂

Do you think it’s worth emailing them and explaining that I did not realise? Or just leaving it?

Last edited:

josemourinho

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    freaking out about the debevoise AC/Open Day a little! has anyone done it before (or is there a forum post on it?)
    From what I have gathered from friends who did the AC in previous years, there is a big emphasis on getting to know you as a person and going beyond the superficial 'why Debevoise'. Its quite a small trainee intake and they really want to make sure it is a good fit. Idk how good this advice is but I think the reason they put such a big emphasis on the Open Day/ AC being one day is bc they want to do more than just 'assess' you and want to get to know you a bit.
    I am in the same boat though and not really sure what to expect! Hope this helps and best of luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Holly

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    hey guys so I'm completing the WBD app and in the work exp section is says this:
    "Please describe how your experience in this role matches the job you are applying for. Think about how the experience you've gained would help you be successful in performing your duties."

do I have to do something different to normal work exp sections?

Don't think you need to do anything different here. It's not necessary to emphasise/spell out that you gained certain skills when explaining work experience because GR are usually able to pick this out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.