Status
Not open for further replies.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Hey guys! I would really appreciate some advice.

I'm feeling very very burnt out by this process. I received 6 AC invitations (which I am truly grateful for) but I am finding myself becoming more and more exhausted by each one. I have three coming up this week (Monday Tuesday and Wednesday) and I am tempted to drop out of one as I think doing all three will not only have a negative impact on my performance but also my mental health. I wake up each morning in a panic, am exhausted throughout the day and am starting to develop really bad self doubt. However, I do not want to regret my decision of not attending the AC.

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know :(

Badawy

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 19
  • Apr 4, 2020

I'm feeling very very burnt out by this process. I received 6 AC invitations (which I am truly grateful for) but I am finding myself becoming more and more exhausted by each one. I have three coming up this week (Monday Tuesday and Wednesday) and I am tempted to drop out of one as I think doing all three will not only have a negative impact on my performance but also my mental health. I wake up each morning in a panic, am exhausted throughout the day and am starting to develop really bad self doubt. However, I do not want to regret my decision of not attending the AC.

I've never been in this specific position - and ultimately, you know what is best for you. But when I have been in similar ones, I take refuge in the fact that by the end of the week, it'll all be over. Sometimes you just have to push through, but at the same time, be cautious of your mental health. I'd hate to give you such a stoic piece of advice otherwise.

Exercise can be a great distraction as well! Have you spoken to your friends/family about how stressed you are? That also helps me.

• 🤝
    • Wow
    Reactions: OB, YJ, cmaj and 6 others

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

I can relate completely because this was exactly how I felt this time last week. I did five VIs, assessment centres and partner interviews in a period of just over a week. It was feeling like a full time job and I was on edge for much of the time.

The only thing I can really say is that you are *almost* there - you just need to push a little further and then you can enjoy a break from the process. Just try to keep up the intensity and remind yourself of what you are trying to accomplish. As for dropping an AC - if you feel that you would be better prepared and ready doing that then go for it.

At the end of the day, you wouldn't have gotten to this stage if you didn't have a lot to offer. Don't forget that :)

Last edited:

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020

Ahh I completely know the feeling, honestly doing 3 in a row does sound quite exhausting and i think you have valid concerns about doing so many having an impact on your performance.

i would personally try to be strategic…

consider cancelling tuesday’s as it might be more helpful to have a day’s break

do any of the exercises seem to overlap? is there anything new you would have to do lots of prep for? on one hand it might be good for your development to try something new but on the other, might just mean you have to spend more time on preparation

ofc consider the timings of each one, some ACs start early morning and end quite early, others can drag on for the whole day !

if it’s for a VS: have you looked at all the VS dates and whether you can make them? do you know anything about their conversion rates as some firms recruit more from VSs than others? probs more worth trying to go for one where you have an 80% chance of getting a TC rather than one for which you would only have a 20% chance - (obv generally evaluate which firms you like the most and would be the “best fit”)

i think it’s always hard to give up opportunities but if you feel like you’re struggling, it’s best to prioritise your health!

also enthusiasm and passion are so important in coming across well to an interviewer - perhaps be honest with yourself n decide whether you would be able to convey that fully for each AC

there are times when you’re tired and adrenalin kicks in n everything’s fine but over 3 days, it might be a bit much

Reactions: axd and 33c

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

In addition to the great comments the others have added, as a last resort consider trying to reschedule an AC, as opposed to dropping out. If you were honest about the stresses you are under next week, perhaps with the law firm that you are less fussed about, it may be possible that they could fit you in at a later date.

FL0011

Standard Member
    Sep 9, 2020
    In addition to the great comments the others have added, as a last resort consider trying to reschedule an AC, as opposed to dropping out. If you were honest about the stresses you are under next week, perhaps with the law firm that you are less fussed about, it may be possible that they could fit you in at a later date.

Agree with this! I was in a similar position - I had 6 ACs within a space of 10 days. I contacted three of the firms and they were more than happy to interview me at a later date - I was given a choice of dates in a few weeks’ time. Maybe it’s worth a try to ask?

I know how stressful this time is - I hope you’re okay and hang in there - you’ve done amazing to get this far @33c :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.